Bad habits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin Batten

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are some of ya'lls bad habits when it comes to building rockets? My worst has to be not installing rail buttons or guides before installing the motor mount or fin can.

Not flying what I build.
I have a PML AMRAAM 4 that I gained my Level 1 on, a Snarky 2/3 complete, 38mm Mega der Red Max, complete less the recovery items, my Space Shot scale comp, a Tiny Pterodactyl about 3/4 comp, and a few mid power complete.
The AMRAAM is the only one to see flight time.

Last edited:
1. Modifying kits with beefed up parts so that they are overweight, and therefore don't fly well (or at all) on the manufacturer's recommended motors.
2. Building rockets that are too large for local launch sites, so I end up in no hurry to fly them.
3. Spending lots of time and effort on finishing a rocket so that I'm nervous to fly them for fear of losing them.

Finishing fiberglass. I know one or two more fill and sanding rounds will get me to a top notch finish...but I really don't feel like it and those colors are just want to get used.

Out of curiosity, what are some of ya'lls bad habits when it comes to building rockets? My worst has to be not installing rail buttons or guides before installing the motor mount or fin can.

I’ve fallen into that pit, but there ARE workarounds . . . maybe not as clean as you would want, but surface mount rail guides aren’t that bad. I’ve also just used a screw (sheet metal?) like what Madcow puts in their kits to mount rail buttons. the lower button is always in between the CRs, and the forward button that is mounted in the area of the recovery gear, I just cut the screw short and place a dab of epoxy over any part of the screw that extends into the void. Usually the BT is thick enough that the screw won’t go all the way through.

With LP, forgetting to attach a piece of kevlar line to the motor mount before gluing it in. Leaves the ancient teabag as a fallback. In general, working on autopilot on easy stuff.

Cheers / Robert

My single worse habit is starting one project before finishing the last. It's not uncommon to have 3 or 4 rockets on the bench all in various stages of completion. Things get more difficult this time of year as it's harder to find days to prime and paint. In a perfect world, I'd like to finish one at least to primer, clean the bench then start of the next.

Getting mad at, and trying to correct dumb & ignorant people over their less-than-sound advice..

(Not here [generally], but many on FB!)

Not wearing gloves when glueing, painting, staining, etc..

AND, not changing out of 'nice clothes' when gluing / painting / staining, etc.. (the nicer / more favoured the outfit, the more likely to get a glue / paint / crud drop on it!!)

Making a cuppa-tea, and forgetting about it. Then remembering about 20 minutes - a day later.. Then re-boiling the water, and making a 2nd cup, only to then forget that one.. Then re-boiling...

Last edited:
Painting them. They just get scratched up upon landing...

I don't worry much about scratches, because at some point, a marketing genius convinced me I actually preferred "battle damaged". M'eh.

Battle Damaged X-Wing Fighter Vehicle 07.JPG

Last edited:
Going from hobby to hobby to hobby. Life goes on.
I hear you! My money goes to Shooting (AMMO 😲), Rockets, fireworks ("backyard" shows) Photography!
A year ago, TIME was the main limiting factor! Today its the ammo that vacuums the money out of my wallet!

Back