Battery Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carldoc

Reaction score
I know that the ordinary Estes type launcher doesn't have enough juice to light up 2 igniters at the same time consistantly. (I tried) So, How much voltage will I need to get a 2 motor cluster in the air? I never used cluster power before and am looking for direction.....what better place than here? Thanks.

You would be best off making your own controller . You need a good 12v source to ignite multiple ignitors.
-Karl

Or simply changing the continuity lamp from 6v (4 battery) to 12v and adding some battery clips in line about 4 feet ahead of the contoller. Add a jumper wire across the battery compartment and install both battery / alligator clips by criping or soldered to one of the wire leads carefully cut about 4 feet from the controller. This method will allow the igniter to complete the simple circuit. Use any 12v battery or battery combination you'd like, 2 6v lantern batteries or a 12Volt gel-cell is my recommendation, your good to go for those 2 motor cluster;)

carldoc,

I just bought a Werker 12V, 7.5 A/hr sealed lead acid (SLA) battery. This lights 3 igniters right now with no problem. I haven't tried more than that yet! :)

Cost was $25 at the local BatterisPlus, plus about $12 for the charger. A great investment.

I use an Aerotech launch controller, but there are other controllers available, or you can make your own. You can check out this thread for some great info on your question, including a diagram of a simple home-made launch controller.

Hope this helps.

if u have a spare estes controller that holds one of those rectangle batteries just rip it open and use the two wires on a 12v... works perfect for me...

I have been usind a Unitec Power Station Plus, it delivers 400 amps and was successfully used to launch an 18 rocket drag race (3 X 6 clip whips). It is normally used to start cars. It includes a flashlight and air compressor. Weighs about 17 pounds, totally self contained, very portable and cost me a little over $27.00. I use it with an Aerotech Interlock but it would work with any launch controller with external battery connections.

Originally posted by carldoc
I know that the ordinary Estes type launcher doesn't have enough juice to light up 2 igniters at the same time consistantly. (I tried) So, How much voltage will I need to get a 2 motor cluster in the air? I never used cluster power before and am looking for direction.....what better place than here? Thanks.

I hacked mine to have a pair of power clips outside. These get connected to two 6V lantern batteries I have wired together in a box. Works fine.

Back