Battlestar Galactica

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Leo
Randy, feast your eyes here

WOW..... way to expensive for my blood...... first one closed at $61, and the last two are going for $43 right now!!!!!! Besides I would want one that was at least mid-power.......

Comcast, my beloved cable TV provider, has decided to move SciFi to the digital channels. In exchange I get the All Time Lamest Movie channel or some such. I hate the digital setup becuase you can't watch one channel and record another and the VCR+ doesn't work anymore, not to mention that I already pay them $90 a month for internet and basic cable. I wrote them a nasty email and it was returned as "we do not read emails in your service area." Insert a few choice Anglo-Saxon monosylables here referring to Comcast, the pedigree of their owners, and the quality of their customer service.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
WOW..... way to expensive for my blood...... first one closed at $61, and the last two are going for $43 right now!!!!!! Besides I would want one that was at least mid-power.......

I'm with Ya RM:
I can't believe these prices...I may have to part with my two Colonial Vipers..Still in the bag, It'd just about cover Christmas:D

Why don't you guys Clone your vipers.. BT-50's to BT-80's are a lot of fun! OBTW by turning the nosecone out of solid Balsa or Basswood you don't need as much nose weight:)

I believe my cable service is Comcast, they just moved the Sci Fi channel to a lower channel. That works great for me, because at channel 75, the quality is real poor. At a low channel... I can actually record it :).

I like the show so far :).

So, what are your opinions on the second part? I enjoyed it quite a bit. A couple of interesting twists to the story. I watched the first part again (for the third time) prior to watching the second. All I can say is...."When does the series start?" :)

Originally posted by NUBlackshirts
So, what are your opinions on the second part? I enjoyed it quite a bit. A couple of interesting twists to the story. I watched the first part again (for the third time) prior to watching the second. All I can say is...."When does the series start?" :)

I loved the plot twists like Boomer being a cylon and the fact that Tighe is an alcoholic. I really enjoyed the fact that they included the quest to find Earth, although it is appropriate that this Adama does not believe in the legend.

I am not sure how I feel about the fact that Baltar can see number 6 in his mind while no one else can. I also think it is pretty cool that Galactica can retract its landing pods before making a jump.

If they move forward and produce a series, it would be great if they introduce the story line about the Battlestar Pegasus. Anyone remember that from the original series?

I WANT MORE!!!!!!! :D

I was a big fan of the original BG - however I never got used to seeing Lorne Greene in a sci-fi role after watching him in Bonanza for so many years.
When I first saw the ads on Sci-Fi I thought they were going to re-run the old series. I didn't think the original was cheesy at all, at least no more cheesy than Star-Trek was.
If I remember right I think the original series was created shortly after the success of the first Star Wars movie. The old BG kinda had that Star Wars 'feel' to me.
I was only able to catch a short bit of the new mini-series and what I saw looked good enough to make wanna see the whole thing. Thankfully Sci-Fi will be running it again.

The real die-hard BG fans are so down on this new version because of the gender changes, they also did not like that the Galatica was no a soon to be decommisioned ship and not top of the line.

I thought the gender change was weird as well. I do not think the new Starbuck char is the greatest but it was not as bad as I expected. I really like what they did with the Baltar char works better for me than the original where he was just an out and out trator.

All in all I found it to be a much better show then I expected. I hope it make it to a series.

Scott

I'm an original BG fan as well. But I have one word for this new version: AWESOME!

I loved it and I too want more. I hope it becomes a series. It is possible that Boomer is not a Cylon. Could be just a cliff hanger trick. The Boomer Cylon that we saw at the end may just be a new model that they made to slip into the Galactica when they got the chance.

Didn't mind the gender changes, but I didn't care for Starbuck either. Starbuck seems like the only character that's just as one-dimensional as in the TV show. Funny thing is that the Adama in the 1st show is now really represented by the President of the colonies. One of the reasons I most want to see a series develop is to see the interaction between her and the new Adama.

