Baffle design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
I'm working on my Fat Boy, and I want to use it to do my first baffle. Of the three types I know about (capped extension to MMT with slits on side, offset drill holes, offset half disc), only the last two are applicable to the Fat Boy. I'm leaning towards the half-disc design (I'm worried about drilling through balsa), and I was wondering if I am off base.

I also plan to use the first method on my Stormcaster, but I am unsure about the size and shape of the holes on the side of the MMT. Any personal advise or source material I should read would be appreciated.

I'm fond of the offset holes...but it's really just a personal preference...
I'm sure others will fill in the blanks...!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS...!!!

I'm currently working on another Fat Boy. My plan is to extend the motor mount into the nose cone. Cut the base off of the cone, and replace it with a centering ring. All of the ejection gasses will go into the cone, the chute and shock cord will be safely stuffed in the space between the body tube and mmt.

Originally posted by astrowolf67
All of the ejection gasses will go into the cone

Cool idea!

But - any concern about the cone melting? If it works, I might give it a try. Please keep us updated!

Stephen

One of the HARA members did this on a Big Daddy, which is where I got the idea. I've consulted with him, and he said there were no problems melting the cone. I'm not building stock, so there will be some nose weight in the tip. I figure the epoxy/ BB mix will protect the cone from the direct heat. If I do notice that there is a potential prolem, I can always put a plug in that fits into the motor mount (like the Fliskits ACME Spitfire). This Fat Boy is going to be an experimental project for me. First glassing job, first deployment system of this type, ect. After all, what better rocket to experiment with than a 10 dollar Wal Mart kit? :)

put a mass of wadding on the cone so it wont get flamed up... as for heat... umm... im clueless...

Well, I finally got a chance to fly my Fat Boy. I decided to build a baffle consisting of two half-discs of 1/8 balsa and a coupler built up out of card stock. While this really shortened the amount of space for the chute, I had no problems fitting it all in. I only used one sheet of TP, and not so much as a black mark on any part of the recovery system. Two great flights on C6-3s.

Back