Back Up your Data!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly bothers you about hibernate? Is it just a feeling, or do you have a concrete concern?

I almost never reboot my systems unless absolutely necessary; I always use hibernate. I have a lot of apps running all the time and have no interest in needing to start everything back up every morning.
@neil_w Power consumption (which is not much) but more importantly starting with fresh dram. I've seen memory errors accumulate over time and although Win 10 is better that previous versions taking care of memory I guess it is an old habit. So I open a program and the OS allocates it memory. Then I close the program. Sometimes not all the allocated memory becomes available again and over time this accumulates. This depends upon both the OS and the particular program I've discovered.

Interesting. I’ve experienced no leaks in Win10, certainly nothing that would cause me to shut down every day.

Hibernate consumes no power, the machine is fully off.

Interesting. I’ve experienced no leaks in Win10, certainly nothing that would cause me to shut down every day.

Hibernate consumes no power, the machine is fully off.
And you have never had an issue with W10 booting up from hibernate? W95, W7 were notarius from not waking up .And I experience at least once since I brought my W10 machine in Nov 2019. Are you running W10 professional?

And you have never had an issue with W10 booting up from hibernate? W95, W7 were notarius from not waking up .And I experience at least once since I brought my W10 machine in Nov 2019. Are you running W10 professional?
Windows 10 Pro; I have had very occasional problems booting from hibernate. But the time penalty for dealing with those occurrences is miniscule compared to the time I would spend rebooting and restarting all my apps every day.

Windows 10 Pro; I have had very occasional problems booting from hibernate. But the time penalty for dealing with those occurrences is miniscule compared to the time I would spend rebooting and restarting all my apps every day.
Ha W10 Pro, every SW engineer always stated Pro version is more stable.

You can copy the data but you can't copy system files that are being used while the pc is on so its not a true backup.

I agree best way to back up is via specific boot media when windows isn't running.

However, when Acronis came out with a windows application to do the full system backup from within windows, much to my surprise it worked just fine. As an old school codger I still usually use their boot media, but I've restored systems from backups made using their windows software probably a dozen times in the last decade with never a problem. Not sure how they do it; it's like magic to me.

Windows 10, a solid state hard drive and the boot time is under 20 seconds. As for memory "leaks" ive never heard if such a thing, the memory is used as "space" to add and subtract all those 1s and 0s. Memory is either good or bad. If it's bad you will get a blue screen.

How would you test a memory "leak" unless you ran a program before booting into windows..

@neil_w Win 10 is better that previous versions taking care of memory I guess it is an old habit. So I open a program and the OS allocates it memory. Then I close the program. Sometimes not all the allocated memory becomes available again and over time this accumulates. This depends upon both the OS and the particular program I've discovered.

Its not the program taking the memory its the services that the program opens, and starts. Its what makes the program work. You can shut down the program but the services it started are STILL RUNNING.. thats what your seeing.

So, several people suggested that we should have an automatic (software) way to back up our computers, or at least the data that is important to us. I have two nearly identical, external hard drives. One I use as my regular data repository (since I prefer not to keep all MY data on my church owned computer), and the other is an occasionally backed up copy of the first one. But, I'm not good at remembering to do my back ups. Ideally, I would like these two drives to mirror one another.

But to do any of that...

What software do you recommend to schedule regular, automatic, backups?

And yes, although I have looked at cloud services for an additional, offsite layer, I haven't yet pulled the trigger and I should.

What software do you recommend to schedule regular, automatic, backups?
On my Mac I use Carbon Copy Cloner (Super Duper also very popular).

On my work PC I run Bvckup2, which has been fine for me. There are many many others of course, lots of comparison guides (search "best backup software").

Yes but don't you mean a USB docking station or a hard drive enclosure. Drive no longer beats but you still copy the data or files to new drive.

An enclosure could work, but I use a bridge that is multi-function and not really indended for constant use. I set the drive on a table, plug the bridge in and do a bit-copy/image. Afterwards, I bag the drive in an ESD bag and put it somewhere in case something comes up in the future.

Not recommending a specific product, but this is visually similar to what I've used with success: https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZF-00TZ-0...ide-_-9SIAK97B0F7132-_-Product&quicklink=true

Sandy.

You can copy the data but you can't copy system files that are being used while the pc is on so its not a true backup.

My experience matches CPUTommy's: 'Hot' backups aren't necessarily getting everything as files are in use. I have heard of other programs that somehow get around that, but I'm not sure. My backup solution also needs to work with non-Windows/non-common operating systems.

I have used HDClone for years and it works via a bootable USB/DVD. It loads a small proprietary OS (I assume Linux based, but not sure) and then you mount both the source and target drives to do the backup. It can do a bit-copy backup if desired, so it can backup something it doesn't 'understand' as well. Having said that, if the parent OS has some unique file system 'features or limitations' even a bit-copy may not work, which surprised me. I think there is a free for home use version that is slower than the paid version, but otherwise functional. For typical Windows computers, I doubt anything more would be needed and the company seems reputable to me (i.e. no spam etc. in my experience).

Sandy.

Early this week, I turned on my computer and got "No operating system detected."

Heck I like this so much I'm making it my new signature. Your troubles will not have been in vain.

Okay, I went with iDrive for $3.50 for the first year for 5 TB (I am currently not even close to that.)
Goes up to $70 next year if I don't cancel out. I put a reminder on my phone calendar.

Okay, I went with iDrive for $3.50 for the first year for 5 TB (I am currently not even close to that.)
Goes up to $70 next year if I don't cancel out. I put a reminder on my phone calendar.
Good. Do you also have some sort of local backup drive set up?

Also will look into replacing my rotary hard drive on my main computer (the Dell 27" All in one) with a cloned SSD drive. I suspect that will speed it up and keep it working for several more years.

Any good recommended "how to" web sites for cloning an operating system? My preference would be to just completely swap out the current drive with SSD.

This would seem to be a good how-to guide: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-copy-your-windows-installation-to-an-ssd. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

replaced the old hard drive with SSD. I did initially get the wrong adapter (it was USB-3.0, Doh! Like an old computer is going to have a USB-3.0 port!) so I needed to get powered power socket adapter that would run on a standard USB port.

machine runs like a champ now (my wife thanks you too!)

Kudos to the max!

I wish to God Microsoft hadn't killed off its remarkably easy and affordable Home Server and Home Server 2011 operating systems. I still run it, but it's unsupported.

Automatic imaging of every home PC every night, remote access to your files from any Internet connection, full bare-metal or individual file restore from a bootable DVD or USB drive, fault and update monitoring of every computer in the house, and many other great features made this economical and easy-to-administer version of Microsoft's server software the ultimate back-up solution for this user.

What a shame, like Windows Media Center, that it didn't take off in the greater marketplace.

Last edited:
So last week, my son left for the night to stay with his mother. I couldn’t find the tortilla chips so went into his room but could find them. I noticed his PC on with the black Insert operating disk message. I turned it off. When he returned, he asked why his HDD won’t start. It’s about 4 years old so it’s time. I told him to reinsert the cables. Still no boot.

The BIOS can see the 3Tb drive. I told him to check the boot order. First is 3Tb and second is Windows system 3Tb. After switching the boot order, it goes into a system update. It boots fine afterwards. My guess is Windoze tried to install an update, switched the boot order, then hung on the black screen of death. Maybe I’ll buy him a SSD for Christmas.

Last edited:
Back