EVENT Bama Blastoff 2018 Inaugural Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahall4

Reaction score
bbheader-newslug2_orig.jpg

Soon to be Dixie's premier amature rocket event! 2000 acres of primary recovery area (completely open); 12,000 acres of secondary recovery area; and a 16.8K ft waiver. For event details and accommodations visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/251326039020364/

Last edited:
I plan to try for my Level 2 Certification flight at this launch. Just recruited a friend who has been out of rocketry for decades to get back into the hobby. He's going to try for his Level 1 Cert at this event as well. Hope we'll see you all there.

Anyone know of big motor flights that are planning on coming?

Such a nice field, why is only one launch scheduled? Will there be any flying there next year?

This is the very first time anyone has flown off the field.

Then it sounds like you know more than I, but Steve told me last night that free shuttles to the flight line would only be necessary if the road conditions on the field required it. Hence the reference on the map to "wet parking".

Can't wait to see that one!

I'm sure we have more "feature flights" planned than are on the Facebook list. If you know of any please encourage the flyer to let us know so we can get them on the list. I'll probably update it one more time before the launch.

Well there's certainly no way I can make it there this year but I am going to keep an eye on this event for the future...Going that far south this time of year to fly rockets sounds really appealling. Weather this weekend is looking FANTASTIC for you guys. Temps in the high 60s / low 70s and winds in the single digits? Yeah, flying rockets in shorts sounds aweome. :D Can't ask for much better than that. Plus...looking around at lodging options seem rather inexpensive - although it's kinda out in the middle of nowhere kinda like Argonia haha.

I hope someone plans on posting some launch pictures so I can get an idea of what the fields are like. Thanks!

Weather this weekend is looking FANTASTIC for you guys. Temps in the high 60s / low 70s and winds in the single digits? Yeah, flying rockets in shorts sounds aweome. :D Can't ask for much better than that.
Coming from Florida, it’s just the opposite. That’s considered cold.

IMG_6373.jpg

Saw some great launches today, unfortunately I only get the one day. Great group of folks out here and the friendliest landowners I’ve ever met... saw Scott launch his polecat Nike Smoke on a sparky M

Flew about 15 flights today and gave my chute release a real workout, hoping I can make it to GRITS and Bunnell blast in November I’ve really got bitten by launch fever.

Has a good launch day, bringing all my rockets home all beit some showing some scars. Almost shredded a Majestic on a G77 and a trajectory with four failed chute inflation’s but it still looks great just some scrapesIMG_1540699627.771219.jpg

Wonderful event! Hat's off to Mach 1, Birmingham Rocket Boys, Chris's Rocketry Supplies, and everyone involved in making this possible. Landowners were the nicest, and most welcoming hosts--and it was amazing to see the low power pad filled with children, many of them flying Estes Alpha rockets for the first time. Seeing them, it was easy to relive the feeling of flying my first rockets a half century ago.

Along with the many college teams, and other young people present--it was clear to see that the future of our hobby is in great hands.

Also in attendance was CG of the Rocketry Show Podcast, and his lady friend, Kelly--who made the long trek down. They recorded a lot of interviews, sold t-shirts to support the show, and inspired everyone with their enthusiasm for the event.

Personally, I was able to earn my Level 2 Certification--thanks to many mentors, and coaches who helped along the way. Ronald, Steve, Allen, Craig, and more. I'm in your debt.

Can't wait for the next Bama Blastoff!

Wonderful event! Hat's off to Mach 1, Birmingham Rocket Boys, Chris's Rocketry Supplies, and everyone involved in making this possible. Landowners were the nicest, and most welcoming hosts--and it was amazing to see the low power pad filled with children, many of them flying Estes Alpha rockets for the first time. Seeing them, it was easy to relive the feeling of flying my first rockets a half century ago.

Along with the many college teams, and other young people present--it was clear to see that the future of our hobby is in great hands.

Also in attendance was CG of the Rocketry Show Podcast, and his lady friend, Kelly--who made the long trek down. They recorded a lot of interviews, sold t-shirts to support the show, and inspired everyone with their enthusiasm for the event.

Personally, I was able to earn my Level 2 Certification--thanks to many mentors, and coaches who helped along the way. Ronald, Steve, Allen, Craig, and more. I'm in your debt.

Can't wait for the next Bama Blastoff!
That sounds like it was a great time. I know at least two TRA-LA members were there: Scott flew his Nike Smoke and one of his pyramid-looking rocket things and Whitney shared several pictures via Facebook of some nice liftoffs. Looked like lots of fun. Maybe I'll make it some time.

Back