Battle Park VA March 21st & 22nd

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tripoli Central Virginia is hosting a Battle Park launch tomorrrow and Sunday at Culpeper VA. Commercial Sat. Research Sun.

It's going to be SWEET!!!!

Forecast is for sunny, temp 56º on Sat. 67º on Sun, cloud base +12,000ft, chance of rain 0 - 4%. The wind forecast calls for the strongest winds on Sunday at 4 mph.

Throw your stuff in the car and come on out!

Skycopp, you missed a great launch.
It was one of those days that comes along once in a while where shooting for the waiver doesn't mean losing a rocket, there was NO wind. I had a 3,000 ft flight land 90 ft from the pad. The second 3,000+ flight landed 150 ft from the pad.
There were at least 6 rockets that landed between the cars (no cars hit).
Ben Russel even flew a commercial motor!
Had a lot of TARC flights and one even qualified with a score of 3.94.
There was beautiful sun dog for several hours.
The sun warmed up Ivan's Nox tank by early afternoon and he made a couple of excellent hybrid flights.
My Estes Stormcaster flew again, this time on a F39-9T. Had to be at least 2,000 ft. Couldn't see it until the 18" chute came out, and then barely. Should have used a 12" chute. It just hung up there forever on the 18". That was my longest walk of the day, about 200 yards.

There's still research day tomorrow. Should be the same as today, but warmer.

Don't miss the April launch. It's going to be huge! Hope the weather is have as good.

Now I'm ticked for missing it.... but I had too many things going on. I had guests in town.

Unfortunately, the next launch is a washout for me as well. My wife is dancing in the US Amateur Ballroom championship that weekend. I got in trouble for missing the last one and our couch isn't comfortable to sleep on.

Ben Russell went commercial?!!??!

I don't buy that. Come on... wasn't born yesterday.

Now I'm ticked for missing it.... but I had too many things going on. I had guests in town.

Unfortunately, the next launch is a washout for me as well. My wife is dancing in the US Amateur Ballroom championship that weekend. I got in trouble for missing the last one and our couch isn't comfortable to sleep on.

lol. Maybe I can get her to teach me so I can impress at the prom :p

I 2nd that, either Ben slipped one under the radar or your pulling our legs :)

Ben

I hope to get down to one of these launches this year. I see April is 3 days for the launch. Is Sunday still research for the 3 day launch?

Attached is a picture of Ben Russell's Nike using one of my KSR-6 chutes. I am not sure if this is from Sat or Sun

NS KSR6.jpg

I hope to get down to one of these launches this year. I see April is 3 days for the launch. Is Sunday still research for the 3 day launch?

Attached is a picture of Ben Russell's Nike using one of my KSR-6 chutes. I am not sure if this is from Sat or Sun

Like Will said, Friday the 3rd is the research. The Battle of the Rockets contest is Sat. (Rain/wind day is Sun.) There will be nine teams from as far as Arkansas coming in for the Battle. They expect a lot of TARC teams also. One TARC team had a 3.94 score on Sat.

That does look like Ben's rocket on Saturday. I didn't make it on Sun so I don't know if he flew it then.

Skycopp, YES! Ben flew commercial on Sat. He was going to use a I161W Aerotech load, but he uses the threaded hole in the forward plugged closures for motor retention so he opted for a Loki load. There was a reason for the madness. Ben is flying the Nike as a sounding rocket before the big Saturn V launch next month at MDRA. He wanted to test the Nike before then.

Guess I will have to wait to the next launch since Friday is not do able for me.

Skycopp, YES! Ben flew commercial on Sat. He was going to use a I161W Aerotech load, but he uses the threaded hole in the forward plugged closures for motor retention so he opted for a Loki load. There was a reason for the madness. Ben is flying the Nike as a sounding rocket before the big Saturn V launch next month at MDRA. He wanted to test the Nike before then.

Are they allowing expedition flights before the Saturn?

Ben

Back