BAR questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cummins

Reaction score
Hi ya'll

I'm a getting back into rockets after a 11 year hiatus. My first rocket since getting back in to the hobby is a Binder design Stealth Jr. I am waiting to lauch it if it will ever stop raining out or launches. I am sorry for dragging on. Let me just post my questions.

Do I need to become a NAR Member before I level 1 cert or can I do it at the same time? I am trying to find a rocket to use for level 1 cert but I want to use a rocket that is not used as much. I want to be different. To level 1 cert I will need at least a H motor correct? Are there H motors that will fit the 29mm 40/120 case or will I need a different motor case? Do I have to use a H motor to cert or can it be any motor in the class? What is the largest motor I can use with a level 1 cert? How do I get the motor if I have to be level 1 to order?

Thanks for you responses

Dale

Welcome back and welcome to TRF!

I am not yet L1 or NAR, but I'll answer what I can. As long as you have your NAR number, you should be able to certify. It takes a while to get your card in the mail, but I think if you have your number you should be fine.

I'll answer your last questions next - there are no H motors for the 40-120 casing. You'll need to get a HPR motor set. For 29mm, there is a set with the 180 and 240 casings and closures. In the propulsion section, there's a listing of places to get the motors from. As far as getting your cert motor, talk to the guys in your local club - they'll be able to help you out with getting your cert motor.

Now - the fun part! There are MANY choices for L1 cert birds. One of the more popular ones seems to be the BSD Horizon. If you want to be different, I wouldn't get a Horizon. Some other choices that I think would work, but not as popularly used would be:

Public Missiles: Small Endeavour, Phobos, Pterodactyl Junior

I'm more familiar with PML than other kit manufacturers, so those are the best recommendations I can make. I'm sure many others will post shortly...lol

Loopy

I would wait till you are ready to certify and join NAR or TRA at the field. They will let you certify then send your paperwork in. Your card then will show your Cert 1 status.

You are allowed to buy a single motor for your Cert attempt prior to the flight. I would recomend this as AT motors can still be scarse at times.

If you want to do something different go scratch and design your own. Maybe upscale a favorite Estes or Quest kit. There are a few kits such as the PML Matrix that are not the standard 3 fin rocket that are good for cert flights. Or, go with a saucer or a spool rocket.

First off check with the local group you will fly with and they will get you going in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Cert flight.

dont forget there are also Hybrids, Pro38, Kosdon, and I think that is about it to cert with. Dont think you are stuck using AT, although they are nice motors. I would go with Pro if you have never loaded a motor, they are really easy.

Another rocket that is often used is the EZI 65

Dale ,
welcome back,
Im sure some of the club members can also show you some motors and techniques for L1 as well..and probably help you aquire the motor you want to use

Is this the MARS(sp) club? the website seems be out of date lately

as for something different ,, rather challenging but,a cone or spool rocket would definately fit the bill

good luck what ever you decide

Thanks for your kindness and recommendations.

Stymye,
I have not had a chance to talk face to face with any of the members yet because of the weather. I am not sure if this is a MARS sponsored Club. I have been talking to the club’s hardware maintenance tech. for a couple months off and on. I have not had a chance to talk face to face with any of the members yet

Please excuse my ignorance but what does MARS Stand for? I see you are from the Nashville Area when do you launch? I might just have to stop by one of your launches.

Thanks again,

Dale

I'd like to offer you a warning about launching with MC2 at their field in Manchester. You'll be spoilled!! Seriously, if you can make the trek to launch with them, it's worth it. They have one of the best fields I've ever laid eyes on. And, they are a great bunch to learn from and hang out with.

You might want to post asking about MSRS members here. I think there might be a couple that visit from time to time.

As far as advice for your questions, you must be a member of either NAR, or TRA to certify L1. Rocket choices? There are many. I certed with a LOC IV, a fairly common L1 kit. It'll really scoot on an H238. Once you are certified, you'll be able to launch up to an I motor.

I am planning on joining NAR and Certing on the same day. I have chosen to go with a scratch built bird (see My L-1 Chronicle thread). I have decided to go with a Pro38 H motor in the Smokey Sam load.

As far asyou using any motor in the cert range - yes you can use any H or I impulse motor (from what I have read).

Good luck with all of the choices you have ahead of you -- I have been planning, designing my L-1 for quite awhile, and started building not that long ago., and am still changing things

Welcome back to the hobby and to TRF :)

Originally posted by Cummins
Do I need to become a NAR Member before I level 1 cert or can I do it at the same time?

Here's an except of the pertinent material from the NAR site:

Minimum Requirements

The individual must be a member in good standing of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) at the time of certification. Evidence of NAR membership will be requested prior to the certification attempt. Acceptable evidence of membership includes the NAR membership card, a canceled check indicating payment of membership fees, or participation in a NAR event where membership status is verified and indicated on the event materials.

Back