GO Battlepark December Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tHoagland

Rocket Builder
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The December Battlepark launch in Culpeper, VA is scheduled for this weekend (Dec 10 & 11). The weather looks like it's going to cooperate but we may see a variable cloud ceiling both days so be be prepared.

Details are available at battlepark.org.

Saturday was good, although the cloud deck only got up to about 4,000 ft, the wind dropped way off late in the afternoon.
Sunday turned out even better, it was warmer, the wind was in a very good direction and dropped to almost nothing late in the afternoon, and the clouds disappeared early with only a few wisps up at about 5,000 ft.

I may make my way down to the Battlepark for the January launch, would be my first time attending. I've flown high power with NOVAAR and MDRA. Any tips about the launch site or specific things I should know before flying with Tripoli Central VA? Site-specific recovery concerns?

I will likely have my two young sons with me. I know they can't access the HP pads at a Tripoli launch, but can they launch mid-power from those closer pads if I'm accompanying them?

I've found how to pay and I won't be flying anywhere near 8K nor anything bigger than a J motor.

Thanks!

I may make my way down to the Battlepark for the January launch, would be my first time attending. I've flown high power with NOVAAR and MDRA. Any tips about the launch site or specific things I should know before flying with Tripoli Central VA? Site-specific recovery concerns?

I will likely have my two young sons with me. I know they can't access the HP pads at a Tripoli launch, but can they launch mid-power from those closer pads if I'm accompanying them?

I've found how to pay and I won't be flying anywhere near 8K nor anything bigger than a J motor.

Thanks!
Bring a pair of shoes to wear around the field that you don't mind getting stained with the red soil. And bring a plastic bag to put them in while changing into a fresh pair of shoes safe to wear in your car. Otherwise, great field and great people. Have fun!

Bring a pair of shoes to wear around the field that you don't mind getting stained with the red soil. And bring a plastic bag to put them in while changing into a fresh pair of shoes safe to wear in your car. Otherwise, great field and great people. Have fun!
Good tip, thanks!

Unless your flight leaves the field, there's nothing special about recovery. We have a few trees and some power lines that occasionally claim a rocket and some low areas that tend to get muddy but most recoveries are pretty easy.

Children are restricted near the HP pads but the closer LPR/MPR pads are open to all.

As with any location you have to fly the field. Flights to 8,000 ft aren't uncommon at Battlepark but it takes "the right day" to be able to safely fly to 10,000. Come prepared to adjust your plans based on winds and clouds and you'll have a good time.

Back