BaddAzz - Mini-Missile Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

hball55

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
1,321
Reaction score
3
here are my four Baddazz Mini-Missiles . . . wish there were more :sad:


Army_Hawk.jpgAGM-78.jpgSAAB_RB-05A.jpgNike_Smoke.jpg
 

fyrwrxz

latest photo
Joined
Jun 6, 2011
Messages
6,480
Reaction score
29
I'm just happy I 'rescued' a Hawk like yours before Eric retired. It's a little gem of machining! What are you gonna fly yours on? I've had minimal experience with 24mm for the past decade-I need to catch up!
 

hball55

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
1,321
Reaction score
3
So far, I have only flown the Nike Smoke on a D21. All in all, I will stick with E and F motors, unless I feel lucky and then maybe a G motor in the Hawk as it's the heaviest of the bunch.
 

mpitfield

Moderator
Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
4,794
Reaction score
401
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Finally got around to painting my BadAzz mini-missile HAWK. I used the Krylon khaki camo, first time using Krylon and I found it easy and forgiving to work with. I am still considering painting the nosecone either the camo black or olive, or just leave as it is...thoughts, opinions?



 
Last edited:

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
24,398
Reaction score
2,704
Location
Glennville, GA
I miss those kits. Great job on the hawk.
 

mpitfield

Moderator
Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
4,794
Reaction score
401
Location
Toronto, Ontario
I miss those kits. Great job on the hawk.
Thanks Chuck, One thing I think I did by mistake was mix-up the nosecones. I grabbed all 4 of the mini-missiles as I also think they are great kits and wish Eric would resurrect them. I assembled the first three as well as the 4th one's nosecone and have literally had them sitting, primed but not painted for around 8 months. I think I used the nosecone of the STD ARM AGM78 and used it on the Hawk. They are both made from what looks like Delrin but one has quite a bit of lead shot for nose-weight, the other does not. I have come to this conclusion from the sim results, my CG is just below the fins where as the CG in the sim looks like it should be much further forward.

Does anyone have either the Hawk or STD ARM AGM78 and can confirm the nosecone setup?
 

mpitfield

Moderator
Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
4,794
Reaction score
401
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Received my Stickershock decals from Mark. As usual excellent quality and a quick turn around.

This allowed me to complete my SAAB. Again I went with a camo theme and kind of made it up.



 
Last edited:

mpitfield

Moderator
Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
4,794
Reaction score
401
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Finally finished my BaddAzz Mini Nike Smoke. Mark (Stickershock) had to make me the UNITED STATES decal twice as I goofed on applying the first one. He also included 3 smoke generators for the nosecone, can't wait to launch her.



 
Last edited:

mpitfield

Moderator
Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
4,794
Reaction score
401
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Finally got around to painting my BadAzz mini-missile Hawk. I used the Krylon khaki camo, first time using Krylon and I found it easy and forgiving to work with. I am still considering painting the nosecone either the camo black or olive, or just leave as it is...thoughts, opinions?



I launched this rocket on the Sunday of NYPOWER using a 24mm 1 grain CTI E75 Vmax. Great boost, super stable up part and it looked great. Sim had it at 400' and it looked like I got most of that. Unfortunately that motor has a 17 second delay and I could only drill 9 seconds off, and my sim had just under 6 seconds as the recommended delay. The sim was bang on as it arced over around the 6 second mark and came in hot for a delayed deployment 2 seconds later.

Unfortunately the ejection event caused the nosecone and body to separate with the nosecone coming down attached to the chute and the rocket body tumbling down to the ground. It was interesting to see how quickly the rocket became unstable without the nose-weight. However all is well that ends well and fortunately there was no damage at all besides the snapped harness. In looking at the harness it snapped right where it is connected to the CR, which has some sharp edges.

Bottom line this little rocket was a lot of fun and I will put some thought in to how to mitigate this in the future, longer harness possibly, and sticking with delays that are suitable for the rocket. I wish I could have drilled 2 more seconds off that motor as it was a fun LP flight. One difference between the pictures above is that I ended up changing the nosecone to a dark matte brown.

I hope to launch the Nike and SAAB...I wish Eric was still making these!
 
Last edited:
Top