Bamboo rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
Anyone here ever build a rocket out of bamboo? I'm thinking this stuff is strong, lightweight, cylindrical, and even has built-in internal support rings!

WW

interesting tho... doesn't seem very safe because I't won't crumple as a typical rocket body would..but rather shard into pieces....or come down like a spear shaft

Haven't used bamboo, but I have built and entire Odd-Roc from a single Cornstalk. body and nose cone are hollowed out and CA inside coated. Used the root system for Drag stability and a couple pieces of root for the launch lugs. Flys on a A3-4t or A10-3T. 12" mylar chute.:D It is truely a fun flier:D I'm sure the bamboo would work well for the body and nose, I'm not sure what bamboo's root system looks like.

Good Grief styeme: Have you seen those phenolic hpr tubes that guy's stand on between a couple chairs? Bamboo meets all standards as a MR construction material. While I haven't done a study I'd be willing to bet the SM and crumple stats for a 4 to 6" piece of natural bamboo would be lower than that of a 4 or 6" piece of sonatube or any of the phenolic heavy wall tube sold as "airframes" everywhere.

that us truely the coolest, weirdest rocket I have ever seen

Hey you know me: Ol'e wierd John
heres a little better look at "U.S. Corn" I hope you can see were the stalk was split into about 1/16" strips with an X-acto saw then pulled in to form the nose cone. I'm sure this method would work with bamboo as well;)

I've thought about rocket powered bamboo, but I'd rather do an experiment like this as LPR rather than MPR, and I haven't found a piece of bamboo the right size yet; we sell it at the Michaels store but you'd need a pretty spunky motor to lift those chunks.

doesn't seem very safe because I't won't crumple as a typical rocket body would..but rather shard into pieces....or come down like a spear shaft

sounds like carbon fiber to me!! hey that's it, "naturally extruded carbon fiber".

Back