Basswood for cenetering rings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,
I have seen fiber and lite ply used for centering rings. What about using basswood for centering rings?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

some basswood has a very definate grain and can bend or snap quite easy..I have used it sucessfully by laminating it crossgrain like plywood

I have several rockets built with custom cluster rings made of 3/16" basswood, and they've turned out very nice! Light and strong, in my opinion - but I'd be wary of going thinner than 3/16".

Here's a pic of the motor mount in my 2 x 24mm BT70 Goblin. The rings are laser cut 3/16" basswood from BMS.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=39738

i use basswood like i use the toilet.

Ive never had a problem with using it in MMs Might wanna soak it in CA mabey? and laminating like stymye said is also a good idea with a nice layer of carpenters wood glue in the middle....good luck even trying to break that!

-matt

Originally posted by bswan72
Hello,
I have seen fiber and lite ply used for centering rings. What about using basswood for centering rings?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I've carved quite a few centering rings by hand, including basswood. If they don't break, they're pretty good. I back them both sides with cardboard and CyA or epoxy to spread out any stress that might break them in flight. They end up about the same strength/weight as thinner plywood, and are a whole lot easier to carve by hand than plywood, including sanding to fit.

yes , plywood is a heavier material but much stronger

Back