Pros:
  • I like the new Galactica design (retractable arms!)
  • Ditto the new Vipers
  • Megaditto the new Cylon fighters
  • Baltar actually has a motive
  • Characters aren't as cheesy (for the most part).
  • Adama vs. the President
  • Missiles! (way cool!)
  • Silence (almost) of battle in space (nice drum beat too)

Cons:
  • Some flat acting (not much, tho)
  • Starbuck (I can handle the girl thing, but she never showed me any reason to root for her till the last half hour of the miniseries when she pulled that kick*** move on Apollo in the Vipers and then it was all over)
  • Cylon base stars
  • Human Cylons (gimme those new centurions!) leading to
  • Boomer as a Cylon (hasn't this been done in every bad vampire flick since the beginning of time (not to mention Alias last year)? I hope Milo's right on this one...OR......see below)
  • Machine guns on the Vipers (gimme lasers, for cryin out loud, it's science fiction!!)

Overall, I've got a thumb and a half up. It's a snotload better than the original, but left something to be desired. One thing I found fascinating was the concept that a bunch of these really oddball romances (the comm(?) girl and the President's assistant) being hinted at as soon as it's clear the war is going downhill. Think of the baby boom. Is this an instinct? Either way, that got my attention that they thought of it.

Speaking of which, if it's a series to be and Boomer is a Cylon, can't wait till Boomer and the Chief have a hybrid kid (does that end up actually make the idiotic killing the baby scene make sense?).....

i liked the idea of actual projectile weapons. many times I've seen beam weapons thwarted by some energy barrier or force field and often thought, man if they only had a good old fasion cannon or a .44 magnum... LOL

and Boomer may be a "sleeper"...

Yeah, and her lover for the chief may make her an ally. Or at least some of the time.

I caught the sleeper reference too. I think they tossed it in a few minutes before the end just for that reason. Juuuust like the vampire flicks where the girlfriend is in his grasp and they cut to the hero busting through something to rescue her, supposedly successfully, only to have her eyes flash red or bare a fang the second before the closing credits. Personally, I still don't like that part.

One thing I wanted to mention that got me thinking...

There were

1 Boomer Cylons Shown
2 Civilian Male Cylons shown
3 #6 Female Cylons Shown
3 Space Station Male Cylons Shown

That makes up for 9 of the 12 models

If one died and did not transfer as discussed (the Space Station Male Cylon Adama Killed) and the real Boomer is a Cylon...

...that leaves one left and I am gonna bet it is...

...Baltar (Cylon Network Comm would explain his visions of Number 6)

Something to think about, huh?

I think they mean 12 models as in there have been how many Lincon Mark(blank). They got up to 9 or so "models", but there were thousands of them.

If Baltar were one, why feel the need to put #6 in his head? They explained that pretty well with her "what if, when you were sleeping, I implanted a chip in your head...".

I kinda thought that the president's assistant might be a Cylon. He is a little off, and he made the remark about her acting human when she described her feelings about having cancer.
I also thought that there were 12 kinds of Cylon, one being the robot fighters, one was the robot infantry, the blonde, the reporter, the arms runner, Boomer and ...
I could be wrong about that though.

As for Baltar, remember (those of you who *can*... :D ), that there was a human who was in cahoots with the cylons. If I recall, his figuring was that he wanted to be on the *winning* side and figured the Cylons we gonna win. The Cylons accepted him because of his understanding of humans and humanity.

I think Baltar is heading for *that* role (actually is already there, but the humans don't know yet)

Does anyone know how many parts in this mini-series and if they are considering making it a long run series? seems like a whole lot of great sets and such to scrap after a short run...

jim

The President's assistant was my wife's first guess before they revealed the true Cylon.

Something I had thought about with regards to the creation of Cylons....

If the Cylons are able to create new Cylons, ships, etc. then what is preventing them from replacing some of the other humans on the Galactica in later episodes? Say for instance, they create a Cylon that is exactly like the President and manage to insert it (her?) in the President's place? Just food for thought.

The more I think about it, the more I really like the new BG.

Originally posted by jflis
As for Baltar, remember (those of you who *can*... :D ), that there was a human who was in cahoots with the cylons. If I recall, his figuring was that he wanted to be on the *winning* side and figured the Cylons we gonna win. The Cylons accepted him because of his understanding of humans and humanity.

