EVENT BALLS 28

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one created this thread yet. Who's coming, and what are you flying?

I plan t be there with a couple of Wildman rockets again. Also a couple of Mad Cow Go Devils (54 and 75 mm). Probably fly all on Ks, or maybe an L or two...

I will be using Big Red Bee trackers, and have a mobile tracking set up in the truck.

I'm going would be my first time and really looking forward to spending time with great friends and making new ones. Flying a 54mm Wildman Mach2 on a K805G and K456DM.

Sadly, I had to cancel my trip this year. I was planning to fly Don't Debate This, Too (composite case, min. dia, N5800) again. Everything was going OK until the recovery system failed last year. :) I'm looking forward to rebuilding and flying it again in 2020.

Last edited:
Wish I could go but I have work and no vacations until December 14th. Maybe next year I can take vacation off and trek out there.

I'm planning to attend and fly a scratch built 75mm minimum diameter rocket. I'm planning to build a launch tower this weekend, but before I do that I'll ask all of you: is anyone attending BALLS that has a launch tower that will support a 3" rocket with 3 fins and a 3" rocket with 4 fins (we'll be flying both at BALLS) that we could use a few times? Both rockets are about 5' tall. Neither have launch lugs or rail buttons, so we need a tower similar to what's in Mike's picture a few posts up. Thanks!

Last edited:
People with towers are leery of others using them at least until they have launched. Don’t want them blown up.

I will be using a FARG for my 3 inch MD M flight. I'd prefer a tower but that was not possible for me this year.

Is there a better map or set of directions to get to the launch site? I see how to get to Gerlach/Brunos but then where do I go? How is the drive at night?

Is there a better map or set of directions to get to the launch site? I see how to get to Gerlach/Brunos but then where do I go? How is the drive at night?

After dark it’s like a sensory deprivation experiment; unless you can navigate by the stars, it would be very easy to get lost. You’d end up knowing on your fingers before being found.
Okay, it’s not that bad, but I would hate to be the first one out there before there are some tracks to follow. Like Mark said the cones vary in sequential spacing. Some are close together and then some are way off in the distance.

• There is this new gadget, I think its called a handheld GSP or something like that. You enter some numbers and it will take you right to the site. The DSM suggestion is a good one also. However Shine on you crazy diamond from WYWH I think would be more mind blowing.

Will Burning Man's Temporary Closure Area still be in effect for Balls?

I know AeroPac has had to have special dash placard in our vehicles to get by the closed area. IIRC we have to follow a specific GPS route to our launch site. Our placards have balls dates on them too.

I don't see any info about this one the Balls site.

Tony

LOL, I was thinking of jammin' TOOL's new album on 11 on the night drive out there.
I have the GPS coordinates (40° 52' 59.73" N 119° 02' 04.73" W) and know where it is at, but it's just a matter of "getting" there. Trying to avoid the "let's just pick any trail path that leads to the playa" method. I'm not scared of the dark I got plenty of lighting, ground clearance and 4WD on the truck.

Here is the Link to the "Playa Access Pass" and a picture of it. YOU NEED TO PRINT THIS.
Link- https://www.rimworld.com/ballslaunch/documents/2019_RocketLaunchDriving Pass.pdf?action=volunteer

So from what I can see.... Once IN Gerlach, on I-447 North-which is also Main St.-, you can follow that to I-34 North, which takes you along the North-West side of the lake bed along the base of the mountain range and then dumps you into the lake bed about 11 Miles down that road. This also leads directly to the burning man city/site or whatever it's called. You can then traverse all the way to the GPS coordinates from there?
This also looks consistent with the actual BALLS website map, but this is officially how you get there on the ground?

See Exhibit A, B and C

A- Gerlach via I-447 North (Main St.) to I-34 North, follow 11 miles to Playa entrance.

B- Playa entrance to GPS Coordinates

C- BALLS website map

OR.... Is it possible to follow the Rail Road Tracks from the I-447 North right when you get into Gerlach, and then cut over to the GPS Coordinates?

See Exhibit D.

D- I-447 North to Rail Road Tracks, then to GPS Coordinates

Thoughts?

Do not follow the railroad tracks. South end of the playa is a mud hole.
When you go onto the playa at 11 mile what passes for a road has some wicked bumps/ditches across it. Smooths out in a mile or so.
If it is raining stay on pavement. If wind is blowing you may drive into dust with truly zero visibility.
Map is pretty good, the first road before the turn is well established, after the turn tends to be a group of tracks.
Don't drive anywhere it looks wet.
If you think you are lost stop, follow your GPS track back to road.
Some people drive very fast on the playa, don't do that.

Best option,
Go in daylight
Use GPS plus common sense
Follow someone in who knows where they are going. Go to Bruno's and ask if anyone is heading out.

M

We traveled to XPRS on the playa last year and got there after dark. It's not too hard to find the launch site. Just find the Mile 11 turnoff, follow the cones, then once the cones disappear keep referencing your GPS. Our phone GPS got us close enough to see lights from the camping area. If you arrive after dark, don't drive too fast (you'll be tempted to), since there can be some nasty ruts and bumps out there at least in the first few miles as Mark noted.

Any word on how some of these insane projects did? AT posted some tasty photos of a O to M flight on their FB page that was to go to 200k. Just wondering if that was successful or not...

Any word on how some of these insane projects did? AT posted some tasty photos of a O to M flight on their FB page that was to go to 200k. Just wondering if that was successful or not...
That was Kip's flight and sadly it wasn't successful. Video here.

Sadly it seems Facebook is the best place to find news about these flights.

How’d the Mach 2 perform?

It was back-to-back 100% successful flights. 12,500' @M1.4 on a K456DM and 15,500' @M1.8 on a K805G. All the electronics and deployments worked. Flew straight as an arrow each time. Wildman gave it a thumbs up and got to learn the history of this rocket.
20190921_151451.jpg
20190921_163232.jpg

Last edited:
That was Kip's flight and sadly it wasn't successful. Video here.

Sadly it seems Facebook is the best place to find news about these flights.

That sucks. That really really sucks. I wonder if they ever found the bootster then...Thanks for sharing that video.

Back