BattlePark - January 14th and 15th, 2017 - Rescheduled 28 & 29 January

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Due to weather, this launch has been Rescheduled to January 28th & 29th.

Happy New Year everyone!

The first launch at BattlePark in 2017. What are you all flying?

Last edited:
If I get them done, I have a 1.6" fiberglass DX3 which I hope to fly with an H135 and a 3.0" Frenzy XL which will fly with something J or K.

But with Christmas and an outlaw class pinewood derby car to build, they may not get done

If I get them done, I have a 1.6" fiberglass DX3 which I hope to fly with an H135 and a 3.0" Frenzy XL which will fly with something J or K.

But with Christmas and an outlaw class pinewood derby car to build, they may not get done
oh cool! We don't get to do the "outlaw" version of the PWDerby! But we're starting our build next week!! While not a rocket...post some pictures! :) (Oh yeah..post some of the rocket builds too!:)

Btw. Edit your profile!! You sir, are a Level 2 now! :)

I've made some updates to the tracker I'm building and I'm hoping to test it out in my Excel with a J500. There's a slight chance I may also have my new 3" Rayzor ready for flight but not yet painted. I'm curious to see the 3" Frenzy if tHoagland gets it done....I looked closely at that kit before deciding on the Rayzor.

Still 7 days out but the weather forecast is currently showing 50 degrees and rain for next weekend. Lets hope that doesn't stick.

It doesn't look like I'll have either of the rockets above ready to fly but I might still bring out some LPR.

Talked to Ken at Performance Hobbies. He will be attending the Battle Park launch this weekend. Best to place your orders as soon as you can.

Be sure and check our web site https://battlepark.org as this where we will be posting any cancellations for the weekend.

Ben

Fingers crossed that the forecast improves - I've got an extended Horizon on a J340M and an Intimidator 3 on a J415W in addition to our normal stuff.

I don't have my new Rayzor done yet, but, I've got a J500 for my Excel so I'm also hoping the forecast improves. So far Saturday doesn't look good, but, Sunday might work out ok

We are rescheduling the launch to Jan 28 and 29 due to this weekend's weather.

Ben

So far weather looks good for this weekend. Hopefully the mud dries up by then. I plan to fly my Frenzy XL on Saturday on either a CTI J760 White Thunder or K515 Skidmark, depending on the wind.

Not sure I can get away this weekend. If I can, bonus for me. Otherwise I hope you all have a GREAT weekend with perfect weather!!

I'm also hoping the weather cooperates and the mud dries up. If so, I should be there Saturday and I think my 6 year old daughter will be coming along to help. I've got a J500 to try out in my Excel and I've got a new Chute Release to play around with in my mid-power rocket.

The weather looks great this week. 61 deg and breezy on Wed. The breeze is what really helps dry things out and the high temps help.
Sunny to mostly Sunny for the whole week with only a stray shower (30 minutes) on Wed. night.
Should be <10 mph winds and mostly sunny and mid 40s for Sat. and Sun.

It's looking great!

I also got a new chute release to use since no one was able to find my other one. Still find it hard to believe it wasn't found. It came loose about 300 ft directly over the pads. Oh well.....

Should be a great launch.

It's on my calendar...not sure which day or what I'll fly yet.
Got some dual deployment rockets s for windy conditions, and if winds are low...RC Phoenix.
Revamping the altimeter bay for my Cosmodrome Aerobee Hi.

I may bring the Saturn 1B project/build to date - just to discuss some ideas for the avionics and get a better read on the component weights at this juncture...(I don't have a digital scale - my guess is I'm under 20 lbs. so far w/o motors or recovery device).

I placed an order with Kevin, and I can make on Saturday only.

See y'all then

Cool, see ya there. Flying something big?

I will fly my EZ-I with a J330 and the Leviathan on a H163. Maybe some mid power, I am going to try to go over to Hobby Hangar in chantilly and see if they have any G motors, I have not been there in a while but hopefully they still ahve aerotech 29/40-120 loads.

I will fly my EZ-I with a J330 and the Leviathan on a H163. Maybe some mid power, I am going to try to go over to Hobby Hangar in chantilly and see if they have any G motors, I have not been there in a while but hopefully they still ahve aerotech 29/40-120 loads.

Call them. They've gone out and looked at their stock in the past for me saving me a trip or letting me know they had what I needed. Granted, a trip to Hobby Hanger is always great regardless of whether I come out of there with anything or not!

Call them. They've gone out and looked at their stock in the past for me saving me a trip or letting me know they had what I needed. Granted, a trip to Hobby Hanger is always great regardless of whether I come out of there with anything or not!

Hobby Hangar still has a nice assortment of rocket motors. Also a really nice stash of Hasegawa aircraft kits, and of course every radio control thing you could ever want, as they have for the past 25+ years...

Oh and I got a G76 there, I will fly one of my mid power rockets I have not flown in a while, maybe my scratchbuilt 2.6" red max

Looked like a real nice day today where I was ...unfortunately I had several years of back taxes to sort through for my mother and run off to the post office (seems she had incomplete records when the Alzheimer's set in).
I hope to make it out tomorrow.

....................what did I miss?

It was pretty good flying, not a huge amount of launches, but nice flights. There were periods of wind, and it was enough to give you a chill if you were not behind a car to block the wind. I can not make it tomorrow but I hope you have nice weather and many safe, successful flights.

Here are some pictures from Saturday. Congratulations to Doug Megenity on his successful level 1 certification flight.

31769103713_91061003d1_b.jpg

31737235034_d6301bc095_b.jpg

31737235554_bc1f7a74bb_b.jpg

31769103653_71f03ce310_b.jpg

31769103553_e5e5c4b2dd_b.jpg

31737234974_744ccd5162_b.jpg

31737235284_ca6a282b88_b.jpg

31769103443_57382f030e_b.jpg

31737234804_4cbe88988a_b.jpg

31737235194_7be3e9cfbd_b.jpg

31769103363_c0511811e7_b.jpg

31769103123_a88ea4819d_b.jpg

31737235084_18ccda0d89_b.jpg

31737234734_714471b2ed_b.jpg

The drift was straight down the field.
I put Dog Whistler straight up to 4544 ft and like I did the last time I replaced an upper payload tube, didn't get the friction fit right and the main opened at apogee. It landed 3510 ft away as per google maps. Easy recovery so no harm, no foul. The upper level winds didn't seem as strong as the lower level. It seemed to be a shear at about 1000 to 1500 ft.

Tomorrow should be lighter winds all around.

Back