BattlePark Spring Launch March 24, 25, & 26

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The last launch of the season at BattlePark. This was moved up a week from the original date to separate it from LDRS by two weeks.

Do you have anything you want to do a shake down flight on before LDRS? This is the time and place!

Weather permitting, I'll be there with my EX hybrid for static test. It wasn't quite warm enough last time around.

Gerald

Last edited:
I'm hoping to make it out on the Saturday to pick up a few things from Ken and more so just to say hey to everyone. Looking forward to flying with all of you at LDRS!

I plan to fly my Frenzy XL on some sort of K motor, whichever day has good weather forecast.

I'm hoping to make it out on the Saturday to pick up a few things from Ken and more so just to say hey to everyone. Looking forward to flying with all of you at LDRS!

I just talked with Ken, said he won't be able to make it to Battlepark. He will be at LDRS.

I know. It's going to be great. I'm really hoping to get out there, but won't be able to fly anything big as it's getting ready for LDRS. I'll just come to say hi and shoot some little Zooch Rockets.

The weather is looking nice....I'm hoping to get there for a few hours on Saturday to say hello and try out my LoRa GPS tracker again (last time the receiver antenna came loose) and also launch my new Mate808 camera.

Would there be someone present on Saturday who might be able to take video of my EX hybrid M static test? Usually that would be Jerry O'Sullivan but he has other commitments at this time. I'm out of functional video cameras, though I'll be able to take stills unless I forget the camera.

Tank assembly completed.jpg
Flight tank assembled, but combustion chamber not attached.

Gerald

Last edited:
Would there be someone present on Saturday who might be able to take video of my EX hybrid M static test? Usually that would be Jerry O'Sullivan but he has other commitments at this time. I'm out of functional video cameras, though I'll be able to take stills unless I forget the camera.

View attachment 315301

Gerald

I plan to be there Saturday with my Nikon D7200 SLR. I'd be glad to shoot a video, just give me a heads up before the static test. I'm the one with the black Ford F350 dually.

I plan to be there Saturday with my Nikon D7200 SLR. I'd be glad to shoot a video, just give me a heads up before the static test. I'm the one with the black Ford F350 dually.

Correction: you're the one with rockets that look like the belong in the showroom floor...not in the air!! You could drive a prius and we could pick you out!! :)

I'm hoping to make it out this weekend but I'm not sure what will be ready to fly. I've had to cancel my trip to LDRS so this would be my last launch of the season. On a related note, if anyone from the Battlepark group wants to squat in my reserved parking spot, you're welcome to do so.

I'm hoping to make it out this weekend but I'm not sure what will be ready to fly. I've had to cancel my trip to LDRS so this would be my last launch of the season. On a related note, if anyone from the Battlepark group wants to squat in my reserved parking spot, you're welcome to do so.

Ah man. Sorry to hear you had to cancel LDRS!

Me too. Instead chasing rockets, I'll be having minor but annoying surgery on my foot. I was hoping to put off another week but then recovery would start interfering with work.

I will be there all three days. Bright and early sat / sun , and as early as I can Friday.

Have to work Friday....
Looks like I have a green light for Saturday.

Janet is on the road to recovery from two rounds of cataract surgery - so I haven't been able to prepare much - and Ben, she sends you and Elaine her thanks and regards for your reassuring words.
She is much in awe of her improved vision.

For reasons I won't get into, I am now unable to come our tomorrow. Big bummer! Sure hope this rain is localized to Alexandria and not out there today as well!!!

View attachment 315301

Gerald

Nice lathe, too.

View attachment 315301

Gerald

Gerald,
Sweet, Nice lathe, too.
Is that a clone of the Contrail M motor? I saw the 4 large injector fittings on the aft bulkhead of the tank, interesting they where in angle from the centerline.
I have the Contrail Ms but I would like someting with about 8k-9k total Newtons.
If you're at LDRS, we can dicuss my design for a hybrid with throttlable thrust, too.

