Battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin523

Reaction score
I don't want to drive into the field. I want the lightest least expensive way to launch. These launches will be mostly black powder and mid power composites. Anxious to learn what you guys use.

You could get two 6v lantern batteries and wire them in series. Make sure the jumper wire, going between the "+" of 1 battery to the "-" of the other, is a pretty thick gauge. Attach the battery leads from the launch controller to the "unoccupied" posts of the batteries. There you have a cheap 12v system. Not very elegant ("Soviet" style) but cheap and it works.

Greg

Got any rechargeable power tools? Screwdrivers, drills, etc?

Any 9 to 24 volt battery out of them works. Plus you can re-charge it. Simple modify your controller to use it.

Otherwise a 12v gell cell can be had at any big box store HD,Lowes, etc for 15-20 bucks. Like your Motorcycle or lawn mower. Small and portable.

I don't want to drive into the field. I want the lightest least expensive way to launch. These launches will be mostly black powder and mid power composites. Anxious to learn what you guys use.

For Personal launchers I've found the very best bang for the buck is a Hobbico 7amp/hr gel cell and a converted Radio shack 120/12v 500ma to 1amp wall pack converted into a 12-16hour charger.
I've been using one of these systems since the mid 80s originally about 20 bucks as I remember. About 3 years ago I purchased a replacement for about 18 bucks. Can't bet that for getting our moneys worth.

PS: these 12v gel-cells work beautifully with all Quest 9v controllers with a simple drop cable they also sell for 2 bucks.

Gel-Cell Charger-b_HarborFrt 12-15V Charger_04-12-02.jpg

Quest Pistol Grip controller-d-sm_3pic page_10-04-08.JPG

Remind me right before you come up for ThunderStruck and I can give you a few gel Cells. I work at a hospital and they do PM's on equipment that use them and toss them out. It's rare that I find a bad one in the battery barrel. Heck I even same them money by not having to pay to have them taken away...at least the ones I grab. (the good ones)

For anybody else not fortunate enough to have a friend or colleague working in a hospital, these car jumper packs work pretty well-- VERY portable, PLENTY of power, pretty affordable, and are a good backup to have in your car in case you leave the lights on or the automatic controllers that are supposed to turn the lights off after you leave decides to leave them on and kill your car battery instead...

Later! OL JR :)

polapulsesetup.jpg

When I was a kid I lived in a tourist area and was able to pull Polapulse batteries out of the trash.

https://www.photobattery.com/P100.pdf

High Discharge Current: 15 amps
instantaneous, 8.5 amps after 30
sec., 4.5 amps after 60 sec.
(through 0.1 ohm)
Weight: 0.95 oz. (27 grams) for one 6V battery

When I was a kid I lived in a tourist area and was able to pull Polapulse batteries out of the trash.

https://www.photobattery.com/P100.pdf

High Discharge Current: 15 amps
instantaneous, 8.5 amps after 30
sec., 4.5 amps after 60 sec.
(through 0.1 ohm)
Weight: 0.95 oz. (27 grams) for one 6V battery
Thanks for the link!!! Wow! Five amps continuous discharge! I've been searching for a battery like this for 2-stage projects for a long time. Back to the thread... I haul a car battery out to the field in a plastic tub. Ted

Thanks for the link!!! Wow! Five amps continuous discharge! I've been searching for a battery like this for 2-stage projects for a long time. Back to the thread... I haul a car battery out to the field in a plastic tub. Ted

I'm going to guess that any you find may not be worth having. These are the batteries that powered Poloriod SX-70 cameras.

I remember playing with those when I was a kid also. It had PLENTY of power left after running though a full "roll" of film....but that was over 30 years ago. (man I'm old!)

I see your point but these guys are selling them? I wonder when they were made. I'll have to e-mail and ask about it. Ted

ok, I didn't go to their site. As I recall, they stopped making instant film a few years ago. I thought they stopped making the SX-70 film before that time. I would want to know the date code on them before buying any.

I just stick with good old 9v Duracells.

I just bought, but have not yet tried out, one of these: Pratt Hobbies Full Boost. 12V from eight AA alkaline cells.

I may get to try mine Saturday. I can say that the continuity beeper is Q2G2 safe as it draws less than 12 mA.

You could get two 6v lantern batteries and wire them in series. Make sure the jumper wire, going between the "+" of 1 battery to the "-" of the other, is a pretty thick gauge. Attach the battery leads from the launch controller to the "unoccupied" posts of the batteries. There you have a cheap 12v system. Not very elegant ("Soviet" style) but cheap and it works.

Greg
Greg

Lantern batteries are not cheap and don't source a lot of current. Two will typically cost you over $12, and they are not rechargable. https://www.batteryspace.com/alkalinebattery1pcsupg60valkalinelanternbatterynonrechargeable.aspx

A rechargable 12 V Lead Acid gel cell is a better option. A rechargeable 12V, 1.3 AH lead acid gel cell battery costs $8, weights 1.3 pounds, and is rated to deliver 18 Amps for 5 seconds which will fire any igniter I know of. https://www.batteryspace.com/sealedleadacidbattery12v12ahs.aspx It will last all day long for personal launches. A 5-7 AH version will last all day for a club launch involving 100's of rockets.

If you don't want to spend $13 to $16 for a smart gel cell charger, you can always charge it from you car's cigarette lighter.

https://www.batteryspace.com/leadacidsmartcharger08afor12vleadacidbatterywith3stagesfloating.aspx

https://www.batteryspace.com/leadacidsmartcharger10afor12vleadacidbatteryworldwideuse.aspx

Bob

The batteryspace.com site says "Total solution for Portable Power since 1995 Products are designed , assembled & Quality Controlled in USA".

The first product I pulled up had a close up view of the charger and it said "Made in China". So much for integrity.

Thanks for all the input. I decided to go with the lead cell battery and charger. I like the cost and the idea that I can go out each time with a "full charge."

The batteryspace.com site says "Total solution for Portable Power since 1995 Products are designed , assembled & Quality Controlled in USA".

The first product I pulled up had a close up view of the charger and it said "Made in China". So much for integrity.

Isn't it possible for parts to be made in China, then assembled and quality controlled in the USA?

What is up with you people and Chinese products? The Chinese making bad stuff is just a skidmark. Look at sky for example they make stuff that outlasts the estes and quest made stuff..... Sematics people it's just a
matter of sematics

I'm with L_S; I have been using a car jumper battery for years. I has been super reliable and has never weighed me down.

MarkII

Back