Back on the launch pad after 50 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG1959

Reaction score
Hello rocketry enthusiasts! Real name is Dean. I live in North Carolina. I'm 61 and I've been away from model rocketry for about 50 years however...

...all that changed when I was in Hobby Lobby the other day looking for paint for a model of The Expanse's Rocinante that I 3D printed when I saw the model rocket isle.
:bravo:
It called to me and awakened a long dormant passion I once had for the hobby. So, I left the store with my paint and about $100 worth of stuff to get started again. I bought a Tandem-X launch set that had everything I needed including two rocket kits. The Amazon and the Crossfire. I built the Amazon and my wife is going to build the Crossfire.

I was surprised to see plastic parts, which admittedly makes assembly easier for beginners. Took a few hours and I had an assembled rocket. I painted it and gave it a name myself. Looking forward to a first launch soon at a nearby wide open farm field. I also bought the Estes altitude recorder to attach to the nose cone. Something new for me. Before that we used a mechanical line of sight altimeter for a fairly close reading. In the pic you'll see the air flow holes drilled in the body tube near the nose cone as suggested in the instructions.

I'm sure I'll be building more soon, working my way back to an expert level and maybe even doing some scratch building. I got into rocketry in 5th grade at age 11. We had a great teacher that I still stay in touch with. His son and I were best friends all through the rest of our school years and we launched plenty of rockets together. Also looking forward to 3D printing rockets and components. In fact, as I type this I'm printing a V2, my favorite rocket with a close second being the Saturn V.

Attachments

• tandem-x kit.jpg
    tandem-x kit.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 68
  • Sky Candy-1 bench.jpg
    Sky Candy-1 bench.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Sky Candy-1 logo.jpg
    Sky Candy-1 logo.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Awesome story Dean.

Nice looking bird... love the fade job on the fins... and the custom name too.

Welcome to the site, from one BAR (Born Again Rocketeer) to another.

Sounds like great fun! It's way cool your wife is involved too!

Balsa is getting harder to come by, so plastic is getting popular. There are all kinds of electronics, motors, vendors.... in rocketry now - prepare your wallet now! :p

3d printed rockets and or parts is popular too - fin jigs, ejection baffles, whole fin cans.... The sky is the limit! :p

Hi, Dean,
Welcome back to the fold! And welcome to TRF.
Lots has changed in the last 50 years.
You'll find all the info you need from the threads found here. Lots of great folks that are BARs just like you.

Got out to do a launch yesterday! I discovered a location about 20 miles from my house where a local RC airplane club has a flying field set up. Met the land owner while we were there. Nice gentleman that used to farm the land but now leases it.
We got off three launches, all successful. I had the rocket well balanced so it flew straight and true. The smell of the engine smoke brought back many fond memories! :cool:

I uploaded a short video to my YouTube channel:

Launch site coordinates: 35.319465, -79.294321

launch site.jpg

Excellent video! Welcome back. Have fun and be safe. Consider joining NAR And finding a local club launch. It’s a Blast!

Welcome back Dean, and welcome to TRF. Beware, the BAR bug can bite hard! (BAR since 2005.)

Got out to do a launch yesterday! I discovered a location about 20 miles from my house where a local RC airplane club has a flying field set up. Met the land owner while we were there. Nice gentleman that used to farm the land but now leases it.
We got off three launches, all successful. I had the rocket well balanced so it flew straight and true. The smell of the engine smoke brought back many fond memories! :cool:

I uploaded a short video to my YouTube channel:

Launch site coordinates: 35.319465, -79.294321

Welcome back. The thrill never goes away, not even for a B6-4! I've been doing rocketry since 1966 with no real breaks, other than going 18 months without a launch thanks to COVID. The fun factor has always been there, no matter whether the motor was a Micro-Max 1/8A or an I211!

Mark J/NAR 14025 L1

Welcome back to the hobby Dean! Great looking rocket. You will find tons of help on TRF - and lots of friendly people who will give you a bazillion answers to any question, ha. So glad to see your wife is involved - mine recently got her HPR Level 1 certification, and she loves competition.

Have a great time catching up and be safe.

Stew

Back