Bananas for Miss Baker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
A little history lesson...

Before Alan Sheppard rode the first Redstone into space and long before John Glenn was the dirst American to orbit the earth, two Army voyagers pioneered the space frontier for manned launches...

Monkeys Able and Baker, known as "monkeynauts" were lofted from Cape Canaveral 45 years ago today and were the first animals to survive the fiery ride into space.

Able died days after his return due to an allergic reaction to anesthetic, but miss Baker lived on as an attraction at the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville, AL until she died of kidney failure in 1984.

I made a trip to the center in 1982, and was able to see the true 1st astronaut...she is buried there today.

Not many people know these little known space trivias...now you know a little more.

wow. quite amazing. I am out of school at this moment and am still learning stuff. thanks for the info!

wasnt the Russian Dog Laika the first animal to survive the voyage into space aboard Spunkit 2, the 1,200 (around there) lb satellite that sustained her for a few days. I think the Monkeys were the first to come back

The key word is survived. There were a number of monkeys that were sent towards space that never came back. :(

Back