Bad Day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've been prepping for 2017 to be a big build year. Most of the builds are Estes scale kits, but 3 of them are 54mm powered 4" kits.

The last thing I worked on yesterday was the Estes Bull Pup 12D. Got home from work, checked the motor mount and tail cone fit, and set the rocket down.

While I was making some last minute posts and checking emails before sitting down to build, my wife decides to knock it over. Now one fin and one canard are no longer part of this rocket.

Tonight was supposed to be fin fillets, motor tube, and tail cone. Looks like that is no longer going to happen.

You know- technically it is a missile.. it's supposed to be in pieces when it's "done" :)

While I was making some last minute posts and checking emails before sitting down to build, my wife decides to knock it over. Now one fin and one canard are no longer part of this rocket.

Is she part cat?

Is she part cat?

Odd you should ask that. Her nickname is Cat. Her niece calls her aunt Cat.

No matter how you look at it, I'm pissed. I put an amazing amount of work into the fins. I probably have 8-10 hours just in the fins. If o had done this to something of hers, I'd still be paying for it in 2018.

Odd you should ask that. Her nickname is Cat. Her niece calls her aunt Cat.

No matter how you look at it, I'm pissed. I put an amazing amount of work into the fins. I probably have 8-10 hours just in the fins. If o had done this to something of hers, I'd still be paying for it in 2018.

Looks like she gave you the perfect excise to buy some goodies . Kits , supplies , construction racks , extra materials.......

Eric

Number #1 cause of damage to my rockets (by a wide margin), table dives. Pictures of a surviving fin ? I'd like to see what an 8-10 hour job on Estes Bull Pup fins looks like.

Last edited:
Number #1 cause of damage to my rockets (by a wide margin), table dives. Pictures of a surviving fin ? I'd like to see what an 8-10 hour job on Estes Bull Pup fins looks like.

That time line includes surface sanding, edge sanding, papering, edge work, CAing the edges and reworking, and attachment of all 8 fins. Of course this is unpainted. I did the same work on my Little John. And it's in flat OD green. Want a pic of it?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487051683.621029.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487051700.884524.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487051717.379190.jpg

I wish the lighting was better. These had about 3-4 hours working the fins and attaching. Now I'm sure there are others that can do this same work much faster, but this is a long OOP kit that I was lucky to get. And it was my first time papering fins, so I took extra care not to screw up. It's not like I can just go grab another kit on this one.

Last edited:
Number #1 cause of damage to my rockets (by a wide margin), leaving them in precarious places over and over again.

That's how my brain translated "table dives". Sorry.

Gotta learn to put them away better. And never leave a rocket standing upright unless you are displaying it (preferably on a stand) or in some protected location. Mine are almost all stored inside of a container, those which are not are usually laid on their sides.

Not trying to pick on you. :)

Maybe I should take "pride" that my #1 cause of damage is flight related? :)

5d0jqZg.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 312023
View attachment 312024
View attachment 312025

I wish the lighting was better. These had about 3-4 hours working the fins and attaching. Now I'm sure there are others that can do this same work much faster, but this is a long OOP kit that I was lucky to get. And it was my first time papering fins, so I took extra care not to screw up. It's not like I can just go grab another kit on this one.

Whoops, my bad. I thought maybe you put a fancy double diamond airfoil on the Bullpup. Those Little John fins look great. Construction mishaps suck no matter who's to blame. It's easy for the peanut gallery to joke but at the end of the day you gotta pick up the pieces and carry on.

That's how my brain translated "table dives". Sorry.

Gotta learn to put them away better. And never leave a rocket standing upright unless you are displaying it (preferably on a stand) or in some protected location. Mine are almost all stored inside of a container, those which are not are usually laid on their sides.

Not trying to pick on you. :)

Maybe I should take "pride" that my #1 cause of damage is flight related? :)

5d0jqZg.jpg

[Why I orta ... :wink: ] George you're psychic ! I've been trying to perfect the precariously positioned drying piece in a Rube Goldberg temporary jig construction since I was 9 years old. I may never learn ! :bang:

Construction mishaps suck no matter who's to blame. It's easy for the peanut gallery to joke but at the end of the day you gotta pick up the pieces and carry on.
True. And it will suck only as long as you want it to suck. I can stay mad or I can be glad.And in the end,its a just material thing. And yes..those fins look great .too bad ........

View attachment 312023
View attachment 312024
View attachment 312025

OK... So what technique did you use for the papering? Looks like it worked well!

fm

I hate rebuilding probably more than I love building. Last weekend I took my new Frenzy out, quite the looker, beautiful fillets, and trusted the stock 18" parachute when I should have known better. Popped a lower fin pretty good. I prided myself on how mellow I was about the whole thing, especially after I was able to finally work the fin free in my shop so I could begin the cleanup and repair process. Sometime you just gotta say heck with it and press on.

OK... So what technique did you use for the papering? Looks like it worked well!

fm

The fins are flat sanded in the framework with 320 then 400. I remove them and square the edges even. Then I used Avery self stick shipping labels. I place the fin on one, press it down and trim the edges. After the fins are papered, I stack them under weight for 24 hours. I check them and if they're ready, I then do the edge work. These were rounded leading and trailing edges, per instructions. I then CA all edges except the root, and sand them with 400 then either 600 or 800. Make sure the CA rolls over the paper edge by about 1/16" to prevent delaminating. I have noticed that papered fins take a lot more primer to fully seal.

[Why I orta ... :wink: ] George you're psychic ! I've been trying to perfect the precariously positioned drying piece in a Rube Goldberg temporary jig construction since I was 9 years old. I may never learn ! :bang:

How 'bout this for a drying jig?

Not precariously balanced, but it'll do in your rockets just as well.

IMG_2543.jpg

One problem with that. I don't have CA accelerator. Never use the stuff.

Back