Friday started with a light rain. It was enough to knock the dust down but didn't muddy the field at all. Loaded up at the Sea container about 10:30 and set up the range. Ben got a ~32 lb. rocket up with a L900 EX motor to +4700 ft. Kurt got some drag separation from his Red Der Max on a G-76G. Nothing damaged but pride. I put Dog Whistler up on a I-371 4g 38mm EX motor to 2824 ft. The wind was picking up by then and it landed as far away as Ben's did. The winds continued to build as the day started to warm up. We bugged out early and hit Brewster's for dogs and shakes for a late launch.

We are expecting Saturday to be great! High 70s with much less wind!

There was a little dust kicking up as I drove down the road mid-afternoon. I guess there was less rain then we though.

Last edited:
For reasons I won't get into, I am now unable to come our tomorrow. Big bummer! Sure hope this rain is localized to Alexandria and not out there today as well!!!

That sucks, see you at LDRS!

Frenzy XL is prepped and ready to fly tomorrow. Loading up the truck now . . .

Gerald,
Sweet, Nice lathe, too.
Is that a clone of the Contrail M motor? I saw the 4 large injector fittings on the aft bulkhead of the tank, interesting they where in angle from the centerline.
I have the Contrail Ms but I would like someting with about 8k-9k total Newtons.
If you're at LDRS, we can dicuss my design for a hybrid with throttlable thrust, too.

It's much less of a clone than it appears to be at first glance. Other than using similar injectors and the same fill lines, it is all different. Details are in a thread in the research forum. 3 injectors though, yes, set as impinging. Other differences are more major.

Gerald

I had fun today at BattlePark. The weather was great while I was there and I had a few good flights and saw some good flights like the Frenzy XL and GrapeShot. The delay was too short on the I300 I used for my Razor 54, but, it survived without damage. I realized after the fact that the motor came with a medium delay instead the long delay I'm used to. I'll have to check closer next time. I'm hoping to get to LDRS for a day, so, I may see some of you there.

Spring in VA....

yesterday we froze to death, and today it was very warm.

any way I had two flights, my Leviathan on a H-163 ... The chute release worked but the parachute did not open. but, the Leviathan was undamaged.

My second flight was my EZI-65 on a J-381 skidmark. 2994 feet and a perfect recovery. Lots of TARC practice flights.

Some pictures from Saturday . . .

33661527025_f0b10b3309_o.jpg

32818356004_ea2e9ee5b2_o.jpg

33620564536_743ea8d75d_o.jpg

33620566336_a0529169c8_o.jpg

33620567006_70eafc1ba2_o.jpg

33504680192_ee91ca70c6_o.jpg

33620567496_9f0b63bb6c_o.jpg

33504680482_f2673a9058_o.jpg

33620567936_379c5805fc_o.jpg

33620565166_2f0dbe6c99_o.jpg

33620568916_d3d2eca54e_o.jpg

33504681482_a6670ee312_o.jpg

33620568686_1abf1e4e28_o.jpg

33620569416_5a1c5c1be0_o.jpg

33504681672_d780c35e5b_o.jpg

33620565596_ff4aca49d0_o.jpg

33504682392_659e7e8d05_o.jpg

33504679882_6e561c3eef_o.jpg

32818353654_67e52d3176_o.jpg

33661529035_71902368d5_o.jpg

33504680352_054f8ccba1_o.jpg

32818355014_972a8d0ec5_o.jpg

33504679582_0217c46e5d_o.jpg

33661531565_df3a399d6a_o.jpg

33661531365_9866b46e33_o.jpg

great pictures Nathan.

Thanks for the shot of the upscale Orbital Transport - you can even see the masking tape repair on the crimp in the forward section of the body tube from the first flight ... :smile:

That is awesome, Nathan thank you for sharing all the pictures as it is about as close as some of us got to being there. It was cold and windy but at least we got out there today to say hi to a couple of folks, And shoot a couple small Estes before ldrs

Back