Battery alternatives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
I would like an alternative to a 9v battery. I was thinking a high end r/c race car battery such as a NiCad or other. Also they will be rechargable which will be nice. Do others concur? If so would you be so kind as to reccomend a good battery pack?

Need 2: one for arts2 and one for ozark
gps.

R/C battery packs are just a bunch of regular NiCad batteries duct taped together, and sold for 10x the price. Why not just buy a bunch of NiCads, and tape them together yourself? That way you can get what ever voltage you want (in multiples of 1.2v) and nearly any amp-hourage you want. If you are going for super small, you could use AAAA batteries, but finding rechargeable ones is neigh impossible. I would suggest just using several AAA or AA batteries. It entirely depends on your usage of them though.

Hobbico has a 7amp/hr 12v battery that is perfect for personal launches, even small clusters.
a simple 9v battery clip drop can be added to both available Quest 9v controllers or you can buy one premade from quest. I've been using this method with Quest contollers for almost 10years without a single problem from any of the many controller converted for 12volts. If your contoller is set-up for 9volt it'll run just fine on 12volt.

Quest Pgrip-4-sm_3pic pg_10-04-08.JPG

MM ControllerConversion-3_12v drop Cord_07-21-02.jpg

You might look at Harbour Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/ for jump start/aux power supplys. I believe it's a gel battery and with the recharger lasts for years. This would be for a launcher, of course.

Last edited:
I would like an alternative to a 9v battery

Need 2: one for arts2 and one for ozark
gps.

I think most have missed what you are trying to do. Let's see if I got it.

You are trying to run 1 altimeter on a battery pack, And another altimeter and Gps on another Battery pack . Both rechargeable .

First you need to know how much they draw in mAh.....the gps is probably a real hog and would need 3 or 4 regular 9v just to work for 10-15 min.

So if the unit draws 300mAh you would want at least a pack that was 750 - 900 so theoretically it would last 2-3 hrs of constant draw.

So first you must know the operating voltage [range like 9-15 volts] to figure what size power supply will work.

Then how much the components draw in mAh to determine the total storage needed.

Example altimeter draws 100mAh + GPS draws 300mAh = total 400mAh you would need a battery pack with a rating of 400 for I hr of use. Generally you want double or triple in the smallest and lightest package you can find.

MY altimeter will run on 9-15 volts and I want at least a 11.1 volt 1800mAh rating. 3 tiny 3.7 LiPo's will get there. 3x3.7 =11.1 So I can keep it running a decent amount of time.

The needed info should be in the spec sheets on your electronics.

I think the simplest solution would be to call the manufacturer and ask what the recommended power supply would be.

At least post the power requirements of your equipment, and I'm sure you'll get the needed info.

Last edited:
This is an email from Ozark Aerospace dealing with this

Quote:
> Mike,
>
> The radio module sucks a LOT of power when trnsmitting. I typically fly it
> wth a rechargable (rechargeable is GOOD!!) 9.6v RC car battery back. The
> one I use is from Radio Shack. See:
> https://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103206
>
> They also carry a NiMH version of the same battery pack. These will run
> the telem system for a few hours.
>
> Glad to help!
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

R/C battery packs are just a bunch of regular NiCad batteries duct taped together, and sold for 10x the price. Why not just buy a bunch of NiCads, and tape them together yourself? That way you can get what ever voltage you want (in multiples of 1.2v) and nearly any amp-hourage you want. If you are going for super small, you could use AAAA batteries, but finding rechargeable ones is neigh impossible. I would suggest just using several AAA or AA batteries. It entirely depends on your usage of them though.
You do know that inside 9 volt alkaline and 7.2 volt rechargable "transistor" batteries there are (6) AAAA batteries in series?

Bob

You do know that inside 9 volt alkaline and 7.2 volt rechargable "transistor" batteries there are (6) AAAA batteries in series?

Bob
Note that these are not packaged for individual use. On alkaline cells from a 9 volt battery, the flat end is positive and the button end is negative. This is opposite the cells designed for individual use which is a relic of the carbon-zinc cell.

Hey gang...

A little while back someone in a forum was discussing another company that made batteries that had Anton-Bauer goldmounts... but they were a bit lighter (and cheaper) than the usual A-B bricks.

I looked at the company's website, thought they looked good, and thought I bookmarked it.

Apparently I didn't.

Now, for the life of me I can't remember who/where they were, and I've searched through the forums and can't seem to find it.

Anyone recall this?

Back