BAR Fleet #133 – Steampunk Protostar – Finally Finished !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
PS 3.PNG
Source: Estes Industries Kit #7260
Highly Modified
Type: Futuristic Sport Model
Stages: Single
Engine Type: 24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 62.4 (24.6 in.)
Diameter: 41.8mm (1.64 in.)
Weight Empty: 148.7g (5.25 oz.)
Nose Cone: Parabolic
Fin Type: Swept, with Pods
Number of Fins: 3
Color Scheme: Metallic Copper, Silver, Aluminum, Brass
Date Completed: April 6, 2022

This long-running project was finally completed today after being started all the way back in May of 2018. Not that the actual construction took that long, it’s just that the model got shelved for long periods of time while attention was frequently diverted to other projects.

The genesis of this adventure took place when, sometime back in 2018, Estes designer John Boren commented on one of the forums that he was surprised that no-one had yet built a steampunk version of his design. I perceived that as a ‘gauntlet being thrown’ and immediately purchased a kit, drew up some concept plans, and started work. At the time, I had no idea that the model wouldn’t be completed for nearly another four years!

Anyway, here it is – hand-made rivets, turned parts, holes, minute details, and all.

The complete series of detailed build posts is documented on my blog. The introductory post can be found here:

BlastFromThe Past: Steampunk Protostar, Part 1 - A Marvelously Splendid New Adventure (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

There are some lengthy stretches of posts concerning many other subjects interlaced between the Protostar build offerings, so one will have to muddle through four years of blogging. But, hey, it’s all a good read! (shameless plug). Perhaps some day I will get motivated to move the entire series to its own separate page.
PS 1.PNG
PS 2.PNG
PS 1.PNG
PS 4.PNG

Attachments

• 20220405_074325.jpg
    20220405_074325.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Come on milehigh, everybody knows that No.133 had five holes in each fin and 197 rivets in each row along the fuselage and not the 195 that you have.
Oh wait, for a minute there I thought I was on a model railroad forum.

There are some of you out there that will get the joke.

Hi, bcook
The only rivets that were made with glue spots are on the launch lug, smoke vent, and air scoop features.
The bulk of the rivets were done in a completely different way. Rather than try to describe it here, I have listed the pertinent build posts from my blog:

BlastFromThe Past: Steampunk Protostar #21 - Let The Detailing Begin ! (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

BlastFromThe Past: Steampunk Protostar, Part 33 - Rivet Panels Finished (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

BlastFromThe Past: Steampunk Protostar, Part 39 - More Rivets (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

These should adequately cover the technique.

Very nice.

I find this much more Verne than the majority of modern "steampunk" trends where a miscellaneous gear or sprocket is placed for aesthetics but doesn't actually connect to anything else. Might I recommend a nice heavy black smoke propellant to follow this on its' flights? Something that suggests it may be burning coal to power turbopumps?

Hi, 5thDay,
Thanks. You are correct. I made it a point to not over-do the unnecessary greebling on this model, such as can be found on most steampunk concoctions out there. The random parts that are attached to the Protostar were pilfered from a plastic model kit which I don't intend to build. I tried to find pieces that looked like they would have some useful function on a ship such as this. A couple of the pieces were even made from molding sprues!
Besides, this being a flying model, I didn't wish to weigh it down too much.
Other features, such as the fancy launch lugs, the steam vent, panel covers, etc. were all custom built.

As for the propulsion question:
Having a strong propensity for writing, I sat down yesterday and 'penned' a humorous, fictional story about the Protostar and posted it on my blog. The tale addresses the power question very adequately. Here is the link...

BlastFromThe Past: Concerning The Steampunk Protostar.... (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

Hi, 5thDay,
Thanks. You are correct. I made it a point to not over-do the unnecessary greebling on this model, such as can be found on most steampunk concoctions out there. The random parts that are attached to the Protostar were pilfered from a plastic model kit which I don't intend to build. I tried to find pieces that looked like they would have some useful function on a ship such as this. A couple of the pieces were even made from molding sprues!
Besides, this being a flying model, I didn't wish to weigh it down too much.
Other features, such as the fancy launch lugs, the steam vent, panel covers, etc. were all custom built.

As for the propulsion question:
Having a strong propensity for writing, I sat down yesterday and 'penned' a humorous, fictional story about the Protostar and posted it on my blog. The tale addresses the power question very adequately. Here is the link...

BlastFromThe Past: Concerning The Steampunk Protostar.... (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

I enjoyed reading your technique sections on the rivets. I learned some things and may apply to a future build. I also really enjoyed your history of the Protostar. I attempt to be mildly creative at times and my wife is a writer, so it is obvious that you wrote that because you wanted to and it comes across without being forced. It is really cool to see multiple creative outlets that are so well executed. Well done on both accounts, sir. Safe flights. Hopefully we see some interesting notes in volume 2.

Sandy.

View attachment 513035
Source: Estes Industries Kit #7260
Highly Modified
Type: Futuristic Sport Model
Stages: Single
Engine Type: 24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 62.4 (24.6 in.)
Diameter: 41.8mm (1.64 in.)
Weight Empty: 148.7g (5.25 oz.)
Nose Cone: Parabolic
Fin Type: Swept, with Pods
Number of Fins: 3
Color Scheme: Metallic Copper, Silver, Aluminum, Brass
Date Completed: April 6, 2022

This long-running project was finally completed today after being started all the way back in May of 2018. Not that the actual construction took that long, it’s just that the model got shelved for long periods of time while attention was frequently diverted to other projects.

The genesis of this adventure took place when, sometime back in 2018, Estes designer John Boren commented on one of the forums that he was surprised that no-one had yet built a steampunk version of his design. I perceived that as a ‘gauntlet being thrown’ and immediately purchased a kit, drew up some concept plans, and started work. At the time, I had no idea that the model wouldn’t be completed for nearly another four years!

Anyway, here it is – hand-made rivets, turned parts, holes, minute details, and all.

The complete series of detailed build posts is documented on my blog. The introductory post can be found here:

BlastFromThe Past: Steampunk Protostar, Part 1 - A Marvelously Splendid New Adventure (castlerocketeer.blogspot.com)

There are some lengthy stretches of posts concerning many other subjects interlaced between the Protostar build offerings, so one will have to muddle through four years of blogging. But, hey, it’s all a good read! (shameless plug). Perhaps some day I will get motivated to move the entire series to its own separate page.
View attachment 513033
View attachment 513034
View attachment 513033
View attachment 513045
STEAM PUNKER FOR LIFE.... LOVE IT

Back