Balsa and Routers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some experiments on WH vs. CA on BTs, not balsa. No significant difference was observed except the WH was far easier to apply.

It wasn't a particularly scientific test, but I was satisfied.

Have you considered a Great Planes sander block?
They have them in 5.5", 11", 22" and others...

I use those, and they are great. I also bought one and cut it into shorter lengths -- so I have them loaded with multiple grits of the adhesive-backed sandpaper. The plane is a nice tool if you have a large area to flatten. I used one some time ago to taper the leading edge on the fins for an Estes Phoenix. Since they edges were quite sharp, And fragile, I saturated with thin CA to toughen them.

Lots of ways to accomplish the same task. :)

I did some experiments on WH vs. CA on BTs, not balsa. No significant difference was observed except the WH was far easier to apply.

It wasn't a particularly scientific test, but I was satisfied.

That was the crush test right?

I use those, and they are great. I also bought one and cut it into shorter lengths -- so I have them loaded with multiple grits of the adhesive-backed sandpaper. The plane is a nice tool if you have a large area to flatten. I used one some time ago to taper the leading edge on the fins for an Estes Phoenix. Since they edges were quite sharp, And fragile, I saturated with thin CA to toughen them.

Lots of ways to accomplish the same task. :)

Just so happens that the Pheonix is one of the kits I need to bevel.

Mike over at Binder swears by sanding sealer for water resistance. He's said that after he completes a build, he coats the inside of the tubes with it and lets it dry.

Latest posts

Back