Bad chutes for Jolly Logic Chute Release?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pariah Zero

Gravity’s Plaything
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been “ground testing” my Jolly Logic Chute Release, and I’m pretty sure it’s a bad idea to wrap the chute with the parachute lines and then wrap the JLCR around that. It looks like a tangle just waiting to happen.

... this makes me wonder if there are chute designs that are particularly difficult (or unwise) to use with the JLCR — I may just lack imagination, but I can’t imagine a way to pack an annular chute and use the JLCR.

Am I wrong? Are there chute designs that are best avoided with the JLCR?

Last edited:
I’ve been “ground testing” my Jolly Logic Chute Telease, and I’m pretty sure it’s a bad idea to wrap the chute with the parachute lines and then wrap the JLCR around that. It looks like a tangle just waiting to happen.

Yep.
Also makes it THAT much more likely that the shroud lines will tangle up once the chute is released.

... this makes me wonder if there are chute designs that are particularly difficult (or unwise) to use with the JLCR — I may just lack imagination, but I can’t imagine a way to pack an annular chute and use the JLCR.

Am I wrong? Are there chute designs that are best avoided with the JLCR?

Before you start discarding chute designs, consider changing your chute folding approach.
The video below provides a nice illustration for a low-error-rate chute folding technique:

I got a ringslot chute to work with it (rare to see that kind of parachute) but I have found it doesn’t like chutes more than 5ft in diameter.

Before you start discarding chute designs, consider changing your chute folding approach.
The video below provides a nice illustration for a low-error-rate chute folding technique:
[/QUOTE

X 2......

I've used a JLCR several times and have found that neatly wrapping a chute protector around the chute (even if it isn't needed) seems to go a long way to preventing tangles prior to wrapping the rubber band of the JLCR around it. Anyone else try this?

In my experience....the chute material MUST be soft and "slippery". I found that chutes that have material that is STIFF (like paper) do not do well. Make sure your chutes are soft and supple and you will be good. Also follow the chute folding tutorial on the Jolly Logic website.
Andrew

I found the opposite. The one time I put the release on the outside of the Nomex, it failed. I have taken to placing the release around the base of the chute (where the shroud lines attach), then folding and rolling into the burrito. This allows the chute to act as a streamer until released.
I should also note that I primarily only use the release on larger parachutes. (36" or larger)

I routinely fasten the JLCR around the burrito-wrapped chute and have experienced no failures.

Did my L2 cert flight using a Chute Release, a Fruity Chutes Parchute Sleeve and FC 48" Classic Chute without failure.

This past Saturday I used the JLCR in conjuction with a Bama Chutes Roto-Sail without incident...other than the spectator oohs and ahs over the alternating fluoro pink and black rotating canopy.

Seems the JLCR allows the use of a larger chute deploying at a lower altitude (200-400') for a gentle landing in the Mid Power and small H class range. Larger rockets and bigger motors seem to like a 500' opening.

BTW, I have two JLCR's but have not yet used them in a redundant set up (series NOT parallel).

I highly recommend the Dino Chutes JLCR pouch to protect the device.

My lines are NEVER wrapped around the chute, they are folded neatly up one gore and then down a different one, then folded and JLCR applied, then rolled in the blanket.

I have been useing the JLCR since John released it. The 2 main things which has caused me issues. Make sure it's turned on and you use the right size band. The band needs to be tight around the chute.

I was similarly challenged to get chute release to work without going outside the burrito and it made sense to use stiffer fabric (so rubber band didn’t get entrenched deeply into the roll) and integrate the fire protection. So I made these:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...in-Chute-Release-Parachute-Protection-Blanket

I know they’ll help someone like me so I made quite a few... I’m the supply chain however (for now) so I often struggle to meet the demand, they take me several hours to make well.

See https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/chute-release-parachute-protection-blanket.153687/

Blue skies!

Interesting. I always finish the burrito with the JLCR on the outside of the bundle. This is based on a number failed flight tests using other methods. I build / overbuild tough rockets as we launch in the rough as they say.

