BattleAxe maiden flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cydermaster

Reaction score
Went out, today, to give my Rockethead's BattleAxe its first flights. I was hopping to fly it with my 4 1/2 yr old nephew, this morning, but there was a Rugby match in progress on the field by my sister's house; so I had to make do with launching my 13mm Art Applewhite Cone Rocket out the front of the house. It managed to go over a fence, into an electricity substation, but I managed to retrieve it. My nephew (Eli) made me laugh by trying to contact 'International Rescue', on his toy mobile phone, and tried to get Gordon & Virgil Tracy to come and help me get the rocket back! :D Kids eh! ;)

Anyway ... back to the BattleAxe. When I got back from my Sis's, I headed off to my local launch field. Primed the BattleAxe with a B6-4, shoved some Dog Barf in, and let her go. Lovely flight, ejected at apogee, and drifted into the next field :rolleyes:! Got her back, after braveing the barbed-wire fence.

Here she is, on the pad, waiting to go, on a B6-4.

cydermaster

Reaction score
After flying my Fliskits Corona (ended up in next field too), and my 13mm Cone Rocket (again); I decided to end the session off with another flight of my BattleAxe, this time on an A8-3, to keep it within the field, this time ;)

Actually managed to get a launch shot, this time - not a very good one, but a launch shot all the same.

cydermaster

Reaction score
Unfortunatly, an A8-3 isn't really powerful enough, and she was well on her way down, when the ejection went off! :eek:

Now my nose cone grins at me.

Top rocket, though. Quality componants, and cool design.

womblegs

Reaction score
Great to see some pics. I've just ordered mine, can't wait to get started on it!

astronboy

Reaction score
I bashed a nosecone on my scratchbuilt Hermes last time I launched as well. Could this be 'ESTES dent' due to the too short shock chord snapping the nc back into the body?

cydermaster

Reaction score
Originally posted by astronboy
Could this be 'ESTES dent' due to the too short shock chord snapping the nc back into the body?
The shock cord is approx. 1 1/2 times the length of the rocket, so I don't think the length was to blame. I reckon it was just bad luck.

carldoc

Reaction score
Cydermaster, that is a great looking rocket...and that field you fly on looks great too.

Fore Check

Reaction score
I've had terrible luck bashing balsa cones like that. I don't get it.....

On the maiden flight of my Deuce's Goblin, I got the same kind of dent. And I had 40"+ of 1/4 elastic for the shock cord on it (11.125" body tube)

:mad: