Balsa filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
OK, I just used up the last of my Elmer's Fill and Sand, and I find out they don't make it any more, which is a shame cause it lasts so long and is easy to use. What do I use now? Any ideas?

Andrew From Texas

It's still there just has a different name. I'm sure someone can give you the current name.

I haven't used any type fillers in years. perferring to use cheap hi build primers to fill my woodgrain and body seams all at once. Adds a small amount of mass to the model but is generally quicker and far less work then any paste on fillers. Currently I'm using a Wal-mart auto grey primer that's less the a buck a 12oz can. 3 coats and sand, repeat if necessary. most models only require an extra coat after the initial 3 coats. The E-Interceptor I'm working on took two complete sets of 3 coat because of very grainy balsa.

I use 2 or 3 coats of lacquer sanding sealer (Behlen's is my preference) as a base and then switch to the high build primer. The sanding sealer is more expensive, but builds pretty fast and can be sanded within an hour with reasonable temperatures.

OK, I just used up the last of my Elmer's Fill and Sand, and I find out they don't make it any more, which is a shame cause it lasts so long and is easy to use. What do I use now? Any ideas?

Andrew From Texas

I'm using regular Elmer's wood filler and I'm quite happy with the results... I think it to the consistency of mustard or ketchup, or maybe just a HAIR thinner-- and apply it with a 1 inch paintbrush. It dries fast and sands easy, and fills well.

I usually only have to brush on one coat, allow about a half hour to hour to dry, and then sand it down. Anything I can see that needs a little more, I touch up with the brush, let dry, and sand down again. I find that 99% of the time she's ready to go straight to primering at that point...

Good luck! OL JR :)

I agree with Luke--the regular filler works well if you don't wait too long to sand it--not a problem for a lot of folks. But, if you wait too long it gets real hard--not what you want when filling balsa.

Back