Basswood "dollhouse" half rounds for fin leading edges

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertH3

No need to buy stands after a launch day!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
See link to Manchester dollhouse and model supply:

https://www.manchesterwoodworks.com/categories/half--quarter-rounds--beads
There are more sizes than listed on the website so if you are interested, contact them. They also have laminates and lots of other parts. If you are into building square rockets, you could make a flying brick or stone building with no paint : )

You get a perfect leading edge this way w/o sanding. Owners have been great to me - post office lost a shipment and they replaced it (thank you!)

Cheers / Robert

?
With laminated fins (1/8" balsa + 1/32" ply) rounding over the edge or airfoiling becomes a basic issue in different materials. Sandpaper doesn't want to cut the ply and wants to vaporize the balsa. The basswood leading edge has the advantage of being symmetrical and sealing the edge. It's easy : ) and cheap. If I use the lamination on an HPR that needs round edges and to be light, may try it there with
epoxy.

Cheers / Robert

LIKE ! :) Leading and trailing edge treatment also adds span-wise strength. Used this technique on my Fatboy.

I'm actually going to get this for conduit on some scale (sport) builds. Thanks for posting this. I've been looking all over with little to no luck👍.

Ooo, they also have cove moldings, a.k.a fillet strips. Sure, you'd have some sanding to do, but the results could be great.

Ooo, they also have cove moldings, a.k.a fillet strips. Sure, you'd have some sanding to do, but the results could be great.
1614759C-9CB9-45FB-AAE3-E6CD1653C224.jpeg
These come in three sizes from Handley House (our dollhouse parts vendor). This one is 3/32 I think. There's a 1/8" one.

I would guess just glue it and lightly sand?

Back