• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ball milling machine, milled strontium, and milled barium

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for an inexpensive ball milling setup, all I can find are industrial ones in the thoasands of dollars. Alternatively, if you have any milled strontium or barium nitrate that you're interested in getting rid of I'm looking for some. Thanks!

Last edited:
Spot on what I needed, you're the man Steve. I spent hours searching for this this morning. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks Steve! I didn't see your post until after I ordered 0.38" balls (lead) off eBay, 100 of them. I would've added it to my pending order at slylighter, oh well. Does that size and count seem reasonable for the machine I bought? Never done this before, and will NEVER do it with AP. What I know is stand away, do it outside, and clean thoroughly or use separate machine for each chemical. Got any other pointers to keep me safe? How long do you typically run the machine for to get say 100 micron strontium down to 10 or so, or whatever size it takes to get a nice red? Is it hours or days? Thanks again!

Rule of thumb for efficient ball milling is that the jar should be about half-full of media, and the material to be ground should be just enough to fill the spaces between the media. That's from Lloyd Sponenburg's book on ball milling theory and practice.

A properly designed and charged ball mill should reduce granular material to flour in an hour or less. The actual time required to mill to a specific size (distribution) is a function of the shape and hardness of the media, the hardness of the charge, and some other variables.

Best,
Terry

I would look up the toxicity of barium nitrate and see if you are comfortable with all the personal protective equipment you need to grind it up before you do so.

Edward

Thanks Steve! I didn't see your post until after I ordered 0.38" balls (lead) off eBay, 100 of them. I would've added it to my pending order at slylighter, oh well. Does that size and count seem reasonable for the machine I bought? Never done this before, and will NEVER do it with AP. What I know is stand away, do it outside, and clean thoroughly or use separate machine for each chemical. Got any other pointers to keep me safe? How long do you typically run the machine for to get say 100 micron strontium down to 10 or so, or whatever size it takes to get a nice red? Is it hours or days? Thanks again!

I have no idea. The only reason I knew where to buy the machine and lead balls is because I considered buying one for myself to make BP. Ned Gorski and Skylighter have YouTube videos that should answer some of your questions.

Steve Shannon

I have no idea. The only reason I knew where to buy the machine and lead balls is because I considered buying one for myself to make BP. Ned Gorski and Skylighter have YouTube videos that should answer some of your questions.

Steve Shannon

Steve, BP? were you going to do home made ejection charges or also pursue a pyrotechnic hobby? I see if you live in Big Sky country you'd probably be able to do things like that without being bothered from outsiders. Kurt

Thanks for looking out Edward. I'm aware of the dangers and barium and comfortable don't go in the same sentence for me, there's nothing comfy about it, but I do take very serious precautions and if I can't get a nice green after milling it I'm giving up on barium for good. Anyone want a few pounds if I fail?

Steve, BP? were you going to do home made ejection charges or also pursue a pyrotechnic hobby? I see if you live in Big Sky country you'd probably be able to do things like that without being bothered from outsiders. Kurt

Homemade ejection charges; I haven't done fireworks for decades. I just have YouTube inspired manic behavior. [emoji851]

Steve Shannon

FYI, fireworkscookbook sells nicely milled barium on eBay for $12/lb with free shipping. I've used it and it works great, better than milling my own. They do not advertise it as milled though. Unlike Firefox (I think) you do not need an ATFE license to purchase it either.

Homemade ejection charges; I haven't done fireworks for decades. I just have YouTube inspired manic behavior. [emoji851]

Steve Shannon

Yeah, I know the feeling. I did my own ematches from absolute scratch as the available blanks weren't reliable. I got 100% reliability in ground tests and around the time I mastered it, there were some "easily" obtainable options out there so I gave up.
Reassuring I know how to do but not worth my time anymore. I do have a small metal shear that does clean cuts on double sided PC boards. Kurt

FYI, fireworkscookbook sells nicely milled barium on eBay for $12/lb with free shipping. I've used it and it works great, better than milling my own. They do not advertise it as milled though. Unlike Firefox (I think) you do not need an ATFE license to purchase it either.

Again, be careful with BaNO3 as it's rather toxic. A well known motor maker was poisoned by barium and I'm told wasn't very fun. Kurt

Back