Baltic Birch Plywood from Vendors and it's True dimensions question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
Question; if I buy a pack of 6 sheets of 6" x 12", of say Baltic Birch plywood from one of our Vendors,
is it acceptable that the "True" dimensions are 1/8" less than the advertised sizes?
I've purchased 3 different sizes of plywood and all of them are 1/8" shy of being correct, length and width.
So if I wanted to use the full length of say 12", I'm screwed! Is this the way it is for all Hobby Plywood?

From my experiences as a Carpenter, all of the stock we used was generaly 1/8" to 1/4" over sized.

JP

Last edited:
I guess they purchase a 4 x 8 sheet and cut it in small pieces, so they include the lost make by the blade.

From my experiences as a Carpenter, all of the stock we used was generaly 1/8" to 1/4" over sized.

Funny, I have never seen a 2 X 4 that was actually 2 inches X 4 inches... But I know what you mean regarding length.

Funny, I have never seen a 2 X 4 that was actually 2 inches X 4 inches... But I know what you mean regarding length.
I have years ago. We were tearing down an old picture show place and the boards were true dimensions...
But also the question wasn't about 2"x4"s either.

JP

Last edited:
91 views, wow!
I guess I hit on something that's Taboo. :y:

(Area66) if a customer came into my shop and ordered a piece of material, let's say 18" x 24", I would obtain a sheet
of 4' x 8' and cut it out, 18" x 24". I certainly wouldn't expect the customer to "eat" the saw blade thickness as I'm
certain the customer wouldn't buy it if it wasn't 18" x 24".

Somebody wish me luck, I guess I'll shop vendors for somebody that sells Hobby Plywood that are true to their advertised sizes...

OK, I'm done.:fly:
JP

I buy full sheets of baltic birch, they're 5x5, or 60"x60"-- no overage. I believe they're actually a metric dimension, but without a 6' dial caliper, I can't measure to see for sure. Either way, they're VERY close to the 60" dimension.

In an effort to keep from ending up with unsaleable scrap, these vendors are probably cutting "on the line", instead of ripping to a dimension. If you figure 3/32 kerf for a thin kerf blade and want to make 12" pieces, that's 4 cuts. If you rip to exact dimension you'll get 4 pieces the right size, and one that is 3/8" undersize.

What the vendors SHOULD be doing is ADVERTISING that the pieces will be 6x12 +0,-.125 on each dimension. Not entioning the cut tolerance is poor form.

What thickness and ply count do you want? I'll sell you exact dimension, whatever size you want. OR, I can CNC router cut parts... :cool:

N

I buy full sheets of baltic birch, they're 5x5, or 60"x60"-- no overage. I believe they're actually a metric dimension, but without a 6' dial caliper, I can't measure to see for sure. Either way, they're VERY close to the 60" dimension.

In an effort to keep from ending up with unsaleable scrap, these vendors are probably cutting "on the line", instead of ripping to a dimension. If you figure 3/32 kerf for a thin kerf blade and want to make 12" pieces, that's 4 cuts. If you rip to exact dimension you'll get 4 pieces the right size, and one that is 3/8" undersize.

What the vendors SHOULD be doing is ADVERTISING that the pieces will be 6x12 +0,-.125 on each dimension. Not entioning the cut tolerance is poor form.

What thickness and ply count do you want? I'll sell you exact dimension, whatever size you want. OR, I can CNC router cut parts... :cool:

N

Nat,
Thank you for posting. You're probably right and yes, the Vendors should change their posted sizes!
I'll take you up on your offer, but it's going to be a while. I've still got plenty to use up. That's very kind of you!

When we fill orders and get into more than one 4' x 8' sheet we charge the customer for that sheet too. We always ask if they want the remainer of the sheet and usually 50% of the customers take it with them.

Best Regards,

JP

Back