Bad Boy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
As some of you may have previously seen in this thread, I have a seriously crazy idea...

The idea is to build a Fat Boy with a SEVEN motor cluster! It's insane, yeah, I know, but it'll be SO AWESOME!

Anyways, the modifications I'll be making to this rocket are:
  • 3 wraps of 1.5oz fiberglass
  • Tip-to-Tip fiberglassed 3/32" basswood fins
  • 6oz Nose Weight
  • 1 24mm mount
  • SIX 18mm mounts
  • Rail Buttons

A loaded projected weight will be just under one pound. Now here's the pictures! This first one is of the fiberglass tacked down with CyA and wrapped around the body!

Jason

Here, I'm about halfway done with the glassing. It took more epoxy than I thought it would, about 15mL! :eek:

Jason

Here's the tube completely glassed. It'll cure overnight, then tomorrow I will trim the glass and sand it some, along with getting it ready for MMT installation and fin attachment. I'll likely end up building the MMT and Fins as one assembly, since that will allow me to attach the fins directly to the central 24mm mount and fillet them!

Jason

Ok, someone bring a flashpan. I'll bring the extinguisher! :eek: Yeah, you're a little nutty Jason. Wanna dragrace against my 24mm MMT Fatboy? :p :D

F21 vs. 7 motor C cluster! That'd be fun!

Here's the business end of my Fat Boy. The rocket looks stock but has 125 grams of nose weight. It flys well on 12 A3-4's but goes like the proverbial bat on 12 C20's :D

Jetra - All I can say is this...you're putting more glass on yours than I will be putting on my 38mm one!!!:p lookin good!

RocketJunkie - You are officially my idol...sorry Carl, I idolize you as a builder, but this guy knows how to make a little rocket to freakin fast!

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
Here's the business end of my Fat Boy. The rocket looks stock but has 125 grams of nose weight. It flys well on 12 A3-4's but goes like the proverbial bat on 12 C20's :D

OH MAN!!! You must get a video of that!

hahaha...np Dan...I am not a big cluster junkie ;)

It's looking good so far Jason! What BT is that you are using...LOC?

Carl

RocketJunkie - I think it needs some A10's...or the D40's.

Is it reinforced at all?

Ok...I wanted to answer a couple of questions, and ask a few.

It's looking good so far Jason! What BT is that you are using...LOC?

Nope, the stock Estes tube with the three layers of 1.5oz glass. :cool:

What kind of resin are you using?

Bob Smith brand Finishing epoxy. It's good stuff, I've used it for all my glassing stuff up to this point! It's also good for securing noseweight in a nosecone since it can fill in gaps and voids that normal 15 minute epoxy can't really do.

Ok, now I'd like to ask a question.

Carl, I noticed that on the HPR Tres, when you were doing the fillets, you used a filler of fiberglass, IIRC. I don't have any fiberglass filler, and was wondering what I could add to the epoxy for the fillets to make them stronger? I was thinking talcum powder or something, but wanted to ask the gurus.

Thanks!

Jason

Ok! Time for more pics, and to up the post count!

I build the motor mount, cut fins, and sanded the body tube down with my orbital sander. A very productive day today. I only have pix of the MMT and fins, sorry...but anyways, here's the pix!

This first one is of the MMT out of the BT. Yes, it is rough, but I'll sand it down and make it a little cleaner.

Jason

This next one is of the MMT installed in the main body, and is a vie from the rear. I still have to shim the MMT's with some thin balsa, and fill in all the air gaps...but still!!

DROOOL!

Jason

And the last one for tonight is of the three fins cut out of 3/32" basswood.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
This next one is of the MMT installed in the main body, and is a vie from the rear. I still have to shim the MMT's with some thin balsa, and fill in all the air gaps...but still!!

DROOOL!

Jason

You can tell he's a "Cluster Fiend" by the patented "Homer Droool" ... LOL

Originally posted by jflis
You can tell he's a "Cluster Fiend" by the patented "Homer Droool" ... LOL

Hee hee...I made this little guy a while back. I think it was inspired by a "Carl" AMRAAM thread!
drool.jpg

Nice work Jason! Any ideas what motors are going in it for the first flight? I imagine I'll be there to witness it. I can't wait!

Hey, why stop at 7, when you can squeeze 8 in there?

Back