Be Careful This weekend..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Each year, the day January 1st historically
has the more traffic deaths than any other day of the year...
Please be super careful out there this weekend...
Too my wife Sandy and I drinking and driving is the biggest no no their is..
Never forget,, "Tomorrow is not promised"...
Our lives are such a gift,, not to be taken for granted...
It's just not worth the risk...

Have a super fun and wonderful time,,
But please be safe this weekend........

Teddy

Good advice and a good reminder.

We just got snow overnight so the roads are slippery in the area. Obey the speed limit and be even more careful when the conditions are less than ideal.

Mom's going to seaside to see her multi millionaire friend. Mom always takes a separate vehicle, because the rich snob lady however nice just can't learn to stop texting and driving. We've all screamed at her to stop. She has enough money to buy new BMWs as if they were disposable baby wipes. Mom told me how her friend was tailgating a dump truck doing 80 and texting then crashed. Mom refuses to ride with her.

Then dad always rants how it never fails every holiday the rich people put legit briefcases full of cash in front of corporate jet pilots to go to Aspen or some other mountain sh*thole in basically what amounts to a blizzard. Dad always refused then replied money doesn't matter if you won't live to spend it all. He's seen customers hit the jet before physically in anger. They don't like the truth apparently. I totally lol'D. He flew through gunfire in military but is like blizzard, NOPE. Hahaha... And the thing about traveling is you are sharing the road with these mindless jerks that don't care about their own lives let alone others.

Mom's going to seaside to see her multi millionaire friend. Mom always takes a separate vehicle, because the rich snob lady however nice just can't learn to stop texting and driving. We've all screamed at her to stop. She has enough money to buy new BMWs as if they were disposable baby wipes. Mom told me how her friend was tailgating a dump truck doing 80 and texting then crashed. Mom refuses to ride with her.

Then dad always rants how it never fails every holiday the rich people put legit briefcases full of cash in front of corporate jet pilots to go to Aspen or some other mountain sh*thole in basically what amounts to a blizzard. Dad always refused then replied money doesn't matter if you won't live to spend it all. He's seen customers hit the jet before physically in anger. They don't like the truth apparently. I totally lol'D. He flew through gunfire in military but is like blizzard, NOPE. Hahaha... And the thing about traveling is you are sharing the road with these mindless jerks that don't care about their own lives let alone others.

Can you ever say anything nice about anything/anyone or are you just a naturally born cynic?

Oh, a few associated thoughts:
One, I have a couple extended family in law enforcement, one a State Trooper who may well be out there on the roads.
Two: I don't drink, the drinks taste like rotting vegetables.
Three:
Sunday
Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 7. Wind chill values between -8 and -14. North northwest wind 8 to 11 mph.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around -10. Wind chill values between -14 and -24. North northwest wind 7 to 11 mph.
New Year's Day
Sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Wind chill values between -16 and -26. Northwest wind 6 to 8 mph.

and
Hazardous Weather Conditions

Wind Chill Advisory in effect from December 30, 06:00 PM CST until January 1, 12:00 AM CST
Wind Chill Advisory in effect from January 1, 12:00 PM CST until January 2, 12:00 PM CST
Wind Chill Warning in effect from January 1, 12:00 AM CST until January 1, 12:00 PM CST
Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Kansas City/Pleasant Hill MO
510 AM CST Sat Dec 30 2017

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Cold arctic air will push down into our area today dropping
temperatures into the single digits and wind chill values from zero
to 19 below zero with the colder wind chills along the Iowa and
Missouri border where a wind chill advisory is in effect.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday

Sunday the temperatures will continue to fall with lows ranging form
single digits to 10 below zero near Iowa. Winds will pick up Sunday
dropping wind chill values down to between 10 and 25 below zero with
all of the area being under a wind chill advisories. The coldest push
of cold air will come New Year`s Eve into New Year`s Day with
temperatures dropping between 5 and 20 below early Monday morning and
wind chills between 20 and 35 below zero. These wind chill
temperatures are extremely dangerous as frost bite and hypothermia
can occur within minutes. Outside activities should be avoided and if
outdoors, dress in layers, cover exposed skin, and make sure people
know your whereabouts.

and

Wind Chill Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Kansas City/Pleasant Hill MO
1149 AM CST Sat Dec 30 2017

...Dangerous Wind Chills Saturday Through Tuesday...

.Dangerous Wind Chills are expected now through Tuesday afternoon
in northern MO and this evening through Tuesday afternoon for
areas south of HWY 36. It can only take 30 minutes or less to
experience frostbite or hypothermia in these conditions.

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO MIDNIGHT CST SUNDAY NIGHT...
...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT SUNDAY
NIGHT TO NOON CST MONDAY...
...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON MONDAY TO NOON
CST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Dangerously cold wind chills expected. Wind chills will
range from 15 to 25 degrees below zero tonight. Wind chills
will range from 20 to 30 degrees below zero Sunday night. Wind
chills will range from 15 to 25 degrees below zero Monday night.

* WHERE...Portions of east central and northeast Kansas and
central, north central, northeast, northwest and west central
Missouri.

* WHEN...The Wind Chill Warning will be in effect from midnight
Sunday night to noon CST Monday. The Wind Chill Advisory will
be in effect from 6 PM this evening to midnight CST Sunday
night, and again from noon Monday to noon CST Tuesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS....The cold wind chills will cause
frostbite and hypothermia symptoms in as little as 30 minutes.
Staying indoors is recommended, but if going outside, make
sure you have the appropriate clothing and an emergency kit
with blankets in your vehicle.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Chill Warning means the combination of very cold air and
the wind will create dangerously low wind chill values. Frost
bite can occur quickly and even hypothermia or death if
precautions are not taken.

