Battlestar Galactica

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone give me a synopsis on what the heck BG is? I heard it was around before I was born...I think. Anyways, what's the hype all about?

Looks like it should be a good mini-series.

Soooo... did Apollo really die? Or did they go FTL just before the Cylons got them?

And as for the blonde Cylon chick.... she is welcome to kill me anytime she wants to - :D

Originally posted by eugenefl
Can anyone give me a synopsis on what the heck BG is? I heard it was around before I was born...I think. Anyways, what's the hype all about?

BG was a sci-fi tv show series. The basic storyline was that the Cylons were trying to eradicate the human race. Battlestar Galactica, "led a rag-tag fugitive fleet... on a lonely quest... for a planet called.... Earth..." or something like that. Anyway, as they searched for Earth, they were constantly running into Cylon outposts and BaseStars (Cylon version of carriers) and having running battles with them. Baltar was an earthling traitor. For much of the original series he was a Commander in a Cylon Basestar.

This series is shaping up to have a lot stronger characterizations, a lot deeper emotional entanglements. The original series was kind of cheesy and childish where characters were concerned.

But... I would still watch the reruns of the original series if they replayed them.

looks good.

I appreciate the work they did towards realism with the use of yaw, pitch and roll thrusters while landing the thing and while ziping around.

jim

I really enjoyed the show. I read somewhere that Edward Olmos warned die hard fans of the series that they may be disappointed as the new show will differ significantly. I loved the original and thought this was great too.

No way Apollo died. My bet is he used whatever weapons were in the hold of the ship. I thought earlier they said they were EMP somethingoranothers taken from the Galactica, but at that moment I was trying to shrug off a phone call and missed exactly what was said. Anone catch this? If they were EMP maybe that would have made the Cylons run and maybe the EMP is what the Galactica would have sensed when thay decided there was a nuclear detonation. [ramble mode off]

Well, the first hour had me unhappy, but it got better pretty quick and I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow's installment!

Dick is right on with the Apollo synopsis...those two units were EMP generators taken from the Galactica, who used them in wartime. The Cylons were incoming but not firing yet and the EMP pulse from Apollo when he went down to the hanger to fire the generators made it look like the 500k ton explosion that the Galactica sensed.

I really like the smooth quietness of the battles as space is quiet. That is one "feel" of the show that really sticks with me. The drama and suspense is done in a much more professional manner than the original. Also, I have no problem with the current Starbuck...I like her attitude! The only part I want explained is what the Cylons did to disable the first batch of fighters. They haven't said yet.

This is a mini-series and I believe part-two is tonite at 9pm on SciFi...man am I gonna be a couch potato until this is done!

Carl

Got my Firefly DVD's today, I've got all the lightly cheesy sci-fi I need for the next month. :D (man, I loved that show)

I'll give the new Battlestar Galactica miniseries a try... Space, the Canadian verison of Sci-Fi Channel, will be showing it in January.

Originally posted by KenParker
The original series was kind of cheesy and childish where characters were concerned.
Cheesy was a sci-fi traight in the 70's. Anyone remember the Buck Rogers series? To me, that makes its allure. If you take all the campy dialog and poor special effects away, it isn't the same magic. Needless to say, I was not too happy with BG last night, but when I stopped trying to compare it to the original it was better. I did think the story dragged but will still watch tonights installment.

Originally posted by CTulanko
The only part I want explained is what the Cylons did to disable the first batch of fighters. They haven't said yet.
Actually they sort-of have. Remember, the cylons have complete access to the computer systems. And remember the commander saying his ship would never be hooked to the network. Well, obviously the new fighter ships were attached to the network and so the cylons were able to disable them through that connection. It also explains why they couldn't disable the vipers the same way, because they are not linked.

I figured the networking part was the answer Phil, I guess I was just waiting for them to figure it out...that will probably come tonite or later this week.

As far as comparing this to the original, I don't think you can...they are two different takes of the same story...the original being that cheesy "Dukes of Hazzard" or "Starsky and Hutch" type movie that was so popular in those days.

The new one kicks butt on special effects, which it should as they are using 21st century technology. The story line is just as serious, with a slightly darker tone. but this new series wins hands down on drama and suspense...period! At least so far. If it dragged, I didn't see it much...but then again I expected to see some character development and they did it well.

I can't' wait to have it all on tape!

Carl
Recorder still warm...

and I thought we were talking about the rockets :D

viper.jpg

Doug, Check the SciFi channel listings but IIRC they show part one over again tonight, followed by part two twice.

I really like the characters. Starbuck, Olmos, his #2 (there's something going on there that's not obvious, at least to me), even the (new) President. The latter is barely a politician and finds herself the Pres. She is obviously a poised natural leader but also is ill prepared for the war..."gee, lets save a few more people while the Cylons swarm around us". Adama's statement about her being a school teacher will set up some interesting interchanges between the two.

