Battery Mounting Help Needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperSpeed

Reaction score
So I am building a few wireless video systems for a shooting range, and I need to figure something out to hang a battery on a camera tripod leg. I just want to do this so the setup looks cleaner, without the battery sitting on the ground nearby.

OK, the battery to hang on the tripod leg is about 6lbs, 6 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 4 inches tall. The tripod legs are about 1.25" diameter and round.

Is there some sort of bracket made to clamp onto pipe with a flat mounting base out there I could use?

Or, is there some type of rubber cord that tightens like a zip tie where I could use a few to secure it on?

Thanks

Are these permanent tripods, temporary but fixed, or portable? Do you have to be able to put them up and take them down quickly and often? Can the battery just sit on something or does it have to be secured?

Are these permanent tripods, temporary but fixed, or portable? Do you have to be able to put them up and take them down quickly and often? Can the battery just sit on something or does it have to be secured?

Handeman,

These are portable tripods. (Example: https://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=2045)

You unload the system from your vehicle and set the tripod up near the target. Actually I need a way to mount the battery and the transmitter to the legs. But the mounting will probably work the same for both.

I just want these attached to the tripod so you can grab one thing and carry it without wires yanking out, and so that you do not have to sit individual items on mud or wet ground. So to answer your last question, they would be secured well with the ability to disassemble.

So far I have come up with a few ideas to possibly make this work.

First, I stumbled across what are called grip tie mounts. These have a flat plate, and either heavy zip ties or velcro strap running through the plate in a loop. These are made to mount to a flat surface, and the tie is to hold a bundle of wire.

These seemed along the lines of what I could use to rig something up, but then I got to thinking. With a 6lb battery hanging from a few zip ties or velcro straps, it is still going to spin around the leg of the tripod without some heavy tension. Onto the next idea.

What I have concluded that I need to use is a plastic clamp, made from delrin or the like, with a flat base on the back to attach the battery to with epoxy. Like a ring for a rifle scope, with a square flat bottom maybe 1x1" minimum. I can then tighten the clamp to the aluminum leg, and it will not pivot or slide around.

Anyone have ideas how to find something such as this?

Thanks

Hyperspeed,
This is from a company that makes Medical equipment stands,
Pryor products.

greybasket_big.jpg

Sort of a random thought: You might want to experiment first to see how this works. I suspect that hanging a significant weight from only one leg of a tripod will mess with its balance, etc. You might instead want to find a way to suspend the weight from all three legs so that that it hangs in the center.

Have you thought about just tying simple knots? A rolling hitch should do the trick. It ties and unties quickly and a weight would hang from it just fine without ever pulling loose.

Personally I'd just use some gaffer tape (comes off clean), but I suppose it depends how neat and tidy you want things to be.
Some tripods also have a hook on the bottom of the central column to hang weights on, if your tripod has one of those maybe a bag with the bits in would work?

Phil

Back