Bazooka Rocket Build

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Matt Danison, Sep 7, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 7, 2019 #1

Matt Danison

Matt Danison

Matt Danison

I am pondering using a Estes Mini Honest John reconfigured as a WW2 bazooka rocket. This means I would add custom made long fins to the rear of the rocket. I realize I may have to make the fins slightly wider for stability purposes.
    But, here is the neat part. The mini Honest John "bazooka rocket" would fit inside a 3 or 4 foot mailing tube and the mailing tube would be used to launch the "bazooka rocket" straight up. I repeat, straight up. I would put 3 or 4 launch lugs on the outside of the mailing tube and simply slide the mailing tube down the launch rod. I would build the mailing tube to look like a 1/2 scale sized bazooka.
    Or, the launch lugs would be on the "bazooka rocket" and an overly large mailing tube (1/2 scale sized bazooka) would be placed over and around the "bazooka rocket".
    In any case, the mailing tube and the "bazooka rocket" would sit about 8" above the launch pad to let rocket motor exhaust "out".
    Please note, I chose a mini Honest John for this discussion and not a maxi Honest John. From what I have written, these two ideas appear to me to be safe, viable, launch platforms.
    It's just an idea and I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Andrew_ASC likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2019 #2

Oldschool77

Oldschool77

Oldschool77

Similar has been done with the Patriot. I would build a base with a rod then slide the tube over it after your "round" is fully prepped for launch. There is lot of work to be done with that.
    Use OpenRocket to reconfigure your fins to check stability, adjust as needed for the mods. Use heat/flame resistant paint inside your launch tube so it won't be single use. Remember Murphy('s law) thru the build process.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019