back up altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labounty8

Reaction score
im building my loc phoenix for my level 2 cert and i am using a perfectflight mawd alt. i am thinking i also want to add a back up alt ,and was wondering what one would be best to use. another mawd or go with a different alt?

... i am using a perfectflight mawd alt...want to add a back up alt ,and was wondering what one would be best to use.

If you have another MAWD, that would work. If you're going to have to go out and buy one, I'd think something like a Perfectflite Alt15Kw2 would work well (it's similar to the MAWD in that it records data on the flight, but doesn't have any pyro channels).

im building my loc phoenix for my level 2 cert and i am using a perfectflight mawd alt. i am thinking i also want to add a back up alt ,and was wondering what one would be best to use. another mawd or go with a different alt?
I'm assuming you want a second set of ejection events to backup your MAWD.

Another MAWD would be a fine choice - you already understand how to mount and use it, so why learn another (although not really that big a deal). If you want to save a little money, PerfectFlite also sells the HiAlt45K that works well, too. HiAlt45K doesn't record and the mach delay and deployment altitude are set with jumpers. I have used the MAWD/HiAlt45K combination on many flights.

There are a lot of other good choices and when you get around to L3 certification you have to use two deployment devices (for TRA anyway).

--Lance.

The Arts II, or whatever version we're on. Good equipment and good service.

Featherweight Raven.

This is a fully featured recording altimeter with 4 pyro channels that is simple to use straight out of the box and there is no need to worry about mach inhibit if you think your flight might go fast. It is also very small and will fit almost anywhere if space is limited.

They cost $155 plus postage and you will get great service, backup and advice from Adrian who builds them. I have just ordered another along with one of his 38mm Avionics bays for a 38mm min diameter scratch build I will do during our "off" season.

Cheers,
Pete

yes i want to have two sets of ejection charges. just wasnt sure if i should use same kind or not . but it does make since to use same for back up because would be same setup and wont get confused. thanks!

I would recommend the Missileworks RRC2 Mini..You can set it to delay the charges..When I did my L3 attempt a couple months ago I used 2 Mini's and had the backup set to fire the charges 2 seconds after the measured event..I had it do the drogue 2 seconds after apogee..Some find the 2 button setup process intimidating. Just think of them as buttons on your mouse to change from one section to another..

i was thinking about the rrc mini but heard it was hard to setup. im looking for something easy to use and to have just in case main alt has problems.

There is also a slide switch on the mini..It comes pre-programmed with 2 'flight profiles'..Profile 1 is standard dual deploy with main at 500' ; profile 2 is standard dual deploy with main at 1000'..

Forgot to mention the slide switch..Just select which profile to use as it is preset..

I am sure it will..What type of e-matches will you use to ignite the charges? I have used christmas bulbs and m-tek ignitors with my minis before..

the ejection canisters from newtons 3rd rocketry have a 48 awg element built in to them so all you have to do is add black powder. they work good with my mawd.

I used two RRc2 Minis for my L2 cert flight. I left one stock (apogee + 500' main) then programmed the second one for apogee +1 sec and main at 700'.

Once you get the jist of how to program the minis it's really not that complicated. IMO, the instruction layout on the PDF is the biggest issue. Page 1 is in the upper right corner and so on. I actually printed them, cut each page out and stapled them together to make a nice linear booklet to make it easier for me to follow.

the ejection canisters from newtons 3rd rocketry have a 48 awg element built in to them so all you have to do is add black powder. they work good with my mawd.

Then, they will work with a mini as well..;)

Back