Balsa Block

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drt_trkr

Reaction score
I am looking for some info...

I am interested in purchasing 4"X4"X 12" Balsa wood Blocks. Is this possible? seems everywhere I try to looks there is nothing that large. I am using this to make Nose cones for my 3" diameter rocket.

On the other hand any one got some ideas you could share with me as to another way to build nose cones that size? Does any Vendor sell plastic nose cones that size?

I have build this rocket already and used a piece of Styrofoam then coated it with a layer of window caulking. (yea i know laugh it up!!!:roll:)

Thank you in advance...

I am interested in purchasing 4"X4"X 12" Balsa wood Blocks. Is this possible? seems everywhere I try to looks there is nothing that large. I am using this to make Nose cones for my 3" diameter rocket.

On the other hand any one got some ideas you could share with me as to another way to build nose cones that size? Does any Vendor sell plastic nose cones that size?

I have build this rocket already and used a piece of Styrofoam then coated it with a layer of window caulking. (yea i know laugh it up!!!:roll:)

Thank you in advance...
Well, you could get multiple blocks and shape them in sections of your nosecone. then glue them together.

Or you can go to apogee's page for LOC nosecones here

Or PML nosecones here

You can use Styrofoam and put a couple layers of FG on it. I've never done an NC this large, so someone will need to chime in on the weight of the FG, but it is most certainly doable. The other FG option is to make a wooden plug, make a female mold of that, then use that to make the nose cone.

Balsa Machining Services sells balsa nose cone blocks and 36 inch long 3x3 and 4x4 blocks of balsa. Ted

Balsa Machining Services sells balsa nose cone blocks and 36 inch long 3x3 and 4x4 blocks of balsa. Ted

Bill's 4" x 4" balsa blacks are 3" x 3" with a 1" x 3" and a 1" x 4" slab glued on.

I know I purchased some a long time ago.

Thank you all for your help!!! I am new to this so I'm sure I will be asking a lot more questions!!!

Thank you again...

Bill's 4" x 4" balsa blacks are 3" x 3" with a 1" x 3" and a 1" x 4" slab glued on.

I know I purchased some a long time ago.

I'd guess from your post that laminating balsa to make turning blocks is a bad idea? I bought a 3x4x36 solid block from my LHS to try my hand at turning nosecones. I'll want to turn mostly 2.6 inch and I was considering gluing the scrap together into blocks and turning it. Ted

Thank you in advance...

Yes you can purchase Balsa blocks in 4" x 4" size. Try www.nationalbalsa.com or www.midwestproducts.com

If you find the balsa a bit more than you want to spend you can alway turn another SM styrofoam cone and glass it. just use coating epoxy and light fabric;)

I'd guess from your post that laminating balsa to make turning blocks is a bad idea? I bought a 3x4x36 solid block from my LHS to try my hand at turning nosecones. I'll want to turn mostly 2.6 inch and I was considering gluing the scrap together into blocks and turning it. Ted

No, you missunderstood. I have nothing against laminated balsa block. I do it all the time. It's just so you know it's a glue up and not actually 4" x 4" balsa.

The problem is some of my customers prefer that I make somthing larger than 3x3 out of solid one piece 4x4 not laminated.

Besides if it's laminated I don't want to pay the labor to glue it up. I have glue and clamps. I can do that.

No, you missunderstood. I have nothing against laminated balsa block. I do it all the time. It's just so you know it's a glue up and not actually 4" x 4" balsa.

The problem is some of my customers prefer that I make somthing larger than 3x3 out of solid one piece 4x4 not laminated.

Besides if it's laminated I don't want to pay the labor to glue it up. I have glue and clamps. I can do that.

Ah I see. Not being experienced I thought that perhaps the glue seam might mill differently than the pure balsa. Would a yellow wood glue be adequate for gluing? Or is there something else you recommend? Ted

Ah I see. Not being experienced I thought that perhaps the glue seam might mill differently than the pure balsa. Would a yellow wood glue be adequate for gluing? Or is there something else you recommend? Ted

Glued up wood does machine differently and you do have to adjust your technique a bit. It is especially tuff on automated equipment.

Yellow glue works real well. That's what I use but use a lot of clamps!

Back