BattlePark - November 19 & (CANCELLED - 20)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wind forecast for Sunday is 21 mph with gust over 30 mph. Sunday is cancelled!

It's less then two weeks away. Don't expect it to be as warm at this launch as it was in October! 82º is a little too much to hope for in November.

See ya all in 12 days

Last edited:
BTW, anyone from the TCVA25 club that is going to LDRS, let us know. We are trying to work out a block of parking spots together.

I plan on going...made hotel reservations for the entire event.
I haven't heard recently from the rest of the Vikings Rocket Society - but two or three were interested in going.

BTW, anyone from the TCVA25 club that is going to LDRS, let us know. We are trying to work out a block of parking spots together.

I hoping to go but April is a long way away to plan. Is anyone familiar with the campgrounds in that area? I'm considering Tuckahoe State Park. Any insights?

I'll be flying my Formula 150 again this month, probably with a CTI 6 grain 54mm K590 Dual Thrust.

Last month when I flew it I failed to attach one of the quicklinks. The nosecone came down on the 10 foot chute and almost drifted into the cow pasture. The rest of it came down with only the 2 foot drogue. The only damage from the hard landing was some scuffed paint which has been buffed out, and the av-bay sled which broke loose. I have replaced one of the altimeters which was damaged and rebuilt the sled, so it's all ready to fly again.

This time I will be triple-checking all the quicklinks!

Well, it's still a week out but right now the forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy, 63º, and 4 mph winds blowing toward the farm. IF the forecast stays the same, and that is a BIG if, it should be a very good day to launch at BattlePark.

Apparently neither Wildman or Performance Hobbies will be at Battlepark this month. Does that mean no motor vendors?

Ken, at Performance Hobbies, usually has a club member bring paid orders to the field.
Check with him.

Traded emails with Ken at Performance Hobby and it looks like there is a plan to get some motors delivered, as Dave mentioned above.

Hopefully the weather holds out for Sunday.

I talked to Ken Allen, Performance Hobbies, this morning. He will be at Battle Park on Saturday between 9:00 am and 9:30 am to drop off orders. If you need anything, please contact him ASAP. Depending on the weather, he may be at Battle Park on Sunday.

Ben

Ken, at Performance Hobbies, usually has a club member bring paid orders to the field.
Check with him.

Ken doesn't have any big CTI reloads. The only reload I have for my Formula 150 is a 75mm L820 and it looks like it will be too windy for that this weekend. So I'll just be flying some smaller stuff.

We are having to cancel Sunday do to the expected high winds and a wind chill in the 30s.

Saturday launch is a go.

Ben

see ya all saturday. I finally took the time to clean out my tool box and tote o' rocket stuff

Hey will see you all tomorrow and have a guy who is willing to go up the tree at 1pm after the rocket!!! Yeah!!

Hey will see you all tomorrow and have a guy who is willing to go up the tree at 1pm after the rocket!!! Yeah!!

Good Luck Ken.
Can't make this one.
Between guests for dinner tomorrow and work deadlines for a short holiday week next week, a no-go for me.

Burn some for me guys!

Good Luck Ken.
Can't make this one.
Between guests for dinner tomorrow and work deadlines for a short holiday week next week, a no-go for me.

Burn some for me guys!

Sorry you won't be there. I'll hold that jar promised to you for the next go around. I dusted off an 11 yr old, unused, Apogee Saturn 1B last night and prepped for flight. Hope that one flies well.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Kevin

Ok. Today was an awesome day. Sure enough the weatherman called the storm, but we got a LOT of launches in today and it was spectacular. I myself started the day off with my trustworthy Apogee (Madcow) Torrent level 1 rocket. I shoved a J354 into it and had an awesome flight. The landing is spectacular! This this flight is called the Torrent - MADCOW style! Watch through the landing!!!! (Edit error!!!! Not oct 2016. It was flown today Nov 19 2016!)
[video=youtube;9N4JxgDWEhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/9N4JxgDWEhE[/video]

Thanks to a really awesome tree climber I was also able to recover my Level 2 "RumbleBee" from it's 70ft resting place today. Recovered the video and have to check the other electronics when I get a chance tonight. Again nice flight on a K535 to 5977 foot. Haven't done any dashware on it, an edited out the rocket sitting on the pad. Man it was windy. The rocket was blowing from side to side before it finally took off. Lesson learned. I bigger motor would have cleared "That" grove of trees! :)

[video=youtube;OBv10mJmqUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/OBv10mJmqUY[/video]

Thanks to all at Battlepark for a GREAT Day of launching!!!!

It was a great day until mother nature flipped the switch and the weather changed. But, up until 2:30 it was beautiful so I am glad we had most of the day of great weather.

I think you should send a link for the Torrent video to Mike at Mascow. He'll
get a kick out of that.

Back