BaddAzz Rocketry "Defender MkII"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop Dead Gorgeous!!! :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

She is A BaddAzz Rocket!:cheers::clap:
You are a BaddAzz Brother!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Blackjack is da man! He would fly in a twister. "If you're afraid to lose your rocket go buy a train set" Dude you made me laugh so much today. Eric from BaddAzz is BaddAzz . He's funny as all get out. Thanks for a great day today. You really know how to make a FNG feel at home. Ken from Performance Hobbies , thank you for renting a truck and bringing all your wares to a handful of frozen, wind blown rocketeers. Clearly you care about others. To all the others who setup the launch field and were also super kind, thank you. And to all the other folks I talked to in the RV and on the field , thanks for a great day. All of you are amazing folks. I'm hooked.

Blackjack is da man! He would fly in a twister. "If you're afraid to lose your rocket go buy a train set" Dude you made me laugh so much today. Eric from BaddAzz is BaddAzz . He's funny as all get out. Thanks for a great day today. You really know how to make a FNG feel at home. Ken from Performance Hobbies , thank you for renting a truck and bringing all your wares to a handful of frozen, wind blown rocketeers. Clearly you care about others. To all the others who setup the launch field and were also super kind, thank you. And to all the other folks I talked to in the RV and on the field , thanks for a great day. All of you are amazing folks. I'm hooked.

Feeling Mutual Bro! Great finely put a face to the name!:handshake:

Yo Egg,

I just getting back from a Launch and all. I hope to get caught up soon, It looks like March.
I'm waiting on Light Bars for the White Wizzard, I've got three new rockets going up this month. I have some fin guides to cut, Motors to make, Nose cones to make, molds to make, Parts to anodize and Research Rockets to design build for a High End Flight Computer Company, Fins to cut and I still have to run the plant.

Come to think of it March ain't looking good.:fly::fly::fly:

But you keep right on checking, I don't mind and I thank you for your interest!!
Hang in there Little Brother!

Sounds like a busy month! I guess I will stop asking for a while.:eek:

So Jiffy! What did you launch that bad boy on?
Did you Drag Race Eric?
Did you launch the Ramones rocket for Joey?

Damn I gotta get back to Orangeburg!.
Is Jim Conn still around?
I know "TAP member for life" Tom Binford will usually be there. (Motor Eater baby!):headbang:

Drag race was called off due to high winds.
Jiffy left sat night hurting pretty bad.
Could have done it today but Not with out everyone there.

Tom comes when he can, Tough job hours and all.

Hey everyone ,
Thanks for the kind words. I will be at both launch days from now on. I headed back to Chucktown last night in pretty bad pain, old war injury. Next month I'll be ready to rock. Damn nice people there.

Last week I came home and found a brown paper wrapped bit of BadAzznezz on my porch. I ripped into it post haste knowing it would be a couple of days before I could start on it. Guys if you haven't yet got a chance to see this little bit of sweetnezz, then you are missing out something fierce. The pictures of the build thread just don't do the quality justice. This isn't some willy nilly plastic rocket, it's a well engineered plastic fantastic! I won't bother with a build thread because quite frankly, what's out there from Eric and the others can't be added to. This rocket literally falls together. What I will do is highlight a small change Eric has made to the kit and post a pic of the finished rocket give or take a sticker or two.

I started the build yesterday by gluing the nosecone on. No problems, it went just like the directions. Then I started to put the forward centering ring in and get ready to put the fins on. That's when I ran into trouble. The holes drilled for the forward ring looked as if it would get in the way of the fins. So I emailed Eric about the "issue" without checking it out further.

photo-M.jpg

He replied quickly to inform me that the holes were moved forward to make it easier to install the wedges in the forward fin slots and fitment wouldn't be a problem. Turns out he was right, no issues at all. The second pic shows the screw holding the centering ring in and the fins installed with their wedges. Note, the screws I used are not the ones included with the kit. Those are over long so I can back them out a bit to paint the rocket then install the kit hardware after it all painted.

DSC0001-M.jpg

DSC0003-M.jpg

Thanks Eric for making it easier on my fat fingers! Getting the wedges in was an easy thing to do. I was worried about it but they weren't bad at all. The fit nice and snug and really do self align the fins. As I type this up, the plastic epoxy is curing. I did notice a small difference in the epoxy from what Eric shows on his instructions. My epoxy is made by Loctite and says it is for plastics but it isn't clear. It is amber. Hopefully it is the same stuff just a different color. One thing for sure, it smells like an unholy mess. Now that CTI is expanding their 24mm line, this thing will soon be my workhorse for our monthly launches!

My Defender is done and ready to fly next weekend. Now all I gotta do is get me a sticker for it one day and it will be all pretty.

DSC0003-M.jpg

Hobby town . They are used to hold RC planes but are great for rockets.

I flew the Defender for it's first time today on a CTI E75 Vmax with an 8 second delay. The first went so well I did it again with the same results. The little guy flew off the pad like a stabbed rat and went up guessing to around 1700'. It flew straight and true without a hitch, it's a freaking arrow. The coolest thing about flying it today was I didn't have to worry at all. Our field wasn't in ideal conditions today. The grass was high, shoulder high in some spots and due to some recent rains and poor drainage it contained it's fair share of large bodies of water and swampy muck. As much as I love my Loc rockets, paper is a poor contender in a fight with water. On my second flight the Defender came down in some tall cat tails at the end of the road. I had to wade through water knee deep to get it and luckily found the chute setting on top of waste high weeds surrounded by stuff taller than my head. Not ideal at all. The rocket was in about 3" of water at the base of the weeds, would have ruined a paper rocket but the Defender just laughed it off. If it wasn't for the chute staying on top of the crap I would have never found it. I tugged on the shock cord and pulled it straight up like a fish on a hand line. The rocket is pretty much directly under the chute....crazy!

IMG0053-M.jpg

IMG0055-M.jpg

Wow! That's some serious Cabbage!!! I'm first to say it when it come to rockets, You know my choice if offered paper or plastic!!!
I wish I could get to more fields to show BaddAzz Rockets to the People. It's hard to see the beauty of what I offer without holding it in your hands.
Fly'em High, Fly'em often and remember to Smile.

Eric

He is right, blue does look great on the Defender! I need to fly mine again!

Ah, all things good are worth waiting for. Anyway most of us around here have more than few rockets in our build queue.

Hey Jiffy,

If your coming to the next launch at O'burg you'll get to see it.

Eric & I are doing a F-240 V-max drag race.

Care to join in?

Looking forward to meeting ya.

CJ... one of the usual suspects.

Cj Bring yours to LDRS.. I have room to stuff mine in my suitcase.. It has One fair flight (srtipped the chute, but still no damage) on an F240.. a drag race sounds like fun!

Back