Quantcast

Badass Nose Bay System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Here is a new nose bay system out there for you all. Buy the sleeve for the coupler of your cone and the sled for your electronics. The sled will work with all couplers of all sizes and vice versa. The best thing about this? No 3D printed bulkheads or stress points on any 3D printed part. That means you won't have to keep buying replacements. :)

7cc480_39d6e2469974425598a01cb96b2d42d4_mv2.png

AeroTech

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I love this design and I want to use it for my Hamster Dance entry next year.

Buckeye

Reaction score
I like this approach - the nose cone is the payload door. If you prefer sleds and screws, this is the system for you. However, I achieve the same thing with bubble wrap and pipe insulation to secure my GPS in the nose. I can fit the T3 in 38mm, whereas this system cannot. The sled and sleeve eat up too much real estate.

Aside: There used to be another vendor around these parts called BaddAzz. Any relation?

FredA

Reaction score
We use bubble wrap.
A few experiments (crude, non-scientific) led us to believe that GPS units do not like a hard mount.
They APPEAR to hold lock a bit longer if not subjected to direct coupling to the motor's vibrations.

This is our thinking on why we continue with just bubble wrap - plus it makes it super easy to move tracking from rocket to rocket.
YMMV

Buckeye

Reaction score
We use bubble wrap.
A few experiments (crude, non-scientific) led us to believe that GPS units do not like a hard mount.
They APPEAR to hold lock a bit longer if not subjected to direct coupling to the motor's vibrations.

This is our thinking on why we continue with just bubble wrap - plus it makes it super easy to move tracking from rocket to rocket.
YMMV
I agree on the hard mounting of GPS. When mounted on a sled, landing shock can be rough on the electronics. I had the XBee radio transmitter thingy pop loose from its socket once or twice.

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Do you have the same concerns with altimeters hard mounted in a traditional DD setup and having things pop off? I would assume they experience the same, if not more, stress than a nose bay.

FredA

Reaction score
We typically use hard mounts for altimeters.
But GPS trackers get the bubble-wrap treatment.

Buckeye

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Do you have the same concerns with altimeters hard mounted in a traditional DD setup and having things pop off? I would assume they experience the same, if not more, stress than a nose bay.
No, because altimeter components are are pretty rock solid. The 20 or so pins on Xbee module can rock causing some pins lose contact. The rubber ducky antenna, if used, is a heavy moment acting on it, too. I take extra precautions to secure the Xbee on the GPS unit, but overall I still feel better with bubble wrap. Portability, too. GPS units are not yet inexpensive enough, like altimeters, where I can mount one in each rocket and leave it there.

xbee.PNG

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score
No, because altimeter components are are pretty rock solid. The 20 or so pins on Xbee module can rock causing some pins lose contact. The rubber ducky antenna, if used, is a heavy moment acting on it, too. I take extra precautions to secure the Xbee on the GPS unit, but overall I still feel better with bubble wrap. Portability, too. GPS units are not yet inexpensive enough, like altimeters, where I can mount one in each rocket and leave it there.

View attachment 432997
I see. Very interesting. I have gone Mach 2 with this setup with no issues, but have not tested the XBee with it. Thanks for this info and sharing your experience!