Bag o' Parts: Contest Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current list:
Renuzit air freshener
foam core board
Sobe bottle
undies
ice cream cone protector
umbrella or jar lid.. (did we decide to that umbrella was the answer to this one?)
plunger
pringles can
Ping Pong Ball

Does the part have to be a structural aspect of the rocket?

Matt

Just to show all the "Spacemodeling adventurers" out there... doing this build from all "non rocket" materials (and working at least a piece of something from all listed parts) I'll post again when all sub assemblies are ready...but I cant see how any of the "ahem" Techniques? I use will benefit anyone....bag o parts coupler 1.jpg bag o parts coupler 2.jpg bag o parts 2.jpg bag o parts 3.jpg

Would such mundane things as Duct Tape, Dental Floss, or Cardboard Candy Bar Covers for Godiva Chocolates be acceptable? These are all routine things in my rocket builds.

Yes. The deadlines for completion will be 15 man and that included a flight.

Looking at the keyboard, I'm going to surmise the completion date is actually Jan 15th, 2014 and not 30 kidneys.....

On the Sobe bottle, can that be any bottle or does it have to be that brand?

For that matter, how specific do we have to be? For example, do we have to use a pringles can, or will a similar can work (like a quaker oatmeal container?)

Thanks,
Matt

7 items is good. I will add a wildcard: a dowel - size you pick. You still have to use 7 and one must be a dowel or dowels.

Any objections?

7 items is good. I will add a wildcard: a dowel - size you pick. You still have to use 7 and one must be a dowel or dowels.

Any objections?

okie dokie... I have been busy lately so am running behind. Minimum of 7 items from the list. You must use your item and a dowel, meaning you only have to use 5 other things. got it... at least I hope I have that correct.

BlackBrandt--
Since I was the one who offered/suggested the umbrella, I'll offer this ruling for you. You may use as much or as little of my item as will work for your design. The only thing I ask is that you retain enough so that IF ASKED, you could point (figuratively) to the part and identify it for a spectator.... (ex: "that's from an umbrella" or "I used a two inch circle from this Plastic JIF lid..."

And as for the Pringles Can/Oatmeal tube question, well it wasn't really my object, but I'll give you permission to make that alteration or substitution.

After all, the purpose is not to give you a list of impossible items to include, but to give you a list of items that you can succeed in using with your design. Therefore, if it will allow you to complete your design, I vote the substitution is acceptable. (I'm thinking specifically that the volume of a pringles can may NOT work for you, whereas an Oatmeal container might have the proper size that you might need.)

That is correct. You do not need to use 100% of each item.

Current list:
Renuzit air freshener
foam core board
Sobe bottle
undies
ice cream cone protector
umbrella or jar lid.. (did we decide to that umbrella was the answer to this one?)
plunger
pringles can
Ping Pong Ball
Dowel.

cwbullet--
I think the plunger was not a serious nomination.
MY intent on the umbrella/JIF jar lid was to offer an alternative for those who DID NOT HAVE a broken umbrella around the house. I thought the basic tenant was that they had to be common elements found around YOUR house...so if they didn't HAVE an umbella that they could scavenge (or didn't want to go to the Goodwill store to pick one out) that they might use a JIF Jar lid in place of that one element. (Of course, if they wanted to skip the broken Umbrella completely, that was also their option.)

I also attached a Pringle can photo for illustration. It was someone else's nomination, I think.

I am ok with removing the plunger. Do we have 2 more votes? People keep adding it to the list.

A humorous as the development of the "Plunge-O-Sol" recovery system might turn out to be...I will not mind leaving it out *unless someone is well far along on a plunger based build

is this open to get into? I read the posts but didn't see when it was to start or finish. I'm sure I missed that info somehow.

I am ok with an additional contestant. I have not seen a build thread yet. Post an item to the list. Anybody disagree.

I don't care if someone adds as long as I have a final part list by Thanksgiving so I can work on building something...

Ok,

Lets lock this up. No more entries. You still have to use 7.

Renuzit air freshener
foam core board
Sobe bottle or any other bottle (this will allow some variation including the nip bottle)
undies
ice cream cone protector
plunger (wild card use it or not)
pringles can
Ping Pong Ball
Dowel.
Cardboard cand wrapper.

Thank you on the nip bottle. As a minor, you can tell how happy my parents would be on some alcohol bottle in one of my rockets...
:)

Hmmmm it turns out the 15th of January may be a challenge after all. Rocket is mostly done; however, parents just changed our family get together date and that conflicts with the rocket club launch. The next launch is January 18th. I may make it down to another club this weekend; however, both daughter and I are fighting colds and the long drive and cold weather with a cold doesn't sound that fun.

Back