Been Absent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been absent lately and I miss you guys. I figured I would take a minute and show you guys why I have been absent from here.

I gave been pouring every waking hour on this project from working on the design to developing the tooling. I am finally nearing a point where I can start shipping them. The fuselage mold needs some final tweaks but the wing and tails are dialed in.

Attachments

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice looking, I see a wingtip tab, is it a discuss launch?

I have a DJ Aerotech Chrysalis hand launch that I used to fly a lot more, it's a bit rough around the edges now, but a fine flyer.

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
Very nice looking, I see a wingtip tab, is it a discuss launch?

I have a DJ Aerotech Chrysalis hand launch that I used to fly a lot more, it's a bit rough around the edges now, but a fine flyer.
Yup she's a 1.2m DLG. You are showing our age mentioning the Chrysalis.....lol

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yup she's a 1.2m DLG. You are showing our age mentioning the Chrysalis.....lol
True! I folded the wing once, and rebuilt the fuselage as a V-tail. Lots of fun.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice indeed!
What will it retail at?

Btw, until this thread, I did not know discuss launching was a thing. As for age, I once built but never flew a House of Balsa 2X2.

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
Very nice indeed!
What will it retail at?

Btw, until this thread, I did not know discuss launching was a thing. As for age, I once built but never flew a House of Balsa 2X2.
The plan is to keep the retail around $400. Some of the materials I could acquire quite reasonably just a couple of years ago have gotten quite expensive. One has actually quadrupled.

I love RC Soaring and in particular hand launch. If folks are interested I can go into all the thought and design work that went into this plane. I draw from all my experiences when designing and rocketry had quite a bit of influence on this plane.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I assume it is mostly composite? Is that kevlar and carbon? What are the wings built from?

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
It is indeed composite. The fuselage is carbon fiber, Kevlar and fiberglass. I may drop the Kevlar because it is difficult to make clean cuts when installing radio gear.

The wing has foam core that has a 60 psi compression strength with fiberglass skins. The glass I like has gotten so expensive I may just switch to carbon fiber skins. The carbon fiber skins require more care but they are very light and stiff.

We are looking at a flying weight of 180 grams with a fiberglass wing. With a carbon wing I think it could be 160 grams.

Attachments

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been absent lately and I miss you guys. I figured I would take a minute and show you guys why I have been absent from here.

I gave been pouring every waking hour on this project from working on the design to developing the tooling. I am finally nearing a point where I can start shipping them. The fuselage mold needs some final tweaks but the wing and tails are dialed in.
Where’s the motor go?;)