back up?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nostalgic,

almost like the 300 bps
chirping modems of ages past....
:D

Trust me, we feel your pain.

The hosting company obviously did something during the outage that they're not telling us about.

Actions are underway to resolve this; we just ask that you be patient -- they won't happen overnight, but will happen soon.

-Kevin

Are you sure its not something which was done to the php to reduce the server load? I read this posted by someone else on RP or N3

Trust me, we feel your pain.

The hosting company obviously did something during the outage that they're not telling us about.

Actions are underway to resolve this; we just ask that you be patient -- they won't happen overnight, but will happen soon.

-Kevin

If it is a hosting provider problem, it actually could happen overnight if you had the right host. The company I use has 24/7 support. I haven't tried calling them, but they respond to almost all emails within 3 hours, even in the middle of the night. I have emailed them a few times at 11pm or midnight and checked my email the next day to see that they replied at 2am. The support is based in the US, and while they don't always resolve my issues with the first email, they are easy to work with, and as far as I can tell there is always an actual person on the other end. I won't post the name here because I don't want to give them too much free advertising, but if anyone is interested, I can PM it to you.

Oh, and I only pay around $10/month. I don't know if that plan would be enough for TRF, or if it would need the $50/month VPS plan.

If matt is talking about dreamhost, their customer service is amazing- shared servers though so unless we can have data then Id personally refrain from recomending anything at $10 a month. Obviously this forum has A LOT of page loads/searches maybe even more so with the rocketry forum archive.

Not Dreamhost. $10/month is fine for my websites, again, I don't know what TRF would need. Mine is a shared server, but if you complain that it is too slow, sometimes they will move you to a server with less sites on it. There are 137 sites sharing a server with me right now according to YouGetSignal.com.

TRF has its own IP, so it would seem that it is on a private or virtual private server. The nameserver points to ixwebhosting.com TRFArchive appears to be on GoDaddy, though that could just be the domain name and not the hosting.

Not Dreamhost. $10/month is fine for my websites, again, I don't know what TRF would need. Mine is a shared server, but if you complain that it is too slow, sometimes they will move you to a server with less sites on it. There are 137 sites sharing a server with me right now according to YouGetSignal.com.

Researching the issues and other garbage we had them the other day, it's evident that the host TRF makes one claim in their advertising, but reality is something different. Basically, they oversold the server and are now blaming this site, even though they admit that they've not seen a dramatic growth in traffic or resource utilization from it. Yet we're the problem???

It doesn't take long to find out what's up. In a nutshell, their goal appears to be to drive us elsewhere -- they'd rather host 3000 vanity sites that get 3 visitors a week than one moderately used site.

TRF has its own IP, so it would seem that it is on a private or virtual private server. The nameserver points to ixwebhosting.com TRFArchive appears to be on GoDaddy, though that could just be the domain name and not the hosting.

TRF and TRFA are indeed on different servers; entirely different hosting companies.

-Kevin

All hosting plans are oversold, except maybe the most expensive dedicated server plans (but even then, the network capacity can be oversold). It's how the host handles the overselling that matters. My plan has "unlimited" disk space and data transfer. I've tried to test for limits, but I haven't run into any. I am using 5gb of disk space and had 7gb of data transfer this month between my 2-3 websites. The main users are all the photos I have, and the 1 billion calculated digits of Pi I have for download. They didn't like me using the space to backup my computer, though.

All hosting plans are oversold, except maybe the most expensive dedicated server plans (but even then, the network capacity can be oversold).

Agreed -- most sites out there are "vanity" sites that get just a few hits a month.

It's how the host handles the overselling that matters. My plan has "unlimited" disk space and data transfer.

And there's the key right there. The hosting company TRF is on sells "unlimited". What it means, based on Troy's experience, and stuff I've read online, is that if you do anything beyond vanity type loads, they start shutting you down, telling you that you have to delete files, or cut back on resource utilization, or...

You get told you have to agree to terms, but they don't tell you what the terms are.

-Kevin

Back