Now I wonder how #6 gets onboard the Galactica?

Originally posted by KenParker
The original series was kind of cheesy and childish where characters were concerned.

Phil already pointed out that "Cheesy was a sci-fi traight in the 70's" and I would go one further. Even Star Trek had its share of cheesy. Remember how everyone had to freeze while they shot their hand-held phasers? And Uhura's short skirts were waaaay cheesy.

I thought it was pretty good, but I missed parts of it including the end. I'll have to watch tonight I guess. I wasn't a fan of the original series, but the special effects in this one are good.
Cylon #6 is a typical woman, cunning, manipulative, but:eek: :eek:

Larry

I loved it. They had me right from the start with the whole "space station meeting" intro. I watched the first showing with my wife, we ended up watching the second showing also. I am looking forward to tonight. :D

(and welcome to the forum, by the way)

Why doesn't your Viper have THREE motor mounts?!!?

I know, it's an Estes kit, and they don't think anyone can operate three motors anymore. But you could have 'bashed' it up a bit and gone for the scale effect-----

Originally posted by eugenefl

Boy Eugene! I knew you were young, but I didn't realize that Galactica was before your time. Wow, now I feel OLD! :eek:

The pilot for Battlestar Galactica was actually released to theaters in SENSURROUND in the late 70s. That was totally epic!! If you are really interested in the original show, all 24 episodes and the feature film are available in a DVD set. Check out https://www.scifi.com/battlestar/classic/dvd/ for details.

I thought the first part of the new miniseries was AWESOME! The story provides the depth that my mature taste craves! I loved the original series, but I was too young to really care about character depth. I could actually care less about the gender-bending that they have done with the characters, although hard-core fans of the original felt that this was sacrilege.

The new version takes the original story to new heights. The original series never explained where the cylons came from. The fact that the cylons can now take on a human form really provides an "enemy among us" aspect that is very interesting and timely given the current state of the world.

The tension between Apollo and his father also adds depth and interest that wasn't there in the original. There is also a lot to be learned about the reluctant leader aspect of Colonel Tighe. Edward James Olmos is also superb in the role of Adama.

The new female Starbuck kicks A S S! She could kick Dirk Benedict's a s s! Dirk Benedict never got to call someone an a**hole in the first series. I also love the fact that they have kept the original cusswords like "frak" and added new ways to say them. For instance, Starbuck at one point says "Frak me!" And someone used it as an adjective, as in "That fraking idiot." I don't remember hearing anyone use the word "felgercarb," so we'll see what happens tonight.

IMHO, fans of the original series that don't like the new version are people that love to live in the past. . . :D

"There are those who believe that life here, began out there."

I just looked up the ebay listings that Leo posted, and those Viper kits are going for $43+! That is just plain NUTS! I certainly can't afford those kind of prices.
This looks like another opportunity for Flying Silverado to step in with a dupli-kit?

Originally posted by powderburner
(and welcome to the forum, by the way)

Why doesn't your Viper have THREE motor mounts?!!?

I know, it's an Estes kit, and they don't think anyone can operate three motors anymore. But you could have 'bashed' it up a bit and gone for the scale effect-----

Honestly: I never thought about the idea :rolleyes:

But I'm a person that likes to build in exact original form I guess :)

Originally posted by powderburner
I just looked up the ebay listings that Leo posted, and those Viper kits are going for $43+! That is just plain NUTS! I certainly can't afford those kind of prices.
This looks like another opportunity for Flying Silverado to step in with a dupli-kit?
Yep, your right!

But here is a little secret. When all is done those things go for over $100! e.g. $112.75 US on 06.10.2003!!

I was lucky to get one for $47 :D so now I have one I built ages ago (picture posted) and a boxed version just in case :cool:

Whats this then...a new series of battle ster galactica hummmph no doubt it will be about 4 years before we get to see it over here in the u.k. But do they have that robot dog in the new series??

Originally posted by arthur dent
Whats this then...a new series of battle ster galactica hummmph no doubt it will be about 4 years before we get to see it over here in the u.k. But do they have that robot dog in the new series??

In the new version, the Cylons are a creation of man that has gone awry. As a result, man is wary of all artifical intelligence. Hence, there is no robot dog.

Sorry that it takes so long to get show like this out there!

ok, I've missed them all so far...is there going to be a catch up night?

I used to really enjoy the old one....

From what I read...this is a 2 part series...they will repeat the opener from last nite tonite at 7pm...followed by part 2 at 9pm on the SciFi channel.

Carl

The robot dog gone? Thank ****! I don't know what the obsesion with 'cute' sidekicks was in the 80s? Scrappy Doo, Godzukie, K9, 1-Rover-1, the BE-DE-BE-DE-BE-DE robot in Buck Rogers in the 25th century? :D

Hope we get it soon, over here. The first series was wicked. The second series (the one with the kids on earth) did suck a little.

Back