Bad News in Jacksonville

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
While I've suspected it for a while, I just confirmed today that the big, beautiful, tree- and light-free field in front of Atlantic Coast High is no longer open to the public during after-school hours. This is the only place I've been able to find in Duval and St. Johns Counties suitable for C11 and D launches. Totally bummed out.

About an hour and change. Great club, but right now I work Saturdays.

Bummer. The hardest part about this hobby is finding and keeping a field. Why anyone would let strangers fly rockets on their property is beyond me, but I'm glad they do.

True. This field was too good to be true - all of the athletic fields sit behind the school, so I have no idea what they used it for. I never saw any teams practicing, just a few "civilians" working out once in a while. I usually had the place to myself.

Is it possible to speak to someone with the school/board and get permission to continue to launch there?

This might be possible. And suggest the formation of a club. I just wonder it the land is about to be developed into something.

Land is something this country is running out of.
Since the baby boomers, most flat land has been turned into suburbs and new towns.
Even the freaking desert is getting heavily populated, and way to expensive for desert if you ask me.
Unless some rich guys that are rocket geeks buys and sets up launching areas it won't be long before rocket sizes will shrink.
I may not have a club near me, but I've had a place to launch since 1970, and will have until I die. (If we don't move)

Every time I hear/see someone say this I have to chuckle. It's so far from reality it's a joke. Two weeks ago I traveled by car from the Colorado Front Range to central Oklahoma. They may not be making any more land, but there's still plenty of it unoccupied.

Land is something this country is running out of.
Since the baby boomers, most flat land has been turned into suburbs and new towns.
Even the freaking desert is getting heavily populated, and way to expensive for desert if you ask me.
Unless some rich guys that are rocket geeks buys and sets up launching areas it won't be long before rocket sizes will shrink.
I may not have a club near me, but I've had a place to launch since 1970, and will have until I die. (If we don't move)

Every time I hear/see someone say this I have to chuckle. It's so far from reality it's a joke. Two weeks ago I traveled by car from the Colorado Front Range to central Oklahoma. They may not be making any more land, but there's still plenty of it unoccupied.

Landowners in fear of a irresponsible and litigious society are most of the reason good fields are being lost.

Back