Two: I don't drink, the drinks taste like rotting vegetables.

More money for rockets, fireworks, guns, ammo, nice food, random hobbies, and trainsets eh? I never understood why people pay money to have a hangover. There's so much more awesome stuff to do. You can even go play with real gators on a putt putt course in some states!

Sounds like someone is really miserable without it. Keep it up.

Good point Teddy. My wife and I stocked up on food for today and tomorrow. We plan on sitting by the TV playing with our little fur baby and not doing a damn thing otherwise.

Everyone have a safe and prosperous and wonderful and healthy New Year....

Teddy

I took a suitcase full of cash and made it into Aspen for the evening. Happy New Year everyone.

I may try to wake up and watch the fireworks if there are any (we're on vacation in Oceanside, CA) but, then again, maybe I won't...

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I'm gonna wake my neighbors up with some mortars when it turns midnight. The firework kind. ROFL.

Could easily wind up as a statistic. :clap:
No. I have experience with these Black Cat consumer grade ones... You light fuse without sticking your face over the top of it. Kneel next to about 2ft away from tube, light fuse with shell inserted one side up into tube then run. Put a brick on the tube baseplate so it don't tilt. They go about 300ft up then explode usually 100ft radius of sparks. 60 grams of BP per shell. Some idiots will hand toss a 38mm diameter by 4" long mortar as a firecracker, I don't do that, because some idiots have lost there hands and wind up as statistics with digits missing or entire palms gone. Worst case some didn't live the ones who put baseplate on head at drunken parties then walked around and had a fuse light. You can go read the statistics for yourself if you want and the stories out there... They are in my humble opinion more directionally safe than bottle rockets which have bad stability so it's an ideal firework when one has to deal with trees surrounding certain neighborhoods.

I have had the mighty midget 12" tall tube mortars explode when used as directed by poor quality control. They even have fiberglass tubes on the larger consumer grade mortars to prevent the shell getting stuck in tube. Worst case is the tube tilts towards you when wind blows, which is why I recommend heavy brick on baseplate.

Anyways... Safety First. Pyro Second.

And if you see a shell streaking towards you, there's a few tenths of a second to go perpendicular like worst case so look over your shoulder as you run. That was before I found out about put brick on baseplate and the wind knocked tube over as the fuse was burning. Anyways because of idiot users and statistics ever increasing... You may have to drive to Alabama to buy them depending on local ordinances, because lawyers and this sue happy mentality that exists today. They've banned them in some places, but you can still buy em' elsewhere. 1.4G rules... You can even get Torpedoes which have flash powder charges in small amount.

Famous last words.

HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS... Moments later OOOOOOHHHHH SH*T HEADS UP... Been there done that. I don't drink before fireworks. But some do and they yell hold my beer then it gets even worse...

Then after you've fired a few shells kick the tube over or tip it inverted to get all the hot ashes out. People have dropped the mortar charges right on top of embers and it never ends well. Usually they get the scare of their lives and will piss pants but natural body reactions will usually prevent injury. And if tube is a cardboard tube launcher you might wanna clean the residue out slightly every few shots to reduce chance of it sticking in tube. Check that it slides freely if in doubt.

[video]https://youtu.be/1LlPyYQxLt0[/video] Considered sober.

Dad was more pissed in Vietnam when they shelled the aviator barracks at helicopter pilots. He said he went under the bedding and the shell exploded over the roof, it killed his only bottle of alcohol. He was pissed... Dad has picture of him next to a blown out mortar casing that nearly killed him, grinning like a goofball. The fins were on it and rest was blown apart. The thing he said that scared him of real high explosive mortars is they don't whistle like movies the ground just explodes. And normally pilots had it pretty darn good compared to ground grunts as far as being shot at goes... Hahah.. That was until enemy got mad at helicopter bases bringing gee, more ammo to frontlines, lol. The answer was torch a five mile ring around any helicopter pad... Kept the mortars out of range and anyone crazy enough to set one up would lose tree cover. Never seen a mortar tube itself explode, the military kind, that's creepy...

I don't get why rocket dorks get all bent out of shape over consumer fireworks and statistics. It's freaking new years.

Yup. Lit of one these off for New Years... 14 Degree weather and boring old fart neighbors and noise whatever or sense of "maturity" be whatever.
Hey I did one firework this year instead of several dozen, there's an improvement...

I don't drink much. I don't smoke. I don't play loud music. But every holiday I do fireworks. Because Merica'. And people have died for this beautiful country.

o9MZk.jpg

Yup. Lit of one these off for New Years... 14 Degree weather and boring old fart neighbors and noise whatever or sense of "maturity" be whatever.
Hey I did one firework this year instead of several dozen, there's an improvement...

I don't drink much. I don't smoke. I don't play loud music. But every holiday I do fireworks. Because Merica'. And people have died for this beautiful country.

o9MZk.jpg

Had a boss who stood outside in the parking lot one summer morning with the truck drivers trying in vain to equate a sunrise with patriotism. "Look at that sunrise!" "Doesn't it make you feel proud to be an American?!" Some folks are truly full of themselves. I asked him if he got laid the night before. THAT got the laughs.

Back