EVENT BALLS 29

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I've seen this somewhere but is it true that you have to be certified through Tripoli to launch at BALLS? Would you launch not be permitted if you were certified through the NAR instead?

Dear Balls Fliers

With Covid on the rise again, and the uncertainty this brings the, Balls organizers have decided to Cancel Balls 29 this year.

This was an exceedingly difficult decision for us to make but we all unanimously agree that we could not put on a Balls size launch and ensure the safety of all attending. It is our social responsibility to protect all those who attend, and we felt this would not be possible at this time or in the next few months.

We also had financial issues to consider, as deadlines to order and pay for things were rapidly approaching. Even with this being Nevada, we did not feel comfortable gambling with our finances on an event that may not happen.

By canceling now fliers should have ample time to cancel travel reservations and not lose vacation time.

For those of you who have registered, If you want a refund please contact Dave Rose ([email protected]) the Tripoli Gerlach treasurer. Alternatively, we can transfer your registration to next year’s Balls launch.

Balls 29 is rescheduled to September 24, 25, 26, 2021

I look forward to seeing everyone at Balls in 2021

Stay Safe and healthy

Tripoli Gerlach

A tough decision, I'm sure...between rain and COVID, ROC hasn't launched all year. Our BoD is just sick at having to make that decision each month so I know how you folks must be bummed.

Relating to BALLS cancellation this was posted on TRA Forum

"Along with that - the Hamsters will be kept in their cages for another year. The hamster's will get another year of rest before they get to break out again.
No Hamster Dance 2020."

Hamster Dance is held un the BALLS permits and waiver.

Anyone still interested in flying at Black Rock at the same time as BALLS was scheduled???
Come to Sierra Rocketry September Skies!
Sierra Rocketry (Tripoli Reno) is putting on a launch at Black Rock September 25-27. Current attendee limit is 50 per the BLM (with hopes of increasing it). 50,000' waiver, 300,000' with class 3 (flyer responsibility). We have t-shirts for sale, a raffle, playa dust, and a pot luck dinner Saturday.
PM me for details.

BLM land and policies. The likely have a permit that allows for up to 50 participants.
Why is that rule in place of 50 people or less because wasn't there more then 150+ people at anyone time at other national launches?

Is the difference b/c its government land vs. private?

Last edited:
Why is that rule in place of 50 people or less because wasn't there more then 150+ people at anyone time in argonia?

Is the difference government land vs. private?

The BLM has required permits for launches at Black Rock for a long time; this is nothing new. Part of the BALLS registration fee every year is to pay for the permit.

I've never applied for a Black Rock usage permit, so I cannot tell you the details, or if anything has changed on permit requirements.

Why is that rule in place of 50 people or less because wasn't there more then 150+ people at anyone time in argonia?

Is the difference government land vs. private?
This English makes no sense to me. Please leave Argonia out of this discussion. There is NO linkage between BALLS and KLOUDBusters launches.

I believe 50 is the group limit without a permit.
BALLS has always had a BLM permit. We payed per person x day, within reason we can have as many as show up.
Very large groups such as BurningMan annually negotiate a maximum number

BALLS has always had a BLM permit. We payed per person x day, within reason we can have as many as show up.
thank you Mclark for answering my question!!🙂🙂 much appreciated. with this such a crazy time we are living in i was just curious how some events are allowed and some are not either rocketry related or not. heck sturgis was allowed.

It is just how much risk the event promoter is willing to take.

BALLS was canceled fairly early because of participants coming from worldwide and in large groups (Such as students). When cancelled there was no good information on how long lockdowns and travel bans would be in effect. We didn’t want flyers coming from (example) Australia and tell them a week ou the launch had been canceled.

M

I think BM is at 50000 tickets. If no one shows up to their spot after a day or so, they can sell the spot to whomever drives up, iirc.

There are no real federal Covid 19 size restrictions, only recommendations. Each state (or in some cases county) enacts its own group size restrictions due to Covid. The State of Nevada adopted a limit of 50 people. Kansas is restricted or not county by county. Sumner County (Argonia) has no group size restriction according to https://www.khi.org/assets/uploads/news/15015/khi_policytracker_august11.pdf. Neither does the state of South Dakota (Sturgis). Even BLM must comply with each states’ group size limit.

Burning Man’s most recent permit was for 80,000 and they wanted to expand that to 100,000. Tripoli’s comments were that that was too many. Burning Man officially went virtual this year although some people went to the playa anyway.

There are no real federal Covid 19 size restrictions, only recommendations. Each state (or in some cases county) enacts its own group size restrictions due to Covid. The State of Nevada adopted a limit of 50 people. Kansas is restricted or not county by county. Sumner County (Argonia) has no group size restriction according to https://www.khi.org/assets/uploads/news/15015/khi_policytracker_august11.pdf. Neither does the state of South Dakota (Sturgis). Even BLM must comply with each states’ group size limit.

Burning Man’s most recent permit was for 80,000 and they wanted to expand that to 100,000. Tripoli’s comments were that that was too many. Burning Man officially went virtual this year although some people went to the playa anyway.
Yeah, it was 50k when I went to BM in 2008. I get the newsletter and every year it’s a battle (except this year of course). BM wants more tickets available and BLM puts more and more restrictions. Afterwards, the volunteers walk straight line across the playa to make it the same as it was before the event. If BLM inspects and doesn’t approve, no permit next year. I imagine it’s the same with Balls.

Back