BBX Canards and Scheme Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
I am building a Black Brant X and I am having trouble finding scale photos of the typical scheme depicted on LOC's website. Also, from the photos of the BBX I can find online non seem to show the model with canards.

I am at a crossroads now. I am trying to decide if I do a scale scheme or if I strike out and do something off the wall. I am also trying to figure out if I put the canards on or not. They look cool but if the real BBX din't sport them then I am not sure I want to risk them popping off on landing.

The canards are part of a payload package on some flights. There's a good picture in one of the other Black Brant threads. Let me see if I can find it...

I don't think I have seen a picture of a BBX without the guidance unit. Some BBX rockets utilize a Nihka motor (above the BBV motor) to further propel the payload to higher altitudes. Technically I guess it's a three stage rocket but it doesn't seem to be thought of that way. The guidance unit is designed to control the initial ascent trajectory and to help the payload stay within the test boundary areas.

The thing I have come to realize about the Blank Brant rocket system is that the payload varies on each one of them. There is no standard configuration so none are the same. Another thing I have come to realize is that though there have been many launches, pictures are actually pretty rare...

BTW, what you have there is only the top stage (sustainer) of a BBX. It annoys me that they are sold as BBX rockets because it's missing half of the rocket, you know, the whole first stage.

just my 2 cents...

-Bob

Thanks for the info. I might add the canards and go off the reservation for the scheme. Who knows what craziness will come out of being cooped up.

So just to clarify, I guess the BB7-10 are pretty much the same base sustainer with different boosters and payloads. Is that close to correct?

The BB VII is a different rocket. At about 9 feet long it is much smaller.

The Black Brant V (new versions are the "5") is used as the sustainer in the Black Brant VIII, IX, X, XI and XII.

The only things that are constant on the Black Brant V are the fins and the rocket motor/body. The payloads vary by how long they are, how wide they are, the length and shape of the nose cone, the guidance unit, if they have the Nihka motor, etc.

-Bob

IMG_1627.jpeg
In the end I just couldn't help myself. As much as I like the scale color ways, I spent too much time watching airbrush videos on YouTube and got a little inspired. I like to think this might be something the Canadians would have come up with after a good night of drinking.

Back