Balloons for tube making?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperSpeed

Reaction score
I need to make some motor liners which fit the inside tube diameter. I have heard that you can use long balloons inside of the sleeve to do this.

I want to give it a try, but I want to make sure I use balloons which are thick enough and also long enough. Liner lengths will be up to 28" and around 2" diameter.

Anyone know where I can order the right type of balloons for doing this?

I was afraid the standard party shaping balloons may pop trying to do this.

i've never heard of using balloons to make tubes, but ithink your right about the party balloons. would it not be easier to go to a wood store and buy a pole of the correct diameter, or if the pole is too thick, attach the pole to a drill and then sanding down to size.

The "Rocket Team Vatsaas" web page has an article on forming tubes using balloons:

https://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/construction/tubeform/tubeform.aspx

According to the page, they used "a LARGE party balloon -- 36 inches round, purchased at a party supply store."

-- Roger

That's a big diameter tube which they made. After some thought, I think I will try the wood mandrel. The problem is, I will probably have to sand the tube back down to get it to fit snugly.

How about making the liners by wrapping material around a spent motor or a reload case? If one spent motor isn't long enough, try taping several of them together end to end with scotch tape or clear package tape. You could also push a thin dowel down through the series of joined motors to help hold them together.

Mark \\.

How about making the liners by wrapping material around a spent motor or a reload case? If one spent motor isn't long enough, try taping several of them together end to end with scotch tape or clear package tape. You could also push a thin dowel down through the series of joined motors to help hold them together.

Mark \\.

Even cheaper, I often join spent 24 mm casings with spent 18mm casings. White or yellow glue locks them tight.

I tried something similar for fiberglassing the inside of a large nose cone and coupler, with very disappointing results. It got very messy very quickly, and after many attempts, I gave up on the balloon and just kept pushing the soggy fiberglass into place with my gloved hand and various squeegees till the epoxy gelled.
I later had some success at inside molding fiberglass tubes in a polished aluminum form tube, using a section of bicycle tire inner tube as a balloon, but getting the darn thing out proved to be a real b****, even with the release film and lubricant.
It probably works better with stiffer materials like paper which tend to roll into a neat circular shape, but considering the difficulty in extracting it after, i'd suggest the normal mandrel method might be less trouble. Or search for an appropriate size of off-the-shelf tubing- depending on the size you need, vendors like Totally tubular, Aerocon, or others may have what you need.

Back