Baffle Concept

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Weldo, Mar 23, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2020 at 12:30 AM #31

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

lakeroadster

Lone Wolf... No Club TRF Supporter

Stashing chutes.... kind of like "Where's Waldo"? Waldo is mylar in this case o_O

001.JPG

If you use a swivel... and tie loops at the end of each chute chord... you can remove the swivel and then lay the chute flat. That's the best utilization of space and keeps the chute launch ready.

2. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:19 AM #32

BABAR

BABAR

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Lifetime Supporter TRF Supporter

I don’t have space or inclination to store my plastic or Mylar chutes flat (agreed best option regarding usability, but not really practical for me.

do this with my Mylar chutes, but should work with plastic as well,

I scrunch it up and wrap the shock cord around it tightly until it is a a multi wrinkled wad and stud it in a bag.

When I use it, I unwrap it, open it, sometime remember to powder it, and then fold it with the folds being in a different direction than my last use. I cut may own flat chutes (Stine uses the term Para-Sheet [careful how you say that in mixed company!]). Since I learned to cut snowflakes in kindergarten, this started with a square, folded in half, half again, and half again, with a single cut, so my chutes are all octagons. FWIW, 8 shroud lines on parasheet gives you an incremental gain in efficiency. I just do it because I find it easier to get 8 even sides using the above than 6, and since shroud lines do sometime break, having 2 extra can come in handy.

Anyway, nothing wrong with wrinkling it up in storage (in fact, for Mylar the more wrinkles the better, Mylar tends to be a bit stiff to start with.). When you need it, make sure you get it open and flat and all shroud lines loose. Then Just make sure you fold it differently for each flight (like, for 8 attachment sites labeled A thru G, I might start with folding A to D first. Next time I use the chute, I can see the main Crease is A to D, so I will go with B to E.)

Also, for low power I recommend snap swivels so lines don’t twist.

3. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:26 AM #33

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

Cool! I'm gonna have to go around and unfold all my chutes! I look forward to having more success in the future. All the kits I've built came with plastic chutes and I didn't want to have to make new mylar ones for every model.

Now I'm wondering If I can use the same chute for several models by just undoing the snap swivel and attaching to the next model.

Oh and @BABAR, the folding thing is a great idea! Last time I made an octagon chute I spent like an hour with math and straight edges and markers! Nice tip!

4. Mar 27, 2020 at 12:39 AM #34

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Hunkered down TRF Supporter

Absolutely you can. Just keep in mind that accidents happen and rockets get lost. Make sure you show up to a launch with enough parachutes. :)

5. Mar 27, 2020 at 2:08 AM #35

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

That's a good point. I have to stop assuming I'll get it back everytime!

6. Mar 27, 2020 at 1:50 PM #36

ebruce1361

ebruce1361

ebruce1361

The man with the plan. And some duct tape.

Swapping parachutes via swivel snap is great also if you plan on flying a particular rocket more than once, and on one of the flights the parachute is damaged/melted/whatever. I've had a rocket come down with a couple of shroud lines melted through, but still survived the landing. I just unhook the damaged chute, clip on the fresh one, and I'm ready to fly again.

7. Mar 27, 2020 at 4:28 PM #37

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

Here's a question about snap swivels. I have a bunch of old fishing stuff laying around that I don't use anymore and I have a handful of swivels. They're the old stamped brass variety, not the newer ball bearing ones. But they don't have snaps on them.

upload_2020-3-27_12-27-40.png

What can be done to add snaps to them? Maybe safety pins? Some creative bending of a paper clip?

8. Mar 27, 2020 at 4:36 PM #38

ebruce1361

ebruce1361

ebruce1361

The man with the plan. And some duct tape.

For low power A to C motor rockets, a safety pin might work, but I'd suggest going for split rings (key rings). A better option still would be to go to a craft store and get some heavy-duty jewelry clasps and rings that you would have to bend open and re-close with pliers. I like to use S-hooks for my nylon parachutes. Of course, a set of swivel snaps in the fishing section of Walmart is only a couple of dollars, but I understand not wanting to buy supplies if you already have something similar already handy.

9. Mar 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM #39

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

I'd just buy some coast-lock snap swivels. They're cheap and reliable and small and light. Not a fan of adding extra pieces of stuff to my shock cord assembly if I can help it.

BTW I'm still annoyed that this thread was not titled "Baffling Concept". :)

ebruce1361 likes this.
  10. Mar 27, 2020 at 6:22 PM #40

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

Haha thanks again guys! Mostly I'm trying to keep busy during the quarantine. I have some 0.030" stainless MIG welding wire so I'm gonna see if I can bend up a coast lock. Fingers crossed.

11. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:10 PM #41

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

Well here's a prime example of what happens when you have too much time on your hands...

You spend over an hour making tiny parts that you could easily purchase for pennies from almost any store in the country.

The three on the left are made from 0.030" stainless MIG wire. The two on the right are made from an old DIY fishing spinner kit. The idea is that you'd take a swivel wire like on the far right there and add some beads, spoons and a treble hook at the end to make your own lures. The wire is brass.

EM520595.JPG

Close up of the stainless ones. The left was the first one I did and the right is the last.

EM520596.JPG

They came out well. Ultimate strength is quite strong. They don't spring very well though since the wire is not a hardened spring type steel.

These are the brass wire ones from the spinner kit. They seem strong enough but are even less springy than the stainless ones.

EM520597.JPG

This was an exercise in patience I'll tell ya! All I used were two pairs of small needle nose pliers and some side cutters.

ebruce1361 likes this.
  12. Mar 27, 2020 at 8:28 PM #42

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Nice bending work!

13. Mar 27, 2020 at 10:14 PM #43

Weldo

Weldo

Weldo

Washing Hands

Haha thanks! I don’t think I’ll ever do that again! Killed some time at least.