Battle Park 1/24/09

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cold and breezy day that turned out to be a lot of fun despite the weather, equipment issues and 10-15 mph winds.

Some of us had a pretty good day, and some of us had one of those days where nothing went right.

My day went pretty well but I'll let the rest explain their troubles if they so desire.

We got set up and ready to go about 11 and were breaking things down by 3. In the mean time, I got 5 launches in along with a lot of great conversations, technical exchange meetings and other type socializing that usually goes on at a typical launch.

My Callisto went first on a G64-7W. It usually gets a G64-10W and a 28" chute. The shorter delay and 24" chute with spill hole that came with the kit was used due to wind. The delay was extremely short. Maybe 2 seconds after burnout. No damage to the rocket or chute, but it was still moving pretty good at deployment. Nothing in the reload indicated why ejection was early. O rings and delay element were normal.

Next was my repaired Fatboy 3x18mm on 3 X C6-5. Wind-cocked pretty good and only got about 600 ft. Tore two shroud lines off the 12" Estes chute and it came down fast. No damage.

My Umbrella rocket by Sunward flew on a D12-3. Too much delay. It got about 25 ft. fell to the ground sitting upright and the nose cone and chute shot 5 ft in the air when the ejection went off. No Damage and a different flight.

Double Helix on 2 X C6-0. Good flight, tilted with the wind as it climbed. 100 ft up and 200 ft away from the pad. No Damage

Sunny Side Up was the last one. This was my G-Altitude contest rocket that won me a $100 last fall. One stipulation of the contest was that some place on the rocket had to be at least 54mm dia. This flew on a F24-7W this time and got to 1,409 ft which I didn't think was too bad for 54mm dia rocket with an altimeter.

A fun time was had by all, I think. Maybe some of the others will chime in with their experience.

It was fun. I got a late start but was able to get in a couple of saucer flights. I like the AT H-148R in the Art Applewhite "cluster flying saucer." The saucer also got a workout with with triplet of Estes D-11P motors.

Back