In the original BG... If I remember correctly... they killed him in the end.

I like this discussion... what I found amazing is at work... some people asked me if I had seen it, and I said yeah... and then we got in a good discussion about it.... :)

This.... and Rocket Challenge :D

Although it didn't make sense to me, I had thought there were 12 human looking Cylons in total. This being 12 types makes more sense. There is certainly a lot of possibilites for the sleepers. I too thought about the president's assistant. And the possibility that Baltar was also a Cylon. This didn't make sense as there would have been no reason to trick him into providing acccess to Earth's mainframes. Unless they didn't want to expose him as a sleeper and knew he'd be useful in tracking down survivors, etc.

I hope they start providing clues to the origin/nature of the human Cylons. Someone brought up the possibility of a Boomer/Chief offspring. You think maybe they are already artificially produced from humans? Maybe from Baltar or his ancestors? Geeesh, I'm spending to much time pondering this show.

Originally posted by Milo
I'm an original BG fan as well. But I have one word for this new version: AWESOME!

I loved it and I too want more. I hope it becomes a series. It is possible that Boomer is not a Cylon. Could be just a cliff hanger trick. The Boomer Cylon that we saw at the end may just be a new model that they made to slip into the Galactica when they got the chance.

I too am a huge fan of the original series and continue to be. I was prepared
to hate this new vision, infact I *wanted* to hate it, that was not the case, I love the new vision and hope it goes to series.

I don't think its a cliffhanger, remember Baltar's cylon gf said that there are "sleeper cylons" that don't realize that thier cylons. I believe Boomer fits into that catagory.

Since we're talking S-F shows, I would like to put in a vote for this show. Yeah, it's another StarTrek spinoff, but it has a different quality from any of the others.
And it doesn't hurt too much to have to look at that Vulcan.

Well, thats a simple answer :)

As I belong to the those people that really liked the original series (and it still my fav show to date) I'm happy to say that finally a worthy successor is back on the air.

- I never liked DS9. Stationary base, yuk

- TNG was good but too feminin, too much drama for my taste

- Voyager came close to the original. Wasn't bad

but "Enterprise" went back to the roots of the original series (obviously).
I can best explain it as a - western in space - and thats my cup of tea :)

I was very sceptical at first (taking place before the original and yet the ship looks a million times better and more modern) but now I really look forward to every episode. I also think the characters fit in nice and find the SFX to be very good.

That said it's my second fav show after Star Trek :)

Flames away :kill:

PS: I knew Enterprise was going to get involved in this thread, I just didn't want to be the first ;)

actually, "Enterprise" warrants it's *own* thread, so that we can leave this one for BG...

just my 2cents :)
jim

good news about the Galactica pickup!

I enjoyed the original series up to "Galactica 1980". But the characters lacked a certain depth and had very static relationships. The new miniseries set up a great deal of opportunities for story lines. One that came out of a "watercooler" discussion: if, as the President says, the humans must go somewhere and have babies; and given a greatly-reduced gene pool to swim in: what do you do with persons like Boomer (Cylonism notwithstanding) and Starbuck? They are strong, healthy women - so do you need them as breeding stock (but depleting your fighting force) or do you leave them on the line (placing their reproductive capacity in jeapordy)?

Ron Moore was responsible for the three best years (IMHO) of ST: TNG and the amazing "Carnivale" on HBO. I have high hopes for the new series.

I recall reading somewhere that a population of at least 500 previously unrelated humans would be the minimum necessary for a healthy gene pool. I don't recall the ratio, but I assume this assumed a 50/50 split between male and female.
There have been population "bottlenecks" in our past. By studying mitochondrial DNA scientists theorize that at one point in the past the human population was reduced to a couple thousand individuals on the entire planet, probably in conjunction with an ice age caused by vulcanism. They pointed to a catastrophic eruption approx. 70,000 years ago.

https://www.fogdeity.com/photo_gallery/sumatra/batakhouse3.html

Back