Basement storage/work area??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgtobidiah

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking of setting up a work area and storage area for my rocketry supplies. The problem is i do get some dampness down there during the winter months. Do you guys think i should scrap the idea and store everything someplace that would be drier? I don't have a lot of space so this would be an ideal spot for it if i could make it work.

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Welcome to the Forum!

Am not sure where you're at in the world, but are you sure it's dampness during the winter months and not simply being cold & dry? Are you physically seeing water down there?

Thanks,

I was a member before the forum was reconstructed. I'm in new jersey near the coast. I only get water or dampness there when we get a heavy rain. The problem is the basement isn't a finished basement and it is quite old (my house is 80+ years old). I might try to give the entire thing a coating of some sort of sealer to help cut down on the moisture. It's not that it is entirely dry during the summer months either but it is a bit drier.

Chris

Thanks,

I was a member before the forum was reconstructed. I'm in new jersey near the coast. I only get water or dampness there when we get a heavy rain. The problem is the basement isn't a finished basement and it is quite old (my house is 80+ years old). I might try to give the entire thing a coating of some sort of sealer to help cut down on the moisture. It's not that it is entirely dry during the summer months either but it is a bit drier.

Chris

A heater during the winter should solve the winter dampness. Even better is you have forced arir heating get some heating vents in the basement will help a whole bunch.

In the summer a dehumidifier was the answer for me.

I have an unfinished basement (I am in upstate NY) that gets wet in the spring as well. It also gets wet during heavy rains.

I run a dehumidifier, and store my model roket motors, models and supplies down there. I have never had any issues, despite dampness, and even water at times.

Phred

It's always humid in the summers her in Virginia. I get water seeping in after a day to two of heavy rains. A Dehumidifier is plugged in year round. I don't leave anything sit on the floor, but I've never had problems with water damage, except when the sump pump failed and we got several inches of water in part of the basement. No rockets damaged though.

Thanks for the tips!

It looks like i will be getting a dehumidifier. If it cuts back the humidity enough that would be great. My main concern is storing paper and cardboard based rockets and motors where they could potentially become warped or moldy.

Chris

Thanks for the tips!

It looks like i will be getting a dehumidifier. If it cuts back the humidity enough that would be great. My main concern is storing paper and cardboard based rockets and motors where they could potentially become warped or moldy.

Chris

For extra insurance just keep everything in plastic tubs. I do and I think most people do.

K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Dollar stores...everyplace has plastic tubs.;)

Stemming from Wisconsin as a young guy, we always had a dehumidifier in the basement. I dunno about plastic tubs. I'm sure they'd help but doubt they are air tight, atleast not any of the larger ones I've had. If you've got a little scratch to spend at the surplus store, Ammo Cans will work great for your motors.

The plastic tubs idea sounds pretty good. Ive got to get out and get some this weekend. I have already started work on cleaning the place out and it is actually a lot less damp than i had thought. I am definitely getting a dehumidifier as well though, just to keep the moisture down. I'll have to check out the ammo cans at one of the local stores and see if it would work.

thanks,
Chris

The plastic tubs idea sounds pretty good. Ive got to get out and get some this weekend. I have already started work on cleaning the place out and it is actually a lot less damp than i had thought. I am definitely getting a dehumidifier as well though, just to keep the moisture down. I'll have to check out the ammo cans at one of the local stores and see if it would work.

thanks,
Chris

The tubs are not air tight but the advantage is, if there is a flood, then the tubs just float, not rust like metal or soak through like cardboard.

Plus if you get the clear or translucent ones you can find stuff without opening every box.

Thanks for the tips!

Chris

Try getting a cylindrical garbage can (plastic kind that seals tight) and put some dessicant packages in it. The container will help keep moisture out and the dessicants will help take out any moisture that's made it inside the container. Get the type of dessicants that can be baked in the oven to remove the moisture and removed. Hope this helps.

In addition to the measures already suggested, I would advise the following:

1. Purchase a simple hygrometer from the hardware store and monitor the humidity level. When it gets much above 60% activate the dehumidifier,

2. Coat all the cement surfaces with Drylok: https://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2996584&CAWELAID=143758823

This stuff does a great job of keeping out seepage and sealing small cracks through which moisture could enter. Use white on the walls and gray on the floor.

3. If you have a basement drain, get the type of dehumidifier that accommodates a hose and run it to the drain so you're not emptying the pan manually every day.

I'm not sure about the plastic tub method, you're just as likely to trap moisture in with the rocket as you are to keep it out, unless you seal it in dryer environment than the one in which you store it. Dessicants may be a partial answer.

Keep the rockets up stairs, and works in progress in a box in an upstairs cupboard over night?

Back