Battlestar Galactica Laser Torpedo (Clone)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krusty

Rocket Powered Kangaroo
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently won an ebay auction for a sealed Battlestar Galactica Laser Torpedo rocket (Estes #1311) from 1978.
BoxPhotos.jpg

Not wanting to open the box, I figured I would clone it :)

Both JimZ and Ye Old Rocket Plans have copies of the plans and decals. I found the scans of the decals weren't great so I re-did them in CorelDRAW. Now, just between you and me, the decals aren't 100% accurate but close enough that no one will notice - so keep it quiet.
Laser-Torpedo-1s.jpg Laser-Torpedo-2s.jpg Laser-Torpedo-3s.jpg Laser-Torpedo-4s.jpg

The fins are 1.5mm plywood - a bit thinner than the original kit. The weight is about the same, so it won't be an issue. The nose cone came from Semroc.

If anyone wants, I'm happy to supply the decals I created along with the fin templates, just PM me.

Oh! I also left off the engine hook for no other reason than I've run out!

Krusty

I never realized how similiar this is to the Estes Photon Disruptor I just got on clearance at HobbyLobby for $5.39! I like your clone better!

They are very close to the photon disruptor. I have one from my teen years to build.

Hi All,

I recently won an ebay auction for a sealed Battlestar Galactica Laser Torpedo rocket (Estes #1311) from 1978.
View attachment 110098

Not wanting to open the box, I figured I would clone it :)

Both JimZ and Ye Old Rocket Plans have copies of the plans and decals. I found the scans of the decals weren't great so I re-did them in CorelDRAW. Now, just between you and me, the decals aren't 100% accurate but close enough that no one will notice - so keep it quiet.
View attachment 110099 View attachment 110100 View attachment 110101 View attachment 110102

The fins are 1.5mm plywood - a bit thinner than the original kit. The weight is about the same, so it won't be an issue. The nose cone came from Semroc.

If anyone wants, I'm happy to supply the decals I created along with the fin templates, just PM me.

Oh! I also left off the engine hook for no other reason than I've run out!

Krusty

I left off the engine hook because I hate exposed engine hooks. And yes, those decals were pretty bad.

I agree that it looks great. I'd like to copy it to the gallery if I may.

I never realized how similiar this is to the Estes Photon Disruptor I just got on clearance at HobbyLobby for $5.39! I like your clone better!

Funny you should say that! I found a few references stating that the fins were the same - Semroc lists the fins as the same as K82, ie Photon Disruptor

https://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=155

However, I built the current Photon Disrupter last year and this really confused me - as the fins are obviously different sizes!

PD-LT2s.jpg PD-LT1s.jpg

Then I discovered that there's two Photon Disruptors! K82/1282 is the original & virtually identical to the Laser Torpedo except for the nose cone. And the new Photon Disruptor 003025.

The main difference is the original was BT20/BT50 and the new is BT50/BT55

Turned out great!

I agree that it looks great. I'd like to copy it to the gallery if I may.

Thanks & sure! I had a look, but wasn't able to see a thread in the gallery to start with. More than happy to have this moved.

Krusty

Funny you should say that! I found a few references stating that the fins were the same - Semroc lists the fins as the same as K82, ie Photon Disruptor

https://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=155

However, I built the current Photon Disrupter last year and this really confused me - as the fins are obviously different sizes!

View attachment 110383 View attachment 110382

Then I discovered that there's two Photon Disruptors! K82/1282 is the original & virtually identical to the Laser Torpedo except for the nose cone. And the new Photon Disruptor 003025.

The main difference is the original was BT20/BT50 and the new is BT50/BT55

Thanks & sure! I had a look, but wasn't able to see a thread in the gallery to start with. More than happy to have this moved.

Krusty

I'm not going to move the thread. I'll just copy the original post there. Thanks.

Ok... It's just before Halloween... Time for another zombie to rise!

upload_2019-10-28_14-54-20.png

I'm working on a sim of this kit. However, like Krusty said, the decals I've got are not the best (one image I have looks like it was laid on the scanner, but not pressed flat, another is a photograph that's really low res, and JimZ/YORP). I'm redrawing them in MSPaint, but I don't have a scale to apply to them. If I can nail down the dimension of one of the decals, I can scale them all.

How wide is the "High Frequency" decal?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok... It's just before Halloween... Time for another zombie to rise!

View attachment 397361

I'm working on a sim of this kit. However, like Krusty said, the decals I've got are not the best (one image I have looks like it was laid on the scanner, but not pressed flat, another is a photograph that's really low res, and JimZ/YORP). I'm redrawing them in MSPaint, but I don't have a scale to apply to them. If I can nail down the dimension of one of the decals, I can scale them all.

How wide is the "High Frequency" decal?

Thanks!

I've recently dug out the decals I used for mine - let me know if you want me to send you my file?

Attached :) Let me know if they don't open for you.
A4 size page - print without scaling.

Attachments

• BattlestarGalacticaDecals.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Krusty. I like the cleaned up decals... However, I am still interested in the scan of the actual decals. For archival reasons.

Thanks! That'll do nicely.

Now I am currently at work and I'll be busy for the next few days... I expect that I will get back to this around your Monday.

Back