DinoChutes sells a small protective carrier/pouch to enclose the JLCR. I bought three them and find them indispensable.

About $10 a whack plus shipping.

I have been useing the JLCR since John released it. The 2 main things which has caused me issues. Make sure it's turned on and you use the right size band. The band needs to be tight around the chute.

My ground testing (thus far) has shown that it is also possible for the band to be too tight... too much tension on the pin binds the mechanism.

Think your right about that.

Once everything is in place, I rotate the pin so that the rubber band pulls it straight out instead of at an angle.

Food for thought.

Think your right about that.

Once everything is in place, I rotate the pin so that the rubber band pulls it straight out instead of at an angle.

Food for thought.

Tight enough, and even pulling it straight out binds.

Mind you, I’m talking about some serious force here... I think few would try it on the ground, and none would try it in flight.

I like the “canoe” from a tidiness aspect. Never have experienced any binding of the pin. Have you contacted John Beans? He stands behind his products and makes things right.

Seriously tho, the Dino Chutes JLCR protector pouch is worth looking into. Perhaps there’s some kind of black powder residue accumulating in the release mechanism?

F194F8C0-4C54-4FA7-99F1-525117DF59EE.jpeg

I like the “canoe” from a tidiness aspect. Never have experienced any binding of the pin. Have you contacted John Beans? He stands behind his products and makes things right.

Seriously tho, the Dino Chutes JLCR protector pouch is worth looking into. Perhaps there’s some kind of black powder residue accumulating in the release mechanism?

It’s been too cold for me to fly since I’ve bought the JLCR (asthma & inversions suck): so there’s not likely to be residue. I already have the Dino Chutes pouch, and I intend to play with the Dino Chutes guide chute this year as well.

A far as contacting John goes: The JLCR is a masterful design, but America’s unobtanium shortage means it has some limitations. It’s just physics.

I wouldn’t hesitate to contact John if I thought it was a legitimate issue. I’m not kidding when I emphasized just how (abusively) tight it was wrapped. I’m very impressed the rubber band didn’t snap.

It’s been too cold for me to fly since I’ve bought the JLCR (asthma & inversions suck): so there’s not likely to be residue. I already have the Dino Chutes pouch, and I intend to play with the Dino Chutes guide chute this year as well.

A far as contacting John goes: The JLCR is a masterful design, but America’s unobtanium shortage means it has some limitations. It’s just physics.

I wouldn’t hesitate to contact John if I thought it was a legitimate issue. I’m not kidding when I emphasized just how (abusively) tight it was wrapped. I’m very impressed the rubber band didn’t snap.
I checked the Jolly Logic website on another matter and briefly looked at their user manual files and spotted this caution against putting too much tension on the release pin.

Looks like John Beans is aware of the limitation.

There is no automatic power shutdown on a Chute Release. My problem this past weekend was I forgot to turn the Chute Release on...D’OH! Hard lesson to learn to learn.

97D5B55C-B4D5-4C2D-B30B-B432BBF83CD1.jpeg

One Issue I discovered while testing on my couch is the pin receptacle has to be in line with the angle of the pulling force. In other words my receptacle hole was angled straight out and the pull on the pin was downward. It did not release the pin. I turned the receptacle hole to be angled in line with the pulling force and it worked perfectly every time.
I hope I'm explaining this to where it is understandable.
Anyone else noticed this issue???

One Issue I discovered while testing on my couch is the pin receptacle has to be in line with the angle of the pulling force. In other words my receptacle hole was angled straight out and the pull on the pin was downward. It did not release the pin. I turned the receptacle hole to be angled in line with the pulling force and it worked perfectly every time.
I hope I'm explaining this to where it is understandable.
Anyone else noticed this issue???
Yes. I routinely adjust the angle as the final step in hooking everything up.

Now if I could only remember to power up the Chute Release before loading the recovery package into the rocket...

I'm going to attach a "Remove Before Flight" tag via a rubber band to the rocket nose cone as a reminder to power up the Chute Release and the altimeter before walking away from the pad.

Back