Quantcast

Balsa filler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

accooper

Reaction score
OK, I just used up the last of my Elmer's Fill and Sand, and I find out they don't make it any more, which is a shame cause it lasts so long and is easy to use. What do I use now? Any ideas?

Andrew From Texas

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's still there just has a different name. I'm sure someone can give you the current name.

I haven't used any type fillers in years. perferring to use cheap hi build primers to fill my woodgrain and body seams all at once. Adds a small amount of mass to the model but is generally quicker and far less work then any paste on fillers. Currently I'm using a Wal-mart auto grey primer that's less the a buck a 12oz can. 3 coats and sand, repeat if necessary. most models only require an extra coat after the initial 3 coats. The E-Interceptor I'm working on took two complete sets of 3 coat because of very grainy balsa.

hardinlw

Reaction score
I use 2 or 3 coats of lacquer sanding sealer (Behlen's is my preference) as a base and then switch to the high build primer. The sanding sealer is more expensive, but builds pretty fast and can be sanded within an hour with reasonable temperatures.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
OK, I just used up the last of my Elmer's Fill and Sand, and I find out they don't make it any more, which is a shame cause it lasts so long and is easy to use. What do I use now? Any ideas?

Andrew From Texas
I'm using regular Elmer's wood filler and I'm quite happy with the results... I think it to the consistency of mustard or ketchup, or maybe just a HAIR thinner-- and apply it with a 1 inch paintbrush. It dries fast and sands easy, and fills well.

I usually only have to brush on one coat, allow about a half hour to hour to dry, and then sand it down. Anything I can see that needs a little more, I touch up with the brush, let dry, and sand down again. I find that 99% of the time she's ready to go straight to primering at that point...

Good luck! OL JR :)

Zack Lau

Reaction score
I agree with Luke--the regular filler works well if you don't wait too long to sand it--not a problem for a lot of folks. But, if you wait too long it gets real hard--not what you want when